Buying Scoring Aids

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dulcmr-man

Buying Scoring Aids

Post by dulcmr-man »

I did a quick search here regarding "scoring aids" aka gauges, plugs, overlays, etc. Once upon a time I had all of these in my kit but they have somehow gone missing, so I need to replace them. I'm looking for plugs in .22, .32, and .45 as well as a set of overlays. These are available on Champion's Choice at $10 each for the plugs and $7 for a set of two overlays. Not bad. Then they want nearly $20 for shipping which I find exorbitant.

Does anyone know of a less expensive option, or should I just suck it up and pay them?

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
crankythunder

Re: Buying Scoring Aids

Post by crankythunder »

Good Morning.

In our league we do not use plugs until overlays and eagle eyes have been tried.

We use the eagle eyes for the most part.

Yes, shipping will pinch you but you might want to try eBay and amazon for some of those items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/177-22-Eagle-E ... SwwvZZSWCu

Regards,
Cranky
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

All you really need is overlays. Plugs are used only by Match Officials at Precision Pistol competitions upon request ("Plug!"). Inserting anything or manipulation of the target by the scorer or shooter is not allowed. Most match programs will be specific about this.

However if you want some, go ahead. But remember if you order the .32 Plug, be sure to specify if it's for NRA (actual .32) or ISSF (Olympic) which scores .38. Sometimes Champion's Choice .32 plugs are not marked and must be measured. (Anybody need a .32 plug that scores .38?)

CR
jscot111

Post by jscot111 »

If you call Champions Choice and place your order by phone they will ship small items by priority mail if you ask at a much lower cost.
Scott
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

jscot111 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:50 am If you call Champions Choice and place your order by phone they will ship small items by priority mail if you ask at a much lower cost.
Scott
Thanks for the input from everyone, especially from Scott. It never occurred to me to actually "call" them. Too much internet for me lately, I guess.

Regarding plugs, I am familiar with the scoring rules about their use. Our league is informal and I'm sure that the overlays would do just fine. We do have some newbie shooters and I'm hoping to educate them about our sport.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

What CR said. But the only official scoring per the rulebook is with the plug. So I always have one in the box for my own use in practice, etc.