Novice asking about 45 acp lead SWC

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Hamster

Novice asking about 45 acp lead SWC

Post by Hamster »

I've acquired a 1911 pistol (Springfield Range Officer) and would like to make up some light loads for Bullseye type shooting at 25 yards. I"m already reloading for a S&W K38 revolver (1952 made), using Bullseye powder under Hornady 148 gr HBWC bullets. Those are swaged lead, very soft, accurate. For .45 acp I've read that the classic load uses a 185 gr lead SWC bullet. Locally I don't see the Hornady swaged SWC .451 bullets in 185 gr but they are available in 200 gr. Is that close enough? Is it best to use lead bullets? I want to continue using the same powder, Bullseye (the only kind I have). There is no organized Bullseye shooting where I live (British Columbia) but I like the style (and do shoot in ISSF rules competition at 25m). I use a Lee Loader hand tool for 38 Spl, and have picked up a Lee hand press and 45 acp dies for this new venture. The only 45 acp cartridges commercially available around here are all 230 gr and I'm a ways off being able to shoot that load accurately single-handed. Looking for a light load for accuracy (and not interested in action shooting).
JKR

Re: Novice asking about 45 acp lead SWC

Post by JKR »

If you already have Bullseye powder, you’re in business. For 25 yards, 3.5 grains with a 200 lswc or 4 grains with a 185 lswc.
The 45acp isn’t fussy to load for and will shoot just about anything well at 25 yards. The above loads are old classics . You may even find that they shoot well at 50.
JKR
Rover

Post by Rover »

+1 Good advice.

In addition, on occasion, I have improved accuracy by going to a hotter or magnum primer.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Thanks to you both. Much appreciated.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I like the 185 grain SWCs in my Gold Cups and also use Bullseye most of the time. 3.8 grains works great for me.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV