Thumb position question trigger hand

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Zabe7

Thumb position question trigger hand

Post by Zabe7 »

I have a junior in high school, 3rd yr shooter. For his school team he has a 274avg 30 shot standing and 285avg 3x10 3p for reference of current skill. All air. As a RH shooter he recently started putting his thumb up the right side of gun instead of wrapping around under. I attached photo for reference. Is this an acceptable preference I should let him run with? Or should I just nip in butt now and revert back to more conventional thumb position? I don't shoot, but I have never seen anyone do this at any cmp, college or sectional nra events. He claims it helps to relax trigger finger. I would think it adds to barrel sway with thumb wanting to move left and down naturally from that position. I don't really know. Thoughts? Thanks...
20190218_165822.jpg
20190218_165822.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
joel

Re: Thumb position question trigger hand

Post by joel »

Well, I am far from being expert on this topic, but he says that it helps. Sounds like a good thing for him.

Joel
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

It is just guessing, but i think it has tot do with a (wrong?) length of pull. When the LOP is to short the wrist is bend and it is harder to place the thumb round the grip in a relaxed way.
Let him hold his lower arm horizontal and let him close his eyes and let him relax his hand and wrist (keeping his eyes closed). Then look what the position of his thumb is - horizontal or vertical. That will show the position of his thumb in a relaxed and natural situation.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Each person has their preferences and if he likes that position of the thumb let him follow.

I have shoot more than thirty years with that position and it has gone well for me.

The thumb opposes the index like a clamp and the pressure on the trigger is very very good without producing unwanted lateral movements in the carbine.

Want this help.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I think a thumb up position is less common today, now aluminium stocks are so common. I know of a few shooters who hold thumb-up even with an alu stock, but most hold thumb-round; I suspect this is more to do with the shape of the grip, rather than any inherent superiority. Personally I only want to go thumb-up if the LOP is a little short, as my hand then sits a little higher in partial compensation.

If his trigger finger still presses straight, his grip is consistent (location, pressure) and his shoulder isn't stressed, a thumb-up hold is worth trying.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

sports are full of champions who break with conventional thinking all the time.
"whatever works" is the right answer !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Zabe7

Post by Zabe7 »

Thank you everyone!