freETarget

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Black_Talon

Re: freETarget

Post by Black_Talon »

There's already a commercial version of this available. They use it at the range I go to for 200m service rifle matches. It's been up and running for over a year now. Works just like the version in this thread, using the four microphones on the target backer but instead of a long USB cable, it uses bluetooth to a laptop or cellphone. I don't remember the name of it though. [embarrassed emoji]
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

Black_Talon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:35 pm There's already a commercial version of this available. They use it at the range I go to for 200m service rifle matches. It's been up and running for over a year now. Works just like the version in this thread, using the four microphones on the target backer but instead of a long USB cable, it uses bluetooth to a laptop or cellphone. I don't remember the name of it though. [embarrassed emoji]
there are a lot of electronic targets available. the problem is cost. most commercial systems are $1500+ . freETarget is $150+
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Moy

Post by Moy »

The ones you're seeing for 200 yard service rifle are probably only working for supersonic bullets. There's a couple ones like that - SOLO by silvermountain, and shotmarker (?). They're very slick, cost <$1000 (around $800 I think?), and connect wirelessly to your ipad or computer or whatever.

They explicitly do not work for subsonic bullets like you use for smallbore or air rifle.

I'm following along freETarget eagerly to see if it pans out. Also looks like a fun project (but I also have EE and Comp Sci degrees, so my definition of "fun" might be strange to some). I have yet to get approval to actually use it at my range though. I should ask about that. I think they'll say no :(
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

https://free-e-target.com/

tested another set of boards together with a 3D printed target face.
test_13_1.JPG
test_13_2.JPG
accuracy looks pretty good

20210221_144355.jpg
20210221_144333.jpg
20210221_154211.jpg
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Will you be offering the 3d printed face as an option for builders without access to a printer? Seems that it takes a large variable out of the way
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

ColinP wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:37 am Will you be offering the 3d printed face as an option for builders without access to a printer? Seems that it takes a large variable out of the way
the STL files for the 3D printer are on the site. 3D printers are quite common these days. even if you don't own one, you can find a printer shop nearby to do one print for you. if i could find a 3D printing shop in the middle of Transylvania, you can find one in the great US of A :)

each builder has the option to use the files or build the target housing after their own ideas/design
bking

Post by bking »

If you can’t find a 3D printer between friends, your library, etc there are also inexpensive online services like Shapeways. You just upload your file, specify what you’d like it made of and get it mailed.

Many on target talk have printers too, I’m sure if you posted asking someone would help you out cheap.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I had no idea really, since I retired I haven't given technology a second thought, I imagined they were something only the likes of NASA had! Shows what I know. I take it then that those STL files are universal?
bking

Post by bking »

Yep, anyone with any 3D printer can use that file.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I just received my circuit cards and I am now trying to find someone to 3D print the target face. The face measures 300 mm x 380 mm (11.8" x 14.9") and thus significantly larger than an average 3D printer can handle. I tried shapeways.com, an on line 3D printing service, but their estimating software indicates that the piece is too large for them to handle.

Since I live in Prescott, AZ I am now going to research 3D printers in the Phoenix area to see if someone there can accommodate this project. If someone out there has already found someone who can do this at a reasonable price, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis, aka dulcmrman
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Just received my first set of supplies for the feETarget too. I have a 3d printer too and its definitely too small for the target holder. So I will build a prototype out of wood instead.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

bdutton wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:35 pm Just received my first set of supplies for the feETarget too. I have a 3d printer too and its definitely too small for the target holder. So I will build a prototype out of wood instead.
I may end up going that route, but I'll continue to research the 3D printing for a bit. I posted on the freETarget web site and Allan got back to me almost immediately. There may be someone in Kansas City that will print the job for $100, or so I hope. Otherwise, I will also go with alternate materials.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i found a 3d printing shop in my city that had a big enough printer

this is the printer that was used: https://www.creatbot.com/en/creatbot-f430.html
ask around or buy one :)
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Thanks for the lead, Azmodan. The price of the printer you mention is about $4300, so I won't be buying one any time soon. The whole idea of freETarget is to get a decent electronic scorer for significantly less money than a similar commercial item, so buying such a printer seems self defeating.

I will continue to research 3D printing services to find one that can do the job at a reasonable price.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I will be documenting the steps I took to create the box and what additional supplies I used to get it all working. It may take a while though.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Got a rough draft of a frame setup using wood blocks to hold the sensors in place. Initial tests had all of my shots high left in the 6 ring despite shooting all over the bullseye. Not sure why its sensing all of the shots in (almost) in the same hole.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Idea for somebody with good cad skills and willing to contribute to society :)
It would be so nice to have an STL for the plate split in 4 pieces, with notches for assembly...

Just saying...
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

bdutton wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:43 am Got a rough draft of a frame setup using wood blocks to hold the sensors in place. Initial tests had all of my shots high left in the 6 ring despite shooting all over the bullseye. Not sure why its sensing all of the shots in (almost) in the same hole.
I figured out my problem was the face plate needed to be in place. The sensors were picking up the sound of the shot from the barrel and not the pellet passing through. I also had a misaligned sensor which combined fixed the problem. Now its just shot calibration and final setup.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Still need to fine tune the calibration to find out why I am getting the (3) flyers but otherwise nice to use.

UnGe

Post by UnGe »

bdutton wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:01 pm Still need to fine tune the calibration to find out why I am getting the (3) flyers but otherwise nice to use.
Please-please-please record everything you are doing... User walk throughs are much more useful than docs created by people who already know everything :)