Questions from a beginner

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

brhsfrench

Questions from a beginner

Post by brhsfrench »

Just a few quick questions...

I see a lot of shooters use a raised elbow position in Air Rifle to great effect, Chinese shooters such as Du Li in particular. Wouldn't that cause a lot of tension in the trigger hand, or do I misunderstand what they're doing?

Second, I've been reading the book Ways of the Rifle (can't recommend it enough for new shooters like myself!) and I saw a few terms I was unfamiliar with. The book mentions a "French school" and "Austrian grip" in relation to standing, but never explains what that entails.

Are there any pros and cons of elbow-forward or elbow-behind the knee in kneeling shooting? I've heard conflicting opinions from different shooters.

I'm seeing fluctuations of up to 20 points (3x10 Air Rifle) between different days shooting. Is that normal?

Thanks for all of your advice!
Piefou

Re: Questions from a beginner

Post by Piefou »

"Wouldn't that cause a lot of tension in the trigger hand, or do I misunderstand what they're doing?"

You're right, the goal is to have the fewer tensions possible ... and for some people, they achieve it with a high elbow.
Just a matter of preference, personnal experience and physiology.

"The book mentions a "French school" and "Austrian grip" in relation to standing, but never explains what that entails."
Each national federation has a certain way to teach their juniors ... but all the basics are the same.
Don't bother with these terms, feel YOUR way ;)

"Are there any pros and cons of elbow-forward or elbow-behind the knee in kneeling shooting? I've heard conflicting opinions from different shooters."
I'm personnaly shooting with elbow-behind ... but again ... up to you and your body and your balance !

"I'm seeing fluctuations of up to 20 points (3x10 Air Rifle) between different days shooting. Is that normal?"
If you just begin then yes ! More you will shoot, less variance you'll have in your scores.
Don't check the total score, but look at each position. It will help you focus on which position to train.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

If you're just beginning, it's all about balance, relaxing in the right places, comfort, and consistency.
Unless you are shooting a K-Mart rifle and pellets, the gun is the least of your problems.

Work on your personal ergonomics and economy of movement.
Adjust everything on the rifle such that you get a good natural point of aim (NPA) where your body is most comfortable without squishing, squeezing, or floating any of your body parts to get a good sight picture.
Rather than your body, line your rifle up to the target as best as possible by eye-balling the joint lines in the ceiling tiles or floor tiles so that you aren't shooting on an angle.
Try to hold your rifle as vertical as possible and not to cant your rifle.

Try not to break your cheek-to-stock weld if shooting electronic targets.
When prone, keep your firing side elbow in contact with the mat and place your pellets where your firing hand falls when loading
When standing, place your shooting stand so that you don't have to take the rifle down from your shoulder when loading.
When prone, place your pellets such that you don't to break your cheek-to-stock weld when loading.
If shooting with a scope, try placing it on your non-firing side so that that all that is needed is a head turn over your shoulder rather than stretching and breaking position to look through the scope over the rifle.

If you need air, get off the line as soon as you finish shooting so that your heart rate has as long as possible settle back down after the walk to the compressed air station.

Little things like that add up to points later on.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
methosb

Post by methosb »

All those shooters compete in 3x20/40 in which case the high elbow position gives them better recoil control, and of course they use the same position in air. Tension can be OK IF there is an advantage to it and it is kept consistent. Having a stronger grip or a higher elbow position are common uses of controlled tension used to gain better control over the rifle. But control and consistency takes A LOT of work and experience.

I think as a beginner it is better to work on the big fundamentals of your position and shot process first and just keep a comfortable elbow position for the moment. When you have your fundamentals down and are consistent then you can think about more advanced aspects like adding some positive tension in order to gain more control over the rifle.

You will notice in Ways Of The Rifle that for every "rule" or guideline they give for how your elbow should be or your cheek they will show a picture of someone that completely goes against the grain and breaks all those rules but have been extremely successful just to show that ultimately what works for you is the best way. Eg. Sergei Martynov's high bendy prone position, Petr Kurka's horizontal elbow with hand barely touching the grip standing position, Petra Zublasing without a cheek piece.