REAR SIGHT TEST

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RED RAIDER

REAR SIGHT TEST

Post by RED RAIDER »

I think one of my rear sights may have a dead spot. When I turn the windage knob It doesn't do anything for a few clicks and then when I turn it a few more clicks it moves the shot too far. Is their a simple way that I can test out the sight before spending 4-5 hundy on a new one?
marky-d

Re: REAR SIGHT TEST

Post by marky-d »

Dial indicator?
https://www.amazon.com/Triton-Indicator ... +indicator

Based on my back-of-the-napkin estimation, 1 MOA on a 30" sight radius is almost 0.009", so it would probably work, depending on the resolution of your clicks. It's probably not good enough to measure exactly, but should show motion or not.

You might need to get creative to mount it (probably remove the sight from the rifle and mount in a vice).

marky-d
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

I never thought of using one of those. I have a few laying around the shop.

Thanks
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Screw a sight riser block onto a steel flat plate. Mount the sight onto the sight riser and attach the DTI to the steel plate using the it's magnetic base.
Now you have a sight testing rig. Very easy to detect any backlash in your rear sight using the DTI.
Cheers Martin
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

I just clamp the sight in a vice with soft jaws and use a dialed indicator with a magnetic stand attached to the vice.

I can take a photo of the setup if you really need it.