Champion Shooters Supply

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

blg

Champion Shooters Supply

Post by blg »

Did Champion Shooters go out of business?
MikeBoy

Re: Champion Shooters Supply

Post by MikeBoy »

Unfortunately, yes. Over the last couple of years Carl had handed over the operations to his Son-inlaw. Unfortunately, the business could not survive the combination of divorce and Carl's accident this past summer.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Bummer. I used to buy a lot of stuff from them. They will be missed.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Does anyone know what happened, or will happen, to their remaining inventory?
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Inventory most likely sold off. Freeland items are now offered by Creedmoor.
Regards,
Ken
WingsFan

Post by WingsFan »

Some Freeland items have been sold through Creedmoor but are all out of stock. I emailed Creedmoor and they said they didn't know what would happen to the Freeland line, they have not talked to Carl, but they would like to continue offering it.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

What happened to Carl if I'm not being too nosy. Seeing them during Perry was like visiting family.
OhioTargeteer

Post by OhioTargeteer »

The last time I talked to a Champion Shooters employee was in September and it was TODD. I inquired about several items and each time he said: " ...we don't carry it any more...it's out of stock...we don't make it anymore.." Then he berated me for using a catalog dated 2018 saying"...oh, that's almost 2 years old...! Bottom line: he was very rude. He even refused to verify his name when I said I could not hear it. Imagine that: a shooter since 1970 who can't hear too well!

Then at the begining of October the website disappeared, the talk phone number was disconnected, and finally the order line was disconnected.
Draw your own conclusions. Mine is that they are gone, gone, gone!
Fresco04

Post by Fresco04 »

I have been close friends of the Jooss's (Carl & Sandy) for years. If anyone has any questions, fire away.

Someone asked about Carl and his hospitalization. In July of this year, while trimming trees on his property, a branch struck him on the back of the head, and he has been in hospitals and care facilities since. He has made a good recovery; but has a long way to go. He has lost a certain amount of function on the left side of his body, and we are all praying that will come back in time. There is hope that he might be able to go home before this year is out, but that is uncertain at best. The family does appreciate all prayers and visits for Carl.

In regards to their business (Champion Shooters Supply); I could probably write a book on that unfortunate story. Someone mentioned earlier a divorce and Carl's injury was the cause of decline -it predates those events by at least a couple of years. Bottom line; Carl and Sandy turned over the business to their son-in-law (Todd) back in 2015-16ish, and that tenure did not go well. The company was horribly managed, debts started to pile up, and most of the employees left by the early part of this year (2019). For the first time in 45+ years Champion Shooters did not go to Camp Perry this year.

For the past 60 days, the company website & facebook page disappeared, E-Mails were no longer answered, and then the phone was disconnected. The strange thing is, according to the Jooss's, Todd never officially closed down Champion Shooters Supply, he just walked away and abandoned the place. Last thing I heard was that he fled to Michigan to try his hand at custom-made knives.

The next step will be the divorce; for which the company is being dragged into. I am not sure what will become of the Inventory (especially the Freeland Line of products, for which they owned the designs and copyrights), but for all purposes the place is most likely closed -and probably for good.

The end of a 50 year old family business.
Fresco04

Post by Fresco04 »

Ironic, OhioTargeteer posted earlier how Todd berated him for using an "old" 2018 catalog. I don't think the owner has printed a new catalog since 2017. I noticed that my 2017 & 2018 catalogs were identical; except that the 2018 one had a sticker with the newer year on it. Peeled it off, and the year 2017 was underneath.
WingsFan

Post by WingsFan »

Any chance the Jooss' could sell the Freeland line to another company like Creedmoor? They have been selling some of the Freeland products and have the operations to continue making and selling Freeland gear for a very long time.
Abi

Post by Abi »

They were noticeably missed at Perry this year. I hope Carl's health improves.
Fresco04

Post by Fresco04 »

WingsFan wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 pm Any chance the Jooss' could sell the Freeland line to another company like Creedmoor? They have been selling some of the Freeland products and have the operations to continue making and selling Freeland gear for a very long time.
Interesting you mention; for such an idea was proposed earlier this year. Bear in mind that -from what I understand- the Jooss's no longer own Champion Shooters Supply, but handed it over to their son-in-law Todd several years ago.

By early this year (2019), Todd wanted out of the business, and was wanting understanding & support from the Jooss's to sell it to another company, and Creedmoor was one that was mentioned.

I'm not exactly sure what ended this idea, perhaps the looming divorce, mounting debts and collection agencies, or the work involved executing this plan -but it seemed to die out by this past summer. Instead the owner just locked the doors and left. He was the only one working there by that point. What happens next? Perhaps the divorce may bring some clarity to this question.
greytuono

Post by greytuono »

I came across this the other day:

https://freelandssports.com/

They're in the same location as Champion Shooter's Supply. I have no affiliation - just wanted to spread the word.
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

+1 on Freelands through https://freelandssports.com/. I purchased a scope stand 4Q20 with the service and quality outstanding.

It’s sad to hear about CSS.

Clint