Inband Air electronic target review

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ramon OP

Inband Air electronic target review

Post by Ramon OP »

Hi fellow shooters,

I've published a review of a low cost electronic target from Finland that I think will be interesting for you: https://www.olympicpistol.com/inband-ai ... et-review/

Less than half the price of the usual targets and it includes software to manage competitions.

I've really liked to shoot at it at home with a reduced distance, which is very easy to set in the target (I used a rifle target at 5.13m).

Please let me know if I've missed something or you would like to know something else.
Ramon
-TT-

Re: Inband Air electronic target review

Post by -TT- »

Wow very nice and congratulations on being able to test and review. It looks like a very nice setup, especially for home practice.

I can't help but say though, you should really take this out of your living space. Lead is not something I'd want there in any form, especially not with kids present. Be careful, in any event!

How accurate do you think it is? I'm surprised it uses microphones to be able to locate the shot so precisely. Is it sensitive to pellet or bullet size/caliber?
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Acoustic measurement has been there for ages. Almost all the manufacturers has been using it at some point and many still uses it. It is accurate, but cheaper to produce than optical.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

-TT- wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:39 pm I can't help but say though, you should really take this out of your living space. Lead is not something I'd want there in any form, especially not with kids present. Be careful, in any event!

How accurate do you think it is? I'm surprised it uses microphones to be able to locate the shot so precisely. Is it sensitive to pellet or bullet size/caliber?
I've thought about the lead issue and I have contacted an expert in Brussels to see if I can get some practical information to share.

What I'm doing the few times I've shot at home is ventilate a lot before my wife and the kids come back (they are never home when I shoot). The target is placed in an area where they don't really go, only pass close by.

For the accuracy, I've sent your question to the manufacturers so that they can answer you. This is not a new technique, it is at least used by some SIUS targets. When shooting the impacts felt right.
Ramon
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

thank you ramon. is the built quality good?
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

ghostrip wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:44 am thank you ramon. is the built quality good?
Excellent. It really looks good. Well finished product.
Ramon
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Ramon OP wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:10 amI've thought about the lead issue and I have contacted an expert in Brussels to see if I can get some practical information to share.

What I'm doing the few times I've shot at home is ventilate a lot before my wife and the kids come back (they are never home when I shoot). The target is placed in an area where they don't really go, only pass close by.
I'd be concerned about spatter at the target, and lead dust at the shooting line (from the muzzle). Ventilation really won't help with that, because there's no volatile component here. Lead is quite insidious in the home, and has a significant affect on young brains and nervous systems.
For the accuracy, I've sent your question to the manufacturers so that they can answer you. This is not a new technique, it is at least used by some SIUS targets. When shooting the impacts felt right.
Thank you so much! I'd love to hear some more.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

-TT- wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Thank you so much! I'd love to hear some more.
here another video explaining how an electronic target works (these are SIUS, the official ISSF EST used in all international competitions): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR0nLnv37zQ

the INBAND target works on the exact same principle.. but it;s just cheaper, and just as accurate
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I'd be concerned about spatter at the target, and lead dust at the shooting line (from the muzzle). Ventilation really won't help with that, because there's no volatile component here. Lead is quite insidious in the home, and has a significant affect on young brains and nervous systems.
TT life is brief... and I feel you may be focusing on the negative and not the positive. I can seriously say that if I felt like you then pistol shooting would not be my sport of choice.
prowling

Post by prowling »

Great work on a very thorough review Ramon, and some good food for thought on future features and updates.

I represent the InBand EST Systems here in the USA (www.inband.us), and also shoot regularly in multiple disciplines, both ISSF and Conventional. These are a great option for individuals and clubs looking for solid, reliable, simple, performance driven products that are designed by and made for shooters.

Regarding the concern about lead issues in one's home, some information from both NRA and USAShooting publications after multiple studies:

Firearms that use cartridges generate most of the lead contamination found on shooting ranges as a result of burning propellants and primers. Obviously, this isn't a consideration in the air gun disciplines. However, each time someone handles pellets, a small trace of lead is left on their hands and can be transferred to other parts of their body or to food. It's therefore recommended that hands be washed thoroughly with cold water and soap following any contact with pellets.

Backstops with hard surface deflection will obviously result in some spatter, but again, at the velocity that the pellets travel at from target-style air guns, there is very little. The soft lead and low velocity results in deformation, with practically no loss of mass. Duct media stops and collector-style traps result in practically no trace residue. For those with deflector style stops, a simple swifter (a type of wet mop with disposable sheets) of the surrounding floor area should suffice in mitigating any amount present.

Of course, it's up to the end user to decide how much risk they are personally comfortable with, but I have no qualms about shooting lead pellets from my air pistol at 500fps into duct seal in my home. Your results may vary ...
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If the system is strictly acoustic, I assume the paper roll is essential to record shots in the "black". I know some systems use the paper as a secondary record to deal with missed shots, crossfires & other oddities, but they may use optics as their primary sensing system.

If the paper roll is hit with every shot to generate an acoustic signal, it has to move far enough between shots to minimize the likelihood of "doubles." For example, let's say I shoot a 12:00 six, and the paper advances enough to move that hole down to a center ten. I then get my act together, and I shoot a center 10. Theoretically, I might not "hit" the paper roll with the 2nd shot. That's virtually impossible, and even a perfect double might make a bit of noise. Even if I just nick the previous hole, the acoustic signal could be weakened enough to miss the shot.

Is that a practical consideration? How far does the paper move for air pistol, and how many shots per roll? I assume they can move it less for air rifle.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:02 am Is that a practical consideration? How far does the paper move for air pistol, and how many shots per roll? I assume they can move it less for air rifle.
Certainly on the Sius 10m systems we have at Bisley there is an internal rifle/pistol switch that alters the amount of wind-on of the paper roll. If it's set up correctly, and the paper roll hasn't jammed, the wind-on ensures that a shot hole in the black is wound on allowing a clean black sheet for the next shot.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

It is explained in the article: 1cm by default and you can change it to whatever you want. Also that it is not used to detect the impact and would detect a shot in exactly the same hole.
Ramon
prowling

Post by prowling »

I have my home InBand Air system set to advance 1mm per shot. After several hundred shots, I've yet to encounter any issues with a double being so perfect that it creates a registration error ...
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

OK, so I'm a real tyro when it comes to electronic targets. Am I to understand that a backing roll is "required" to make this system work properly?

What about other systems? Do they also need paper backing to work?

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Yes, it is needed. At least Sius and Intarso make targets with roll to check shots in competitions when there are complaints.

I've had issues shooting on targets that did not have a roll and they are a pain to find out who is wrong (machine or shooter).

The target behind the roll is what is needed for the detection of the shot, but it is a standard electronic target with a whole instead of the black part of the target.

Some systems allow for a witness paper target to be installed behind (like Meyton), but after a while the target becomes useless (1 card for sighting and match shots).

I'm about to test a different electronic system that uses regular paper targets and a camera: https://toptargetsystem.com/ They even have a model that can be installed with cable carriers already present in ranges.

I love electronic targets for their comfort, and love paper targets to see my shots. Electronic targets have a lot of potential to give shooters insight and not just results.

Ps: Language question from a non English speaking native: is the bullseye the whole black circle or only the 10 ring?
Ramon
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Ramon OP wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:15 am

Ps: Language question from a non English speaking native: is the bullseye the whole black circle or only the 10 ring?
Inner ten
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
BarrelRider

Post by BarrelRider »

Thanks for the detailed review!

This resource regarding lead might be useful - https://www.usashooting.org/library/Yo ... SASCMP.pdf
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Thanks. I've read it and refer to it a lot when talking about ranges and competitions. Unfortunately I don't think it is applicable to home environments
Ramon
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Ramon:

I am interested in this using bullseye type targets and 22 LR.

It says that it is ok to use 22LR but I am wondering if I ever have that errant shot that is outside of the scoring window and hits the front face plate. what is the gauge or thickness of that front plate and can it handle a direct 22 LR hit.

Also, does the software support NRA Precision Pistol Slow, and Timed and Rapid Fire Targets? If so, what distance would it be shot at (25 foot, 50 foot, 25 yards? etc).

Regards,
Cranky