mount and red dot for AW93

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Two Shanks

mount and red dot for AW93

Post by Two Shanks »

I just purchased a new AW93. What mount and which red dot are you guys using. Leaning toward an Aimpoint. Thanks
crankythunder

Re: mount and red dot for AW93

Post by crankythunder »

Hey two shanks:

There used to be two mounts available for the FWB AW 93.

The first one was made or distributed by Brezenovich and replaced the rear sight completely.

I have one of the Brezenovich mounts and I needed to specify the Brezenovich mount to Dick Horton so he could cut the relief required in the custom grips he made for me. It is a bit tricky whereas there are not that many red dots that fit that allow you to remove the bolt and properly clean the pistol without removing the red dot. I currently have a Holosun on mine and I can remove the bolt. The design requires the red dot to sit way back right above where the rear sight used to be.

The other one was a bridge that you had to remove both the front and rear sights, and it attached in the spaces for the sights and bridged over the pistol. That one you had to remove the mount and the red dot to clean the pistol. One of my teammates has this mount and he has not disassembled his pistol in quite some time.

Unfortunately, I do not think that either is available right now. You might be able to find one on eBay if you are patient.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Crankster
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

Excellent info thanks. Can you install the Brezenovich mount yourself or does it require a gunsmith.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

The Brenzovich mount was not available for a while, and their web site doesn't list it any longer. You probably need to call. I believe they prefer to install, because it isn't easy, and the grip does need to be modified as well. Depending on the year of your AW93, it may require some filing on the mount, as well.

The "bridge" type Cranky is referring to is the BME mount: https://www.bme-mounts.com/fas It replaces both the front and rear sights and provides a long rail. It' too, was unavailable but may be now.

There is a third option from Doug Hall: http://dheco.com/products.html It's similar to the Brenzovich but (IMO) has a better and more rigid clamping solution to the frame of the gun. I installed mine myself, with some trouble but nothing major. I was able to carve space into the grip to clear the mount, without punching through the back of the wood. It wasn't easy but I did get get a good result. He sells them on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Feinwerkbau-AW ... 4020926335 Pricey, but worth it given the uniqueness, and Doug is a great guy.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Thanks for updating my information TT:

When I purchased my FWB used four years ago, it came with a mount that I assume was a Brezenovitch. It could be a Doug Hall although it is silver.

I installed it without any problems, required removing some pins that held the rear sight down and reinstalling the pins with the mount in place.

I have not had a problem whatsoever with the red dot installed although I would prefer it mounted more centrally on the gun but I guess that it eliminates any fouling issues with the empty casing bouncing back into the action off the bridge or the red dot as experienced on other pistols (Benelli and S&W Model 41 for example). The grip modifications, well they are not something that a amateur gunsmith should attempt without a decent mill and the experience to use it. I suppose you could do it by hand with chisels but I would be very hesitant with a hard walnut grip although I have done similar work with hand chisels on other projects that would not be so visible. Basically, that lip on the back that hangs behind the rear sight mount with the hole in it is what you need to make clearance for in the grip. Right now my FWB is in Storage so I cannot get to it but I think that hole is for the cleaning rod to be used from the back of the gun when the slide (bolt) is removed. For what it is worth, I clean mine with a patchworm so that hole is not been utilized on mine.

The Bridge mount, I wanted one and kept inquiring but it was not in stock and no intensions to re start production, call in six months or so. After calling a couple times I gave up.
High Left

Post by High Left »

I thought the hole was for cleaning as well, but it's nowhere near aligned to the bore. A shame really.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Yeah, the hole does not align with the bore and is not useful for cleaning.

I vaguely recall figuring out why it's there, but now I can't remember. It works great for Doug's eccentric cam design though!
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

crankythunder wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:55 amI installed it without any problems, required removing some pins that held the rear sight down and reinstalling the pins with the mount in place.
Doug Hall's mount does not use pins, except for the long one that the stock rear sight uses as its pivot. So yours must be the Brenzovich.

At the rear, Doug's uses a clever cam-type rotating slug, and a setscrew to lock it. There are also two setscrews at the top, to apply additional upward pressure.

There are two additional threaded holes at the rear. But Doug told me they're never needed so he leaves them empty now.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Thanks TT!

Appreciate the Update.

Hope the original poster is able to get his FWB red dotted.

Have a good one guys.

Crankster
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

great forum. Looking back I should have ordered the mount and had it installed when I bought the gun. I do want to get some rink grips for it so I guess it would not have mattered. Appreciate all the advice.