Feinwerkbau 103 pellet preference?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Azmodan

Re: Feinwerkbau 103 pellet preference?

Post by Azmodan »

got myself a FWB100. and related to this topic.. how do you test a SSP?
because i cannot see how to clamp it in a vice, with all the force required to pump it...
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Rover

Post by Rover »

Azmodan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm got myself a FWB100. and related to this topic.. how do you test a SSP?
because i cannot see how to clamp it in a vice, with all the force required to pump it...
I couldn't figure it out either with my FWB100 (or my Walther LPM1). I just went with my ol' standby, RWS Basics, that had performed so well in other guns I had tested them in.

Some folks test them over sandbags, but that's a joke at the accuracy level the gun is capable of. The last time I tested the Basics, the 30 shot group OUTSIDE diameter was about one RCH larger than the "11" ring. I did a test with 7 grain Basics, Meisterkugeln, and R10s. Yes, the spendier pellet groups were smaller than the Basics, but you needed a magnifier to see the difference.

Good luck with YOUR tests!
jckstrthmghty

Post by jckstrthmghty »

Azmodan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm got myself a FWB100. and related to this topic.. how do you test a SSP?
Couldn't you remove the grip and bolt to a metal bar or jig? Too much force when pumping that it would strip the grip screws?
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

jckstrthmghty wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 pm
Couldn't you remove the grip and bolt to a metal bar or jig? Too much force when pumping that it would strip the grip screws?
i think it would take something like a ransom rest https://ransomrest.com/home/master-series-rest/
otherwise, if it's just friction that holds it in place, there is no guarantee that, with the force needed to pump it, it doesn;t move a few millimeters
boxes.jpg
i got these pellet boxes that i'd like to test :) the RWS basic and hobby are ok, but there are way too many bent / mis-formed pellets in the box (maybe because being 7gr, there is less material so they bend more easily). the nicest ones, beside the R10 and JSB Match, are the Krale (made by H&N, custom "HausMarke" for the Krale shop). But they are heavy (8,2gr) so i don;t know if they perform better than the lighter RWSs
10metershooterazores

Post by 10metershooterazores »

I have a red FWB 103 and i love it!
I use RWS Club to practice amd RWS R10 Match to championchips or better i will because i just shoot one month and enter in 3 championchips and stay always in third de place beeing the first two places FWB P 44 and the fourt and five too amd other brands in last places and i used H & N sport Finale Match Pistol 0,49gto stay three times in third place and last time i stay in third place this year in terceira island in azores in seniors pistol 10 meters ISSF but ived changed do RWS club 0,45gr to practice and R 10 Match i will use December 18 on Christmas
Championchip also 0,45g 7g!
10 meter Shooter
10metershooterazores

My Feirinkbau 103
Attachments
61E7C24D-3C6E-4DFE-9308-DDC2EABFD720.jpeg
10 meter Shooter
10metershooterazores

My Feinwerkbau 103!
Ps-Sorry the name before was the text corrector
10 meter Shooter
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

The H&N Excite Econ II pellets are at least as good as the RWS Basics and can be had from several sources for $5.99 per tin of 500. Several places will give one tin free for every four ordered.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Post by Rover »

B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:42 am And a search found:

http://www.targettalk.org/search.php?ke ... te+Econ+II+
It's not clear in some posts/tests whether the pellets tested were Excite Econ or Econ II. There is a difference.

And then there's the Excite Plinking.

And the Basic

Cost of 500 Basic approx $12.15
Cost of 500 Econ II approx $5.99
Cost of 500 H&N Match Light approx $13.99
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Where did you get that price for Basics?

Admittedly, we buy them by the case, but we are paying less than $6 a tin for Basics. As far as I know, Neal Stepp is the only dealer who has the 500 pellet tins in the US. Here's his price sheet:

http://www.iss-internationalshootersser ... ts2022.pdf

He's only asking $6.30 for a single 500 pellet tin of Basics.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:53 pm Where did you get that price for Basics?

Admittedly, we buy them by the case, but we are paying less than $6 a tin for Basics. As far as I know, Neal Stepp is the only dealer who has the 500 pellet tins in the US. Here's his price sheet:

http://www.iss-internationalshootersser ... ts2022.pdf

He's only asking $6.30 for a single 500 pellet tin of Basics.
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/rws- ... 00ct?p=234
$7.99 per 300
https://www.airgundepot.com/rws-diabolo ... l#231-5041
$6.99 per 300

The price comes down a bit with buy 4 and get 1 free deals. I suspect that the prices that people are getting tins of 500 at will be gone once stock is depleted. The Basics are a deal going by the wayside....unfortunately.

I'd like to see the Econ II pellets tested with a fully immobilized high end pcp air pistol shot for group size.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The last 300 pellet tins we bought have the added disadvantage that they don't add any padding to take up the extra space, and they seal them in plastic and cardboard. It's much easier for the pellets to get damaged in shipping if they are in a tin that is only 3/5ths full.

Neal buys them direct from Germany. I've purchased 5 cases for the college team I help coach over the last couple years, and they come in cardboard "sleeves" of ten tins, with no plastic to fight. The 300 pellet tins are the ones imported by Umarex USA.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:37 pm The last 300 pellet tins we bought have the added disadvantage that they don't add any padding to take up the extra space, and they seal them in plastic and cardboard. It's much easier for the pellets to get damaged in shipping if they are in a tin that is only 3/5ths full.

Neal buys them direct from Germany. I've purchased 5 cases for the college team I help coach over the last couple years, and they come in cardboard "sleeves" of ten tins, with no plastic to fight. The 300 pellet tins are the ones imported by Umarex USA.
The RWS web site lists only one packaging option for the Basics,,,500 pellet tins. It would appear that Umarex is ripping off the US market. The question is to what extent RWS is aware that their product is being sold 300 to a tin in tins made for 500 with the resulting damage. I would not put it past Umarex to pull a sleazy repackaging maneuver like that. If they're your preferred training pellet, time to horde Basics in 500 tins least Umarex complain to RWS getting them to no longer ship 500's to the US. It looks like Umarex is taking a page out of big pharma's marketing playbook. Cynical moi.......
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have no real info on why Umarex USA decided to foist 300 pellet tins off on the US market. I suspect they viewed it as a way to raise their profits without having an obvious direct increase in pricing. I'm sure RWS is fully aware that UMAREX USA is pulling this ploy.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

FWIMBW, it appears that H&N is no longer making any of the Excite line of pellets. Their least expensive pellet is now the Sport at 8.18 grains. They retail here for about $9 per 500. The Vogel bulk pack of 6K pellets for $65 is probably a better deal or RWS Basics bought in 500 pellet tins as long as they are supplied that way to at least one dealer in the US.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

i read in a post a while back (I can’t remember which forum) that the pellet should be sized so that the head just skates along the lands, hardly being engraved at all, minimising friction. The skirt is what provides the air seal and the spin.

Our host, Scott Pilkington, wrote a series of articles for USA Shooting News in 2008/9 on pellet testing. The second of the articles which can be found on the internet (Nov/Dec), described rifle and pistol pellet testing. His comment on pistol pellet testing was quite dismissive of the need:

For air pistol, the simple answer is that pellet testing is a waste of time. Modern air pistols and pellets are so good, and the 10 ring is so big, that pellet testing even for the world’s best shooters is really unnecessary. The ISSF dimensions for the 10 ring is a whopping 11.5 mm in diameter. Add the potential of the pellet diameter on either side of that 11.5, and you have a group capable of shooting nothing but 10s that is 20.5 mm in diameter. Okay, I hear you ask, if the bullseye is a lot bigger, isn’t the accuracy a lot worse for that shorter barrel necessitating a bigger bullseye? Actually, no. In most cases an air pistol is capable of the same 8 mm average group size as a rifle. The discriminating factor requiring that bigger target is the shooter’s arm and hold, not the pellet group size. The group size can be almost 3 times larger and still hold the 10 ring. In my opinion, the only air pistol competitors that need to have their pistols pellet tested, are those members on the U.S. Team traveling to world cups, and then it is mostly for the comfort of mind that you have the best, not that it will make a significant impact on scores.

I’ll see if I can find a link to the post I referred to above.

Bob
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i tested a bunch of pellets in my P8X. there are differences, but all are well within the inner ten ring:
https://youtu.be/RhoGraByA9o
10metershooterazores

I have a Feinwerkbau 103 and ive been shooting ISSF 10 meter pistol for 4 months!
I stay 5 times in third place amd once in fifth!
Day 28 of January 2023 ived make the exam to the Portuguese shooting federation(FPT- Federação portuguesa de tiro) and my record is 463 in my second match and in last match day 8 February 2023 i made 444 points.
The FWB 103 was a gift from my brother!
Have nice shoots
Stay well
Attachments
4460B83A-5E8F-4542-B768-D47BA417D9A2.jpeg
10 meter Shooter
madmax

Post by madmax »

Worried about damaged or out of spec pellets?
Rest easy, and watch this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22q5mjHsGTQ

Max.