New Rifle Cleaning

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TheBumble

New Rifle Cleaning

Post by TheBumble »

I have recently purchased a Walther KK500 and want to put together a cleaning kit specifically for this rifle. Looking for opinions on what people use/prefer in their kits. For instance on cleaning rods do you prefer brass or carbon fiber rods, with or without a guide? Also in the manual it says to use an acid free gun oil, but I haven't really seen much that lists or advertises acid free. Have not given rifle its first cleaning yet and would like to have all my ducks in a row before I do and possibly compromise accuracy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tim S

Re: New Rifle Cleaning

Post by Tim S »

For rods, steel (coated or polished) or carbon fibre. Brass is a little soft for my taste, both in terms of collecting grit, and maintaining straightness over years of use. Spring steel flexes and returns to shape, and CF is very rigid. I have used a coated Dewey for several years and am very happy with it. I also have a nice Bore tech.

Yes, use a rod guide. I can't think of a good reason not to use a rod guide if one is available. Do buy a guide specifically for a KK500. Leave the universal guides for centerfire rifles. The guide positions the rod centrally in the bore, supports it to lessen flexing (and contact with the bore), and keep oil away from the trigger.

As for oil, pick a branded gun oil, or even a good quality light machine oil. 0.22 target rifles are mechanically simple, so gun oil is mostly there for rust prevention. Wipe the metal parts regularly, and you should be fine. The cocking cam in the bolt handle likes a little grease, but the type doesn't matter. I use moly grease because it was available and cheap.

While you can clean the bore with gun oil, it's not ideal. A proper solvent will do a better job. Boretech Rimfire Blend is very effective, although pricey, at least here in the UK; it contains citrus oil, so it cuts grease well, and stinks less than traditional paraffin brews. I would avoid solvents with a heavy ammonia element. These are meant for dissolving copper residue from full-bore ammo. If you're in the UK, I'd also avoid Young's 303 oil. Yes, it has been used for years, but it's not a solvent. It's a thick oil that mixes with water for flushing out corrosive ammo, specifically clean-burning cordite.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

As I recall --- the bolt tool for the KK500 is also the bore guide.
Or another way to put it ... the bore guide is also the bolt tool ... that red plastic thingy
:-)
tenring

Post by tenring »

Ivy Rods!! “For smallbore”
You won’t regret it. Buy his smallbore jags too.

Get custom guide for that rifle.

Rimfire blend and use nylon brushes.
One wet or dry patch to get the crud out.

25-30 short strokes in the first 4 inches of the chamber with wet nylon brush.

One wet patch

One dry

One with a light oil before putting away.
Moore

Post by Moore »

Personally I like the Dewey coated rods, But keep it wiped off between patch runs.And I dont like reversing the brush inside the barrel. Rather short stroke a little JB in the lead if carbon or lead has built up..
Andre

Post by Andre »

As with everything I shoot with, I take a "simple is best" approach to cleaning.

1. Hoppes standard solvent, not the copper remover stuff

2. Nylon brush

3. Dewey coated rod (But I also like the Pro-Shot stainless rods a lot, just haven't picked one up yet)

4. ALWAYS use a bore guide. I prefer plastic ones.

5. Jag and tight fitting patches. I use 1" round patches and a brass jag.

That's it. Scrub bore with hoppes and a nylon brush, then run patches through the bore until theyre clean or almost perfectly clean. Don't forget to wipe the rod clean when changing patches (or else youre chasing your tail)

If I oil the bore for travel (condensation) I use a bore mop with a few drops of Rem oil on it.

Bolt gets greased inside and out, exception being oil on the firing pin. I also grease the firing pin/sear contact surface.