Metronome with dry fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Metronome with dry fire

Post by seamaster »

Met someone who dry fire with a metronome.

He said it is more efficient and works wonder.

Anyone tried that combo?

What is your timing then on coming down to aim area, trigger, follow through, bench rest? 1x, 1x, 1x, 2x ?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Metronome with dry fire

Post by atomicgale »

I did this technique against a ticking clock using my Morini 162EI. Tried to time my trigger control, so that I couldn't hear the trigger click over the tick of the clock.

(Note, the trigger on the Steyr won't reset that fast.)

Post-mortem: Ended up throwing the clock out & buying a sweep hand.

Double-post-mortem: The pistols might go in the trash next, depending on my results at the Dixie Double this weekend in Anniston.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

:-)

Chip
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

In theory, this might help. However, it could just as easily encourage you to force shots off in order to meet an arbitrary timing "deadline".

If it works for you, great. Just be aware that it could subtly induce poor trigger control. As soon as you think about "firing the shot" (whether timed to a metronome or not), you are not going to shoot as well as if you let the shot happen as a result of a steady trigger squeeze.

As long as you either constantly increase pressure on the trigger, or constantly keep it moving to the rear (depends on the mechanics of your trigger), it WILL fire. "When" is a question of how quickly you ramp things up.

That said, the metronome might help in timing the rate of pressure increase or motion. Just don't fall into the trap of forcing the shot off on a particular "tick."
6string

Post by 6string »

Using a metronome has it's place.
Sustained dry fire practice with revolver, be it timed or rapid fire. Of course this is more a bullseye reply than int'l.

Jim
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

I'll agree with GWhite above, in that Metronome dry firing has its limits . . . however . . .

On this technique - to isolate the actual trigger break & get a repetitive "feel" for that break - is where the benefit of this drill applies.

For example, my "Clock-Ticking Drill": My goal was to dry fire exactly 60 clicks straight in-sync with the second hand. Try it. One minute. 60-straight.

Now, where GWhite is exactly correct, sustained repetitive dry fire can develop bad habits in the full continuum of "Trigger Control." Again for example, in the 60-straight drill, if your timing or "feel" goes off - it goes WAY OFF. I mean you go "Completely Bonkers" and lose all technique - you know it immediately and it's obvious.

So you start over & try it again . . . .

. . . and again . . . .
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I am unsure of the benefits regarding single shot precision using the metronome approach however you will undoubtedly have to develop an inner metronome to be successful in something like Standard Pistol 10 second series.