Is it just me or is this forum slowly dying ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

Is it just me or is this forum slowly dying ?

Post by deadeyedick »

Please comment if you have noticed not only lethargic activity but diminished input from all but the few stalwarts.
Azmodan

Re: Is it just me or is this forum slowly dying ?

Post by Azmodan »

most forums are dying. young people prefect other social media formats (tiktok, instagram, etc.. )
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Probably true ....however in the twelve years I have been a member of TT the membership has been predominantly senior members.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

deadeyedick wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:40 am Probably true ....however in the twelve years I have been a member of TT the membership has been predominantly senior members and counting.
Some of us oldies do also use the new-fangled social media ;-)
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

That must be where everyone is....🙃
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

Groups like this took over from email lists which had taken over from chat rooms ... now everyone is on twitbook, instachat, and facegram.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Rover

Post by Rover »

It may be that the forum is dying. If so, I think it must be that our sport(s) is. Spray and pray seems more attractive than the ability to actually hit your target.
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

Rover wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:56 pm It may be that the forum is dying. If so, I think it must be that our sport(s) is. Spray and pray seems more attractive than the ability to actually hit your target.
Well, I will say that the sport of precision shooting is not welcoming to newcomers ...
sparky

Post by sparky »

Rover wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:56 pm It may be that the forum is dying. If so, I think it must be that our sport(s) is. Spray and pray seems more attractive than the ability to actually hit your target.
I agree, the sport is slowly dying. There are *very* few local matches out there. I'm lucky to live in an area that actually has one. I'd say COVID-19 hasn't helped matters this year.
However, I think that pointing and blaming other shooting disciplines ("spray and pray," etc) is counterproductive. Instead, I think it would be more advantageous to set up side matches at bigger matches of other disciplines to promote folks to cross over. If folks are willing to spend big bucks on one discipline, they might be willing to do so in another.
FWIW, I was primarily a IPSC/USPSA shooter for the longest time. I now shoot in a bullseye league, a 10m AP league, and try to hit some skeet, trap, and sporting clays matches.
Last edited by sparky on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

sparky wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:38 pm
Rover wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:56 pm .....Spray and pray seems more attractive than the ability to actually hit your target.
....pointing and blaming other shooting disciplines ("spray and pray," etc) is counterproductive...
Rover nailed it. Change happens, and it has been evolving away from precision shooting for over twenty years. Tactical games currently rule. It appears that the wankers behind us shoot in video games and have more interest in watching beach volleyball. I have to admit, even at my advanced age I never knew volleyball could be so much fun. Chasing the 10-ring and interest in the firearms (volleyball, too), can be enjoyed solo. This forum will support that conversation until we all age out of it, or funding dries up and Scott pulls the plug.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Our club closed the indoor range for several months due to COVID 19. That left the outdoor range, which is 25 yards only. A large number of people in the defensive/combat shooting crowd are convinced that you can't possibly hit anything that far away, and stayed home. Others showed up occasionally, and sure enough, the vast majority can't hit anything that far away. They shot the heck out of the baffle system, and blasted quite a few target frames to bits.

I usually had the place to myself, but occasionally someone else would show up. They were amazed that anyone could keep all their shots in the black one handed, even with a .22. On rare occasions (like 1 in 30), someone will ask for pointers. The rest of them just shoot the place up & think that's normal.
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

It's dying. Sadly.

Infested by rats that roam freely, parasites and bats here and there.

Scam artists trying to scam each other.

Feels like the remains of Chernobyl.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Up yours OJ!

You joined two months ago; whiny little brat. You still don't have a pistol.

For the new precision shooters: If you actually go to a match, you will be greeted by the most welcoming, helpful people you could hope for. The real people you meet at a match are accommodating of knowledge, sharing of skill, and most important: RESPECTFUL.

But you gotta be a shooter, you gotta go to a match, and you gotta compete.

The fate of nations, the skill of this country, and the future of America depends upon the veteran shooters like us, here on Target Talk.
spektr

Post by spektr »

oddjack wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:04 pm It's dying. Sadly.

Infested by rats that roam freely, parasites and bats here and there.

Scam artists trying to scam each other.

Feels like the remains of Chernobyl.
So OJ

So how about you kill this forum off a little faster by leaving? Why keep being a part of the problem?
All you have done here is ask for help, get solid answers from a number of different sources,
bitched about them and for me at least, made me quite happy to have not made your acquaintance.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

Gwhite wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:37 pm Our club closed the indoor range for several months due to COVID 19. That left the outdoor range, which is 25 yards only. A large number of people in the defensive/combat shooting crowd are convinced that you can't possibly hit anything that far away, and stayed home. Others showed up occasionally, and sure enough, the vast majority can't hit anything that far away. They shot the heck out of the baffle system, and blasted quite a few target frames to bits.

I usually had the place to myself, but occasionally someone else would show up. They were amazed that anyone could keep all their shots in the black one handed, even with a .22. On rare occasions (like 1 in 30), someone will ask for pointers. The rest of them just shoot the place up & think that's normal.
Interesting story although sad from a "purist" target shooter's point of view.
However, it is a reminder that we are a relatively small sport that is always under attack from outsiders. Also, people participate for a large variety of reasons. We must try to embrace them all and work on encouraging responsible behaviour and good levels of competence. Otherwise we just give our enemies ammunition (intended!)
Trickle-down economics has a low success rate but in our western culture, the trickle-down process is possibly the most effective way of encouraging shooters to become champions in their chosen discipline. We old timers must allow them to start at their own pace and provide them with continuous encouragement (but not overdone). A delicate balance.
The sport needs to promote its symbols - responsible sportsmen and women as well as its high achievers to pave the way for the future. Or it will be destroyed by its enemies to whom the media just love to give air.
Rant finished!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Rover
Report Quote
Post by Rover » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:56 pm

It may be that the forum is dying. If so, I think it must be that our sport(s) is. Spray and pray seems more attractive than the ability to actually hit your target.

That’s pretty much how I see the situation here in Australia...It seems that a lot of either very inexperienced shooters or those that are not naturally gifted, or those that can’t be bothered putting in the hard yards gravitate to the “spray and pray” events which provide a loud and frantic adrenaline rush.

This has a negative effect on numbers that shoot precision oriented events such as Air Pistol, Standard Pistol, Free Pistol, and Centrefire/Sport Pistol.
william

Post by william »

My comments were misdirected. I apologize to seamaster.

But all my scorn for oddjack remains.
Last edited by william on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Dying compared to what? When was this forum in the bloom of health? Coming from the great experience of less than 3 months and less than 40 posts. Declaring us "dying" is like driving by a highway accident scene and describing the precise sequence of events which led up to the crash, diagnosing the injuries of all the parties, and estimating the exact cost of the bodywork while you're at it.
William...this May need further clarification.

Is precision pistol shooting in a state of decline? Sure, but I've seen plenty of superb junior shooters at major matches. Somehow I think the sport and the forum will survive

I feel this will be the case as well...albeit in a less populated form.
Aren't there some political message boards where the OP's venting talents might be more appreciated?
Add to this juvenile comments by elderly men who should know better.

Being the OP William I would ask you to re read and understand the question that was asked.
Please comment if you have noticed not only lethargic activity but diminished input from all but the few stalwarts

The question was for others to give their opinion as to whether they have seen a gradual diminishing of posts and sensible technical replies recently.
I have been active with TT for twelve years and have certainly seen less activity lately and I am curious as to whether others have noticed similar changes.

No wish or intention for the forum or Olympic Pistol shooting to fail was intended and no declaration of the forum was dying was included....simply asking if others felt that interest may be waning.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

I like this forum more than social media because it has less political junk on and is basically all about air gun shooting. Great advice from great shooters, I'm pretty new to air pistol and love it. I started with a 717, then bought a FWB65 over a year ago but would like to get some adjustable target grips for it sometime, it's kind a front heavy for me. I just got a Izzy I really like and shot my personal best 480 with it so far.
Probably a little slow on the forum because of the virus and for me it's warm out and I have lots of outdoor honeydoos and I'm shooting more Bullseye since it's nicer out.
Stan
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

Even though I had to sell all my pistols and equipment due to financial issues I still visit almost daily. If things go well I may be able to participate in the monthly 10 m sometime this Fall.