Oh, the horror! Poor "wet" shooters....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

Oh, the horror! Poor "wet" shooters....

Post by Rover »

Beer Contains Female Hormones

Would you believe this about our favorite summer beverage ?
Shocking !
This is alarming & scary stuff !
Beer contains female hormones ! Yes, that's right, FEMALE hormones !

Last month, Montreal University scientists released the results of a recent
analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in beer.
Men should take a concerned look at their beer consumption.

The theory is that Beer contains female hormones:
(hops contain Phytoestrogens)
and that by drinking enough beer, men turn into women.
To test the theory, 100 men each drank 8 large drafts of beer within a one (1) hour period.
It was then observed that 100% of the test subjects, yes, 100% of all these men:-

1) Argued over nothing.
2) Refused to apologize when obviously wrong.
3) Gained weight.
4) Talked excessively without making sense.
5) Became overly emotional
6) Couldn't drive.
7) Failed to think rationally, and
8) Had to sit down while urinating.

No further testing was considered necessary !
alina

Re: Oh, the horror! Poor "wet" shooters....

Post by alina »

This joke makes me uncomfortable. We should welcome women into shooting sports, and stuff like this doesn't help.

Gender stereotypes have become normal and supposedly funny topics of conversation. We're supposed to laugh about how women nag their significant others or can't drive as if it's all in good fun, when really it's not because it perpetuates beliefs used as evidence for women's inferiority.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

alina wrote:... women nag their significant others or can't drive....
It's not fun nor laughable, it's really quite annoying.
Last edited by slofyr on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dronning

Post by dronning »

alina wrote:This joke makes me uncomfortable. We should welcome women into shooting sports, and stuff like this doesn't help.

Gender stereotypes have become normal and supposedly funny topics of conversation. We're supposed to laugh about how women nag their significant others or can't drive as if it's all in good fun, when really it's not because it perpetuates beliefs used as evidence for women's inferiority.
The first time I ever heard this joke it was told to me by a women, actually a group of women.
Humor, no matter what the subject, may make some of us uncomfortable mostly because there is always some truth in it. I think of our problems today is we are taking ourselves too seriously. Case in point, Blazing Saddles, when it came out everyone loved it, it was campy and made fun of EVERY stereotype. If that movie came out today the PC crowd would all be up in arms, or faint!
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

PC is Fascism
william

Post by william »

slofyr wrote:PC is Fascism
Oh, please, take a few deep breaths and start over.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Oh, please, Bill, spare us your bleeding heart.

jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

We should all remember that Freedom of Speech only applies to the speech that sensitive people want to hear. Kind of like Lenny Bruce being arrested in the 60's. We have gone full circle.

I'm surprised that no one has yet begun criticizing the idea that shooters would drink, period. That usually happens more quickly in these discussions.
alina

Post by alina »

dronning wrote: The first time I ever heard this joke it was told to me by a women, actually a group of women.
Humor, no matter what the subject, may make some of us uncomfortable mostly because there is always some truth in it. I think of our problems today is we are taking ourselves too seriously. Case in point, Blazing Saddles, when it came out everyone loved it, it was campy and made fun of EVERY stereotype. If that movie came out today the PC crowd would all be up in arms, or faint!
- Dave
While some people may be ok with the joke, not everyone will be. Since this is a public forum I'd err on the considerate side. If I were a woman browsing TargetTalk for the first time and sees this, I may conclude that people in shooting sports are male-dominated and aren't welcoming to women.

Of course, you're right that most people are probably just fine with this kind of joke and only the few would find it offensive. But jokes can be just as funny without stereotyping, so why do it? What if we started making jokes based on racial stereotypes? Sure there's some truth to every stereotype, but that doesn't make it acceptable.
jmdavis wrote:We should all remember that Freedom of Speech only applies to the speech that sensitive people want to hear. Kind of like Lenny Bruce being arrested in the 60's. We have gone full circle.

I'm surprised that no one has yet begun criticizing the idea that shooters would drink, period. That usually happens more quickly in these discussions.
This has nothing to do with freedom of speech (or politics for that matter). Please see this comic: https://xkcd.com/1357/
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

How about the women that would be offended by someone assuming they are somehow more sensitive, weaker, or have no sense of humor, and must have someone come to their defense if someone posts a joke?

Life would be pretty boring if everyone always decided to "err on the considerate side" and not do or say anything that might offend "someone".
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It seems to me that we have, happily, reached this point without totally offending anyone.

To make sure it stays that way I'm going to lock this topic.