Review of Walther LP500 Expert

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Re: Review of Walther LP500 Expert

Post by brent375hh »

Sometime call Walther / Umarex customer service for your entertainment. See what your impression is. I tried calling 3 times to find out about a Walther product currently on their own website, the FP500. Nobody knew?!? I got passed around and finally disconnected twice. The third time I went to a voicemail, and left a message with my callback number. Never get a call.

I decided that whatever they had, I surely didn't want to holding the bag when a service issue arose. My impression is they mostly sell disposable air guns. I bought a Walther LGV air rifle a few years ago that had a product life of less than a year. I don't expect to find parts when it breaks, and it was a $500 gun.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm Sometime call Walther / Umarex customer service for your entertainment. See what your impression is. I tried calling 3 times to find out about a Walther product currently on their own website, the FP500. Nobody knew?!? I got passed around and finally disconnected twice. The third time I went to a voicemail, and left a message with my callback number. Never get a call.

I decided that whatever they had, I surely didn't want to holding the bag when a service issue arose. My impression is they mostly sell disposable air guns. I bought a Walther LGV air rifle a few years ago that had a product life of less than a year. I don't expect to find parts when it breaks, and it was a $500 gun.
Continuing my endless quest to get my Benelli Kite serviced, I came across the service section of the Pyramid Air web site. They sell Hammerli and Walther. I plan to call them later today. I'll inquire about service for both.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Friggin

Post by Friggin »

The Walther service rep in the USA that I have experience with is Elite Shooting Sports of Montana.
Unfortunately the shop is in the process of moving. (Has been for quite a while)
If you reach out to Joe Hein I think he will get right back to you, he always did with me.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think Champion's Choice serviced Walthers. At least at one time, worked on one of mine.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

On another thread it was noted that Steyr has a "modular" regulator that is relatively easy to remove and replace. Does anyone know if any of the other brands sold in the US (Gehmann, Walther, Hammerli, FWB, Pardini, Morini) have a similar design? Thanks.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:29 pm I think Champion's Choice serviced Walthers. At least at one time, worked on one of mine.
Thanks. I'm weighing options to replace my Kite. I'm 71, but hope to live long enough to see another regulator go bust over time like the Kite did. The idea of having another regulator and/or repair service on hand for replacement is appealing.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

B Lafferty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:08 am
Rover wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:29 pm I think Champion's Choice serviced Walthers. At least at one time, worked on one of mine.
Thanks. I'm weighing options to replace my Kite. I'm 71, but hope to live long enough to see another regulator go bust over time like the Kite did. The idea of having another regulator and/or repair service on hand for replacement is appealing.
I bought a spare regulator for my Steyr, it takes about 5 minutes to change it out. I thought I might need a new one, and the price was right at $260. As it turns out, I just cleaned and lubed my old one first, and it works like a champ again. I am 57, but I do think I am now set for life.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If I recall correctly, Pilk will do a Steyr regulator swap for around $70.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:27 pm
B Lafferty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:08 am
I bought a spare regulator for my Steyr, it takes about 5 minutes to change it out. I thought I might need a new one, and the price was right at $260. As it turns out, I just cleaned and lubed my old one first, and it works like a champ again. I am 57, but I do think I am now set for life.
I think I was 57 once.........actually I've been 59 for the past 12 years.

Does anyone know if FWB has a unitized regulator unit. There's a place online that has the FWB "Piccolo" on sale. I had one of those a few years back, but sold it. There's that or possibly the Steyr LP-2 carried by Pilkgun.
Update. It looks like FWB also has a complete regulator unit for the P-11. It's part #3.4.342.11
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I just looked at the exploded view of the LP2. The regulator looks identical to the LP10, as does the firing valve. Nothing could be simpler to fix. Below is a video that shows how it comes apart. You don't really need to remove the barrel, but it makes it easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5v3lAbFiYY&t=357s
Hozzie

Post by Hozzie »

I just bought a new Anschutz air rifle from them last week (live nearby) and while talking to them they said they do not service Walther guns. They have to go to the Walther service center in Arkansas. They do service Anschutz onsite.

In fact, they don't appear to be too happy with Walther. It was my impression they may stop carrying Walther items altogether.

I also want to buy a new pistol to play with but am having a hard time deciding. I am just a hack who will shoot at home, but I like nice things. Leaning towards Steyr as Pilkguns is not far away and they do the servicing of the Steyr's.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

There is some hype about this gun so I can give my "review" from it. It is a gun made of cheap parts to save manufacturing costs, so it isn't very reliable. The trigger mechanism is very is poorly designed and feels absolutely terrible compared to any rivals (both mec/electronic). 3D/5D grip is a disaster - you cannot place the grip two times exactly the same direction no matter how careful you'd be. 10m sport is so sensitive that even slight angle change can destroy your results totally after charging it and installing the grip again. So better not charge it before competitions.

Rotating front sight isn't optimal because the surface points directly at you in straight angle. I even could see the triangular shape on top while aiming because my aiming area is so far from the black ring, so had to change Steyr front sight to it. In rear sight the elevation control is very poor. Too many mm:s with one click. You can try it by making 10 clicks up - you should be 10mm, max 15mm up from the center, try it yourself where is the shots. Changing Lp400 rear sight helps a lot, actually it is very good. The gun has very low velocity by it's design so it's very hard to find good enough pellet lot for it. I was't happy with the weight distribution and total weight either, but with additional weights it's ok.

Just to mention a few things, but hey! It has metallic trigger guard, must be good!
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

It's been noted that Steyr has a regulator that is relatively easy to replace as a complete unit. I noticed in an exploded diagram of the Hammerli AP-20 that the regulator also appears to be a separate, discrete unit. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact what part number 8 is with the AP-20? Diagram can be found here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bisley-Hammerl ... 4141209013
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

B Lafferty wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am It's been noted that Steyr has a regulator that is relatively easy to replace as a complete unit. I noticed in an exploded diagram of the Hammerli AP-20 that the regulator also appears to be a separate, discrete unit. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact what part number 8 is with the AP-20? Diagram can be found here:
It sure looks to be. I am quite curious what that ad is for. Did someone have a um are hammer pi that shit the bed and they are now selling it as replacement parts?
With Steyr and Morini being proven performers, you keep inquiring about everything but those two. Just because is has a replaceable unit does mean that you can actually purchase one 10 years from now. Break your piggy bank, buy an LP2, shoot it the rest of your life. Putting new o- rings in a Steyr regulator isn't rocket science.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 am
B Lafferty wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am It's been noted that Steyr has a regulator that is relatively easy to replace as a complete unit. I noticed in an exploded diagram of the Hammerli AP-20 that the regulator also appears to be a separate, discrete unit. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact what part number 8 is with the AP-20? Diagram can be found here:
It sure looks to be. I am quite curious what that ad is for. Did someone have a um are hammer pi that shit the bed and they are now selling it as replacement parts?
With Steyr and Morini being proven performers, you keep inquiring about everything but those two. Just because is has a replaceable unit does mean that you can actually purchase one 10 years from now. Break your piggy bank, buy an LP2, shoot it the rest of your life. Putting new o- rings in a Steyr regulator isn't rocket science.
LOL. I hear you. I'm just cost conscious (some would say cheap) by nature. The LP-2 is definitely on my list. So, if I'm going to pay $1675 for an LP-2, for a mere $275 more I can choose between a Steyr EVO 10 and a Morini 162 EI. I'm inclined to stay with a mechanical trigger. Thoughts? Anyone want to buy a Benelli KIte paper weight? :-)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

B Lafferty wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:45 am
brent375hh wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 am
LOL. I hear you. I'm just cost conscious (some would say cheap) by nature. The LP-2 is definitely on my list. So, if I'm going to pay $1675 for an LP-2, for a mere $275 more I can choose between a Steyr EVO 10 and a Morini 162 EI. I'm inclined to stay with a mechanical trigger. Thoughts? Anyone want to buy a Benelli KIte paper weight? :-)
I am cheap too! So cheap, I can't afford to buy junk twice instead of quality once. For the same reason that I am a DIYer, I bought a mechanical trigger. I have zero complaints. I just shot a 563 postal match. All my bad shots are not due to trigger design. Sorry, I can't tell you the difference between the LP2 and 10. I have no idea how much the barrel porting helps.

Be brave, before you buy a new one, or sell the paper weight, take it apart to see what it needs. It might just be an o-ring that you can source and service yourself. If you can't fix it, put in on eBay for spare parts.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Coolmeester wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:08 am There is some hype about this gun so I can give my "review" from it. It is a gun made of cheap parts to save manufacturing costs, so it isn't very reliable. The trigger mechanism is very is poorly designed and feels absolutely terrible compared to any rivals (both mec/electronic). 3D/5D grip is a disaster - you cannot place the grip two times exactly the same direction no matter how careful you'd be. 10m sport is so sensitive that even slight angle change can destroy your results totally after charging it and installing the grip again. So better not charge it before competitions.

Rotating front sight isn't optimal because the surface points directly at you in straight angle. I even could see the triangular shape on top while aiming because my aiming area is so far from the black ring, so had to change Steyr front sight to it. In rear sight the elevation control is very poor. Too many mm:s with one click. You can try it by making 10 clicks up - you should be 10mm, max 15mm up from the center, try it yourself where is the shots. Changing Lp400 rear sight helps a lot, actually it is very good. The gun has very low velocity by it's design so it's very hard to find good enough pellet lot for it. I was't happy with the weight distribution and total weight either, but with additional weights it's ok.

Just to mention a few things, but hey! It has metallic trigger guard, must be good!
Hi Coolmeester, can I ask why the grip cannot be placed exactly the same two times?? I'm comparing LP500 and FWB P8X at the moment. So any warnings are useful for my choose. Thanks~