grip for Ruger 22/45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

40xguy

grip for Ruger 22/45

Post by 40xguy »

Have an older style Ruger Mark III, 22/45 model. it's a nice pistol and would like to shoot bullseye with it. problem is the grip.... it's too small. seems like there ought to be a way to "bulk up" the grip but it does NOT have the removable side panels. Is there some way I could mold a grip for this or enlarge it in any way? if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing from you. thanks in advance. john davis
Last edited by 40xguy on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Rover

Re: grip for Ruger 22/45

Post by Rover »

Get some "kneadable epoxy" at the hardware store. It comes as a stick about the size of your finger.

You cut off a hunk and mash it together with your fingers for a while. Press it firmly on the grip in the shape you want.

Wait a short while until it hardens and shape with a file or sandpaper. You can apply more to continue.

You may want to put on a glove, but you can get the stuff off your hands with WD40.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

If you cant get some putty to stick, try hot glue.
Remember the mainspring housing.
Mike38

Post by Mike38 »

I used one of those Houge grip sleeves on my old model Ruger 22/45. Problem with that was you have to take it off to clean the pistol, it covers the take down lever. After only a couple cleanings, the grip sleeve tore.
JDR34

Post by JDR34 »

I replaced the OEM Ruger grips with a Pachmayr Signature 1911 wrap around grip on my Mark IV. With some trimming around the slide release lever it fit fine, although it required standard 1911 grip screws, the Ruger screws were too short. The Pachmayr grip made a substantially improved grip feeling. I'm using this gun for .22 EIC, at least I will when we are back to shooting .22 EIC matches.
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

Can upgrade to a MK3 or an older aluminum VQ mk2/MK3 frame with removable panels, can mill the grip frame flat and insert 1911 frame bushings to use Officer model size panels, or purchase a newer pistol that uses replacement panels.

As someone who milled down the grip to use 1911 Officer size panels, don't do it. Purchase another frame, use grip filler, or keep it as is and purchase another pistol.