SCATT Expert vs Professional

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ramon OP

SCATT Expert vs Professional

Post by Ramon OP »

Hi fellow shooters.

Today I've written a long post with my review of the SCATT Expert software compared to the professional one https://www.olympicpistol.com/scatt-exp ... l-shooter/

Although I really like the Expert interface I'm sticking to Professional mainly due to the lack of files I can automatically sync to the cloud.

I would really appreciate learning about your own experience and preferences.

Hope you are all doing fine and training whichever way you find. Take good care!
Last edited by Ramon OP on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramon
400driver

Re: SCATT Expert vs Professional

Post by 400driver »

Hi Ramon,
I am so disappointed that I upgraded without knowing what I now know!

Pro was so useful , with so much information in an easy to use and clearly viewable format . I have contacted Scatt to find out when we can expect the new software to be even half as good as the old. I loved the comparisons I could do between sessions on the previous version, you could really see where small changes made or didnt make a difference.

I posted on the new Scattusa forum asking for details on the coming improvements but my topic was deleted by the next morning. I love my Scatt products but wish I had kept my old wifi model. If you need a camera based system , download the software and look at some sample files from each so you can see how easy/not easy to study individual data is.

Lets hope they can get it up to its previous best soon!
RyanA

Post by RyanA »

400Driver:
I have an Mx-02 and I am able to use both versions of the software with it. Which Scatt device are you using?
Ryan
400driver

Post by 400driver »

The latest one with the camera MX W2. Not sure it works with the previous version!
Would be great if it did.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Yours has option of both, mine only has the ' Expert.'
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

400driver wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 am Yours has option of both, mine only has the ' Expert.'
It is still a great software :) Write to scatt with your requests. If many of us send recommendations they will probably take them into account.
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

400driver wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 am Yours has option of both, mine only has the ' Expert.'
It is still a great software :) Write to scatt with your requests. If many of us send recommendations they will probably take them into account.
400driver wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm Hi Ramon,

Pro was so useful , with so much information in an easy to use and clearly viewable format . I have contacted Scatt to find out when we can expect the new software to be even half as good as the old. I loved the comparisons I could do between sessions on the previous version, you could really see where small changes made or didnt make a difference.

I posted on the new Scattusa forum asking for details on the coming improvements but my topic was deleted by the next morning. I love my Scatt products but wish I had kept my old wifi model. If you need a camera based system , download the software and look at some sample files from each so you can see how easy/not easy to study individual data is.

I understand your feeling. This is why I've ended up deciding to buy the MX-02, although I have the nagging feeling that the moment it arrives SCATT will announce a mobile app only compatible with the Wi-Fi models...

Too bad the MX-W2 does not work as the MX-02 when connected to the computer with the USB cable, which would allow for a workaround, but I think that the best quick option would be to have .scatt-expert files open also on the Professional software.
Ramon
400driver

Post by 400driver »

I got my hopes raised yesterday when you mentioned that yours worked with the pro software!
I have emailed them and they said that new features were coming and that the new code allowed them to provide a better product. That was nearly a year ago!

As I am nothing but an enthusiastic amateur, I carry no weight and will have to just accept that the more expensive product is inferior to its older sibling.

An example of a funny change is that under pro, the blue trace in 20/100 of a second and the Expert is at 30/100. All my previous traces allowed me to compare my triggering based on those parameters. I would have thought I'd be able to change it in Expert, but as of now, that is not possible.
The time shift graph is very hard to decipher in comparison to the old one which would take up most of the page. The new one sits in a tiny window. I will take some screen shots when I can.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

400driver wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:43 am An example of a funny change is that under pro, the blue trace in 20/100 of a second and the Expert is at 30/100. All my previous traces allowed me to compare my triggering based on those parameters. I would have thought I'd be able to change it in Expert, but as of now, that is not possible.
The time shift graph is very hard to decipher in comparison to the old one which would take up most of the page. The new one sits in a tiny window. I will take some screen shots when I can.
Yes, I noticed the same inconsistency. The graphs have lost the marks under 0.5" too, which makes it harder to see the difference.

You can see the graphs a bit bigger by clicking on the paperclip icon over the graph itself. It will then be overlayed on the bottom of the target, but it is still hard to read.
Ramon
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Is this how the top tier of Scatt software should be?
See how in the Pro , i could compare my results with that of someone good. Now the end of shot report is nowhere near as good as the previous.
The top picture is of the expert, the windows at the bottom of the screen are not really visable in any detail.
If you are thinking of upgrading , have a play with the software before parting with your money.
Attachments
Scattexample.pdf
(105.59 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Screenshot 2020-03-22 20.02.28.png
Screenshot 2020-03-22 20.06.48.png
Screenshot 2020-03-22 20.06.32.png
Screenshot 2020-03-22 20.06.09.png
AHenricsson

Post by AHenricsson »

Ramon OP wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:42 am
400driver wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm Hi Ramon,

I understand your feeling. This is why I've ended up deciding to buy the MX-02, although I have the nagging feeling that the moment it arrives SCATT will announce a mobile app only compatible with the Wi-Fi models...

Too bad the MX-W2 does not work as the MX-02 when connected to the computer with the USB cable, which would allow for a workaround, but I think that the best quick option would be to have .scatt-expert files open also on the Professional software.
I heard from Peter at Scatt that they are working on a mobile app. I don't know if it will work with the MX-02 but I doubt it. Still I'd rather have a model that works with Scatt Professional than one that works on mobile. While mobile might be convenient I don't think it will be very useful. Even if I had tablet I'd probably prefer to use Scatt with a laptop anyway.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

A mobile ap is great, can't wait to see how small the window will be on your ipad if it's barely readable on a laptop.
I think before working on a mobile ap they have a duty to leave the Expert as good as the previous version. I'd settle for exactly the same functionality.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

From what I've read in the SCATT forum, the new mobile app is only for the wireless model. I've asked if we will be able to at least use it to see our files but have not received a response yet.

It is really worth it to go to the Scatt forum. There are lots of helpful tips and their team is very quick to reply and help https://forum.scatt.com/
Ramon