R.I.P. - Art Cook - 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist - 50m Smallbore Prone

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

PaulB

R.I.P. - Art Cook - 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist - 50m Smallbore Prone

Post by PaulB »

Arthur "Art" Cook, 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist in 50m Smallbore Prone, passed away on Feb.21, 2021. Art was an active competitive smallbore shooter for about 50 years. I had the pleasure of being on a Camp Perry national championship 4-person smallbore prone team with Art in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Co ... t_shooter)
Xman

Re: R.I.P. - Art Cook - 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist - 50m Smallbore Prone

Post by Xman »

My college coach made numerous references to Art And inspired the entire team to really knuckle down especially on prone with the adage that matches are won in standing and lost in prone. If you can’t go clean at 50 feet in Prone or you might as well hang it up.
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Arthur Edwin "Art" Cook
March 19, 1928- February 21, 2021

Arthur Edwin "Art" Cook, “the Cookie that would not crumble”, succumbed to Covid-19 induced kidney failure on February 21, 2021. He is best known for winning an Olympic Gold medal in London in 1948 at the age of 20, the youngest to do so until 17 year old Kim Rhode took home the Gold in women’s double trap, 48 years later at the 1996 Atlanta Games.

Cook began shooting in 1939 at Boy Scout Camp. His first major victory came in 1946 when he won the National Junior Smallbore Rifle Championship, after which he enrolled at the University of Maryland. There he led the school’s rifle team to the National Intercollegiate Team Championships in 1947 and 1949 and was named an All American three times, 1947-1949.

The diminutive Cook suffered from hay fever which was not helped by shooting from regularly mowed grass firing lines. To combat his itchy watering eyes and a runny nose, he shot both quickly and accurately, able to rattle off 20 Xs and tens in just three to five minutes.

At the 1948 London Olympics, his Gold was won on a tie breaker with fellow American Walter Tomsen as both had posted a 599X600, a world new record. Tomsen had dropped a point in his third string while Cook lost his in the last ten shots. In the end Cook out Xed Tomsen by one for the Gold. The Remington Model 37 “Rangemaster” he used is now on display at the National Firearms Museum and National Rifle Association Headquarters.

Returning from London with a full head of steam, Cook shot the 1948 National Smallbore Prone Championship, defeating two-time repeat winner Garrett W. Moore for the Critchfield Trophy. This was the first of his two national prone titles as he would win a second in 1960.

In 1951 he was commissioned into the U.S. Air Force, joining fellow Olympian Art Jackson and Dick Hanson to form the first of that service’s rifle team. Success was immediate for that year Cook won the prestigious Navy Cup Trophy, a 20 shot high power standing match, Jackson won the President’s Hundred Match, and Hanson took home the most prominent of all long range trophies, the Wimbledon.

Cook won the National Indoor Smallbore title in 1953 and again in 1957, the year he won the inaugural National Smallbore Rifle Outdoor Position Championship. The two victories made him the first to win both an indoor and outdoor position title as well as a prone crown. He followed that up with another outdoor position win in 1958.

Cook was a member of the U.S. team at the 1949 International Shooting Union (ISU now ISSF) World Championships, the 1951 Pan American Games, the 1952 ISU World Championships, and the 1954 ISU World Championships. In total he won three gold, three silver, and three bronze medals at these events.

Cook’s wife Mary, a fine shooter in her own right and a Randle Team alumna, suffers from a hearing disability which led Art to coach the U.S. Deaf Olympic Team in 1969 and 1993.

Art was a member of the 1953 and 1961 winning Pershing Teams, a member of the 1600 Club, and has been presented the NRA Smallbore Rifle Prone and International Distinguished Awards. He holds the US International Distinguished Shooters Badge and is a member of both the USA Shooting and University of Maryland Hall of Fame.

But, perhaps, the one thing that defines Cook’s shooting career is not his medals or trophies but his longevity which is marked by his membership on 15 US Dewar Teams. He made his first Dewar appearance in 1946 at 18 and his last in 1988 at 60 a span of 42 years.

We are diminished.
Tom-C

Post by Tom-C »

In the 2001/2002 timeframe when Al Fehlings was running junior matches at Quantico, I would help him set up, my daughter would shoot in the first relay and then I would take the Robinson High School team to lunch in Triangle. Art would often ask to join us. He enjoyed talking to the juniors. After the first one I asked the kids if they knew who that was and they of course did not. When I told them Art had won a Gold Medal in 1948 they were impressed.

Rest in peace.

Tom