ISSF response about dropping some events in the Olympics.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

coaching

ISSF response about dropping some events in the Olympics.

Post by coaching »

I received an email from Franz Schreiber today about my recent email wondering why some of the shooting events were being dropped from the Games. The main reason is to include more mixed team events in the same events so it will actually balance out in the end and it seems to be popular so far, especially with younger shooters. So, I guess it is okay but still a little shocking. Don in Oregon
Ramon OP

Re: ISSF response about dropping some events in the Olympics

Post by Ramon OP »

Doing mixed events and bringing more equality should not mean dropping events. I would love to see women competing for gold in 50m free pistol :)
Ramon
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

sportpistol.com wrote:Doing mixed events and bringing more equality should not mean dropping events. I would love to see women competing for gold in 50m free pistol :)
Can I suggest you go through all of the old threads regarding dropping 50m Pistol and Prone.

Expecting to get additional medal events from the IOC, who drive the Olympics, is pure dreaming.
coaching

Post by coaching »

All I know is what was sent to me. You know how beaurocrats are. Don
j-team

Post by j-team »

I'm going to start a campaign for men's rhythmic gymnastics to be included in the next Olympics.

Will suggest it is done in weight divisions because I'm looking forward to seeing the 105+kg division floor routine!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Can I suggest that you search the board for "Agenda 2020" and read the MANY threads that come up.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

j-team wrote:I'm going to start a campaign for men's rhythmic gymnastics to be included in the next Olympics.

Will suggest it is done in weight divisions because I'm looking forward to seeing the 105+kg division floor routine!
In attire similar to beach volleyball ?
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

https://www.olympic.org/news/tokyo-2020 ... ban-appeal

Commenting on the decision, IOC President Thomas Bach said: “The fascinating new events that we approved today, together with the five new sports that were added to the Tokyo 2020 programme last year, represent a step-change in the Olympic programme. I am delighted that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will be more youthful, more urban and will include more women.”

"More youthful" = Get rid of old men shooting prone.

"More urban" = Get rid of traditional sports and replace them with things that young people play in the cities like 3 on 3 basketball.

"Include more women" = Eliminate "Male Only" Olympic events i.e. 50m prone and pistol. Replace with mixed gender team event.

Done.
j-team

Post by j-team »

ShootWithStyle wrote:"More urban" = Get rid of traditional sports and replace them with things that young people play in the cities like 3 on 3 basketball.
This one interests me. I wonder if "real" basketball is looking over it's shoulder at this and wondering if their days are numbered? 3x3 basketball games last just 10 minutes, it should just about match the attention span on the target audience!
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Frankly, I can make a good case that basketball should not be an Olympic sport. It's a "gimme" medal for the U.S. professional athletes.

A good Olympic event has broad participation. Which is what vexes me...shooting is one of the very few sports with truly worldwide distribution of top-level competitors. But we're not a Spandex Sport.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

j-team wrote:I'm going to start a campaign for men's rhythmic gymnastics to be included in the next Olympics.
If you lose the snark and actually look into it, you'll undoubtedly find that Olympic gymnastics will face the same pressure to be balanced by gender. And it won't result in a new men's discipline.
And, going the easy route and looking at wikipedia, currently they stand at 6 medal events for women, 8 medal events for men. So how long till one men's event gets dumped and a women's event gets added?
They have the advantage of not having to invent some new mixed event to keep a hold of the number events they have as their number of events is even.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
j-team

Post by j-team »

SlartyBartFast wrote:...If you lose the snark and actually look into it...
Relax, I have every intention of keeping the snark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ73Q4DwrGM