? 4H Rapid Fire Air Pistol

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Ray Odle

? 4H Rapid Fire Air Pistol

Post by Ray Odle »

I have read the range procedure for running 4H's rapid fire air pistol event.
I am setting up my range to train but I do not have turning targets. I have programmed my lap top to control a five shot series using lights. The green light will flash 1 sec after the 20 sec as an "attention" command to indicate the start of the 7 sec edge phase. I may use a buzzer after the 3 sec.

I have never been on a range using lights. I have not found a video for such. Are there rules governing quantity and position? If not are there any suggestions?

I have shot many center fire events on a 50 foot local range using turning targets. My laptop's 3 sec green is a whole lot faster than those old turning targets. More than likely faster than 20 years ago my manual power on a 50 meter turning target range listening to the RO giving commands from a stop watch.
shawn706

Re: ? 4H Rapid Fire Air Pistol

Post by shawn706 »

What kind of air pistol do you use for rapid fire?
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

We will use the same ones we use for international air pistol. We have Steyr and Morini plus several Baikals.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I cobbled together a system for our RF Smallbore pistol for our Juniors.
I used a simple microcontroller instead of a computer so that we did not have to hook up too much.

I used 110VAC LED colored bulbs with some SCRs to turn them on & off.
I have them mounted on removeable 2x4 sections using simple H/W from Home Depot of Lowes.
I cannot remember as it has been a while since I used them (our pistol folks use them all the time), but I mounted the Green below the below the targets and the Red above (is that right anyone)?

Somewhere I have the schematic & code ... the code barely fits in the processor I used ... I remember thinking that the 4-H time sequence was a bit more complex so a microcontroller with a bit more memory might be required.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

Light placement had me stumped. Red on top, green below makes sense. The software gives flexabilty with multiple time sequences.
I am using 12v leds. I plan to set up four firing points. Time will tell if my relay switch will handle the loads.

Does anyone know if there is a minute pause between the five shot series? I included it because standard has it.

I may create a file to run a 40 shot event.

Thanks for the responses and help.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

As an international shooter I was very sceptical about this 4H air pistol dueling target event.
I have the system running. My kids like it. It is more reactive than slow fire. It is holding their attention over their cell phone. Less time resting.
I have changed my mind.
The lift and glide easily shows them their approach needs work. Also they see the importance of trigger control.
I am now thinking I need to make some turning targets for the firearm range.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Ray Odle wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:52 pm Light placement had me stumped. Red on top, green below makes sense.
ISSF targets are red on top, green on the bottom. I have no idea what 4H is doing, but anything different makes no sense.