Powder Scale Recommendations

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

Powder Scale Recommendations

Post by mr alexander »

I am trying to help a fellow shooter who has only been shooting Bullseye with a .22 to date. He wants to reload his own centerfire ammo and has gathered everything needed to start, except for a powder scale. He saw my RCBS 5-0-5 Scale and would prefer to get an analog/beam balance type that is similar to mine. Have any of you purchased a new one in the recent past? What brands and models are well made and which ones should be avoided? Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by mr alexander on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fc60

Re: Powder Scale Recommendations

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Watch eBay and other sites for an older Ohaus or RCBS 5-10 or 10-10 scale.

These were made in the USA and repeat very well.

The 5-0-5 scale, like yours, is also a good choice.

Personally, I like the rotating drum to adjust the weight from 0-10 grains.

Cheers,

Dave
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

fc60,

Thanks for the reply. Acquiring an older scale is certainly an option. We were curious about the ones that are being manufactured nowadays. A used scale can be a good way to go, as long as it was not abused or damaged by accident.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just about any scale will do. You need some kind of check weight(s), though.

I kind of like my Ohaus with the magnetic damping. Really, though, you need to read the "swing" of the arm and not wait for it to settle.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

This re buying a used electric scale: I bought an RCBS electric scale awhile back. Worked great for about 2 years, and then it stopped working. Since it had a "guarantee" I called them up to see what could be done. They could not fix it and the warranty was for only one year.... "tough luck." They would not give me a break on a new one and my old scale was worthless. 'Caveat emptor' on buying a used electric scale.... :-(
Last edited by 40xguy on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
william

Post by william »

Or... you might consider Plan B.

RCBS's Little Dandy powder measure doesn't have adjustments, and by definition can't get out of adjustment. Weighing charges becomes as necessary as sorting pellets. And you can take their rotor/charge chart to the bank!
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

If you can find one an Old Lyman M5 made by Ohaus. One of the best they ever made
David M

Post by David M »

Two scales needed..
A beam balance (magnetically damped) for powder charges gives best accuracy.
Small electronic scales for ease of weighing projectiles.
rmca

Post by rmca »

David M wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:32 pm Two scales needed..
A beam balance (magnetically damped) for powder charges gives best accuracy.
Small electronic scales for ease of weighing projectiles.
+1
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I've had an rcbs 5-0-5 scale for lots of years. I also have the check weights. This is a very good quality and accurate scale. I'd recommend to any person want to get into reloading to buy one of these then spend the rest of your life collecting various fancy accessories that may or may not work out. I think the check weights are a good investment too.

I also have a lil dandy and these are nice too. Just collect the rotors at slow pace so you don't notice how much they all cost.
Rover

Post by Rover »

william wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:52 am Or... you might consider Plan B.

RCBS's Little Dandy powder measure doesn't have adjustments, and by definition can't get out of adjustment. Weighing charges becomes as necessary as sorting pellets. And you can take their rotor/charge chart to the bank!
Not a scale, but works well. I used one to load all my pistol match ammo. You could calibrate a rotor by adding a drop of candle wax to the hole and scraping some out until you reached the desired weight.

I also had an RCBS powder measure with a micrometer adjustment. You would weigh a charge (any charge) and record the readings (powder and micrometer). Reset the measure and do it again. Plot the readings on graph paper. Then you could calculate the setting you wanted and throw.
You would need to do this for every powder you used, but it was WAY easier than setting the measure by trial and error.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

The best beam scale I have owned is the Scott Parker converted M5 Lyman. I agree if you are looking for a used one, get one of the older ones that were made in the U.S.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV