MG2 evo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jbshooter

MG2 evo

Post by jbshooter »

Any feedback from owners of new MG2 or MG2R evo guns?
Jon Eulette

Re: MG2 evo

Post by Jon Eulette »

I help the importer with QC on the pistols. I set trigger weight to 2# or 1kg depending on BE or ISSF ahooter. I perform safety and function check on the pistols.
I have a new EVO that I've shot CCI SV with 100% reliabilty so far. The QC of the pistols is very good on these new pistols. I was involved with the Legacy (last version) Model and worked with Match Guns on 3 generational changes to improve reliability of the pistols. The EVO has minor internal changes and biggest change is one screw take down instead of seven on the previous version. I have no favoritism of one model over the other. I'm super pleased with the pistols. My 208S' sit in the safe and my MG2' are easily taking their place. Outstanding triggers and excellent recovery back to the center of the bull.
Jon
Rover

Post by Rover »

I was browsing their site and noticed their claims for their air pistols.

Amazing! Over 551 fps (168 mps) for 200 shots. I bet if you cranked it up, you could use American made targets with clean holes.
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

The earlier MG2's had a rubber buffer in the space between slide and frame above the serial number. Has the buffer been moved to another place or removed altogether?
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Removed completely from MG2. MG4 has buffer.
Jon
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I have a 2011 MG2 that has given faultless service since new. Are there any changes in the trigger adjustment area (fiddly with small spanners) or the feeding mechanism (upper and lower levers that line up and hold the round before slide chambers it)?
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Easiest Euro gun trigger adjustment of any pistol I've ever worked on. Very user friendly.
Feeding mechanism was changed on last version (3 changes) and is similar on the EVO. EVO extractor tension is reduced.
Jon
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

So who imports these to the USA?
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Mr. Chua
Through Gunrunners in Duarte, Ca.

MatchGunsusa@hotmail.com

Jon
Jabbahut

Post by Jabbahut »

Mine was totaly crap.Return it to the importer and refound my money.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Jabbahut wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:45 am Mine was totaly crap.Return it to the importer and refound my money.
Really? You got an Evo model after having a MG2E on order for 5 or 6 months and so you had the new MG2 pistol for how long?
What was so wrong with it?
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Jabbahut

Post by Jabbahut »

I recived the pistol in January.The bullets flew crosswise in the air.The pistol was sent to MG in italy,came back and that problem was fixed.The pistol did not eject the empty cases by order,I could shoot 300 shots one day without any malfunctions and day after have 10 malfunctions on 50 shoots.I also have huge problems with the hammer followed the slide.it doesn't matter if the pistol was clean or dirty and what kind ammo that was used.The pistol was sended couple of times to the importer to fix the problem but they but they didn't have any solution to fix it,so they refound my money.Best pistol i ever shoot but it was a nightmare to own.I have heardthe same story from a guy with exact the same pistol and he also have huge problems,he had also returned the the pistol and they refound his money to
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Jabbahut wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 amI recived the pistol in January.
Just real funny that you ordered such a niche pistol, back in the summer of 2018, while from your questions posted to this site demonstrating you have little knowledge (in 2019) of many other far more common high-end euro pistols.

Sure you didn't mean you received the pistol in February? This post on the 23rd of January said you still had no idea of when you would get it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58546&p=286012#p286012

Then in April you were already looking for a new pistol.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60039&p=288510#p288510

Seems like an incredibly short timeline to have been able to send a pistol back to MG and a couple of times to the importer. Maybe you're really close to Italy.

Of course, your story may well be true, every product has lemons. The little I know about MGs is that the serial number and build time is very important and later model ones were vastly superior to earlier models. Was your pistol even an EVO model?

If I was in the USA and knew that Jon Eulette was doing QA I would have absolutely no qualms about buying the new MG pistol.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Jabbahut

Post by Jabbahut »

Yes the EVO rapid fire.Not just me had problems with the pistol
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Could be a troll....7 posts, joined 2019 !

Personally I don’t accept any of this. After owning 5 Matchguns since 2006 I can tell you that it sounds like “Bull***t !
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I tend to agree. The comments are pretty strong and not well supported by facts.
I have had a problem with an MG2RF but the factory was fully supportive in resolving it. I certainly didn't experience anything like what was described in the earlier posts. I've never had any problems from earlier MG2 or my MG4 or MG5E.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The impression I have is that the MG2 has suffered from a variety of fairly normal manufacturing/tolerance and quality control issues since its introduction. Lots of the pistols are fine, and those owners love them, but it's a really unique design. The more they build, the more they have been learning about potential issues if the manufacturing process isn't perfect. If the parts have burrs or are slightly off nominal dimensionally, they can have problems. MatchGuns has been working to adjust the design to be more tolerant of those effects, and presumably refining their manufacturing, quality control and inspection processes at the same time. Everything I've heard is that the factory support is excellent, and they really WANT these pistols to function flawlessly.

Believe it or not, Pardini & Benelli have had design & manufacturing issues as well over the years. They've been at it a lot longer than the MG2 has been around, and (for the most part), they've got the bugs worked out. I know the Benellis were introduced in the early 90's, and Pardini has been making the SP about that long, although it is a 1991 re-design of the SPE which came out in 1983. The earliest mention I can find of the MG2 is 2003, so it's 20 years younger than the first Pardini semi-auto.

I'm hoping to buy an MG2 Evo in the not too distant future, IF they can get them onto the Massachusetts approved target pistol list.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I'm hoping to buy an MG2 Evo in the not too distant future, IF they can get them onto the Massachusetts approved target pistol list.
When you fire the first shot you will not be able to control the smile that will spread across your face like sunrise....you will never go back !
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One thing I'm concerned about is the Evo grip angle. The steep angle helps to lower the bore, which helps with the recoil. However, the photos show the angle as being close to that of the Pardini SP. If I shoot with that much angle, it hurts my elbow. Nil Griffe and Rink grips tend to be about 10 degrees less steep (see http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=19764), and are much more comfortable for me to shoot.

My understanding is that the MG2 grip angle is adjustable, but I'm not sure how much. If it's like a Steyr air pistol, it's only a degree or two. Depending on where the pivot point is located, as the grip swings down, the bore axis will be higher, and there may be more perceived recoil. At some point, it will also affect the direction of pull on the trigger.

An extreme case can be seen here:
This is one of Andrew Berryhill's 1911 style grips on an Evo. It looks like the web of the hand has been shifted down at least 3 or 4 centimeters. That works fine if you are trying to mimic a 1911, which has a fairly high bore line, but I don't know how much it detracts from the Evo's naturally low recoil.