How to safely decock Walther SSP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
uladz

How to safely decock Walther SSP?

Post by uladz »

I have recently acquired Walther SSP and getting to know the pistol and how to operate it. I have read through the manual and it does not explain how to decock it, once i pull the slide back and release it firing pin will be cocked and dry firing is not an option. Can anyone tell me how to do it safely if I don't have a dry firing insert for SSP? I read somewhere that you can pull back slide and release the trigger to decock it to prevent the firing pin hitting the chamber. Please advise, thank you!
KH250

Re: How to safely decock Walther SSP?

Post by KH250 »

All you can do is pull back the slide about 2 to 3 mm and release the trigger. The striker will not touch the barrel. It does not matter if it hits the barrel as contact happens every time you fire a shot. The contact point on the barrel is well away from the chamber and the load is spread over a reasonable area. Check out the shape of the end of the striker. On mine you can see a clear rectangular contact point on the barrel.
uladz

Post by uladz »

Thank you for the info, much appreciate it! Will inspect the barrel and striker contact point, still learning mechanics of this pistol.
uladz

Post by uladz »

Yep, that works!
Darren

Post by Darren »

You could also put a yellow plastic screw anchor in the chamber and discharge on this. They even eject in my rimfires.
uladz

Post by uladz »

Yes this is a neat trick. But when I eject it by moving the slide back it will also cock the trigger again. Yellow anchors work great as dummy rounds but I’m afraid it will not for just decocking. Thank you for this idea!
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

uladz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:03 am Yes this is a neat trick. But when I eject it by moving the slide back it will also cock the trigger again. Yellow anchors work great as dummy rounds but I’m afraid it will not for just decocking. Thank you for this idea!
Just leave it in.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
uladz

Post by uladz »

good point :)