Tell me about your 32acp experience.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

zanemoseley

Tell me about your 32acp experience.

Post by zanemoseley »

I've been intrigued by the 32acp's for a couple years. I wish there were more options for new pistols using the 32acp but it appears you're stuck with Pardini unless you want to rebarrel a S&W long and figure out the magazines.

The reason I've been thinking of a 32 acp is to make matches a bit more fun. Days where the 45acp is having its way with me it feels a bit torturous to shoot it twice. I know people say to master the 45 but for me its all about having fun while improving. I don't plan on reducing my 45 practice one bit.

So of those of you that have taken the plunge to 32acp what are your opinions. If given the opportunity to go back would you do it again.

Reloading 32acp sounds to be a bit tricky especially with the oversized Pardini bore. After reading the Hornady 60 grain XTP seems to be the easiest to load but you pay more than lead
Sawginmasi

Re: Tell me about your 32acp experience.

Post by Sawginmasi »

I have read it very well, feel very useful.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

zanemoseley wrote:I've been intrigued by the 32acp's for a couple years. I wish there were more options for new pistols using the 32acp but it appears you're stuck with Pardini unless you want to rebarrel a S&W long and figure out the magazines.

The reason I've been thinking of a 32 acp is to make matches a bit more fun. Days where the 45acp is having its way with me it feels a bit torturous to shoot it twice. I know people say to master the 45 but for me its all about having fun while improving. I don't plan on reducing my 45 practice one bit.

So of those of you that have taken the plunge to 32acp what are your opinions. If given the opportunity to go back would you do it again.

Reloading 32acp sounds to be a bit tricky especially with the oversized Pardini bore. After reading the Hornady 60 grain XTP seems to be the easiest to load but you pay more than lead

the pardini 32acp uses 32 s&w L magazines.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Personally, I would go with the 32 S&W Long WadCutter.

Cheers,

Dave
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Dave,
Your remark re 32 SWL versus the ACP surprises me, especially given all the work you and others have done on load development/testing and the great accuracy realized by the 32 ACP with a variety of powders at 50 yards.

With a GSP at 25 yards, I found the 32 SWL to be finicky and to only work well within a narrow range of powder weights. However, I did not have your replacement barred to shoot my GSP at 50 yards; I tried circumventing the twist rate issue by using heavier bullets but results sucked. Revolvers are an entirely different matter.

The only issue with the Pardini 32 ACP I am aware is with magazines, which was solved by Oldcaster using lighter mag springs.

Would you elaborate on your comment? Thanks, dipnet
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Dave,
Your remark re 32 SWL versus the ACP surprises me, especially given all the work you and others have done on load development/testing and the great accuracy realized by the 32 ACP with a variety of powders at 50 yards.

With a GSP at 25 yards, I found the 32 SWL to be finicky and to only work well within a narrow range of powder weights. However, I did not have your replacement barred to shoot my GSP at 50 yards; I tried circumventing the twist rate issue by using heavier bullets but results were poor. Revolvers are an entirely different matter.

The only issue with the Pardini 32 ACP I am aware is with magazines, which was solved by Oldcaster using lighter mag springs.

Would you elaborate on your comment? Thanks, dipnet
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I have several pistols in 32 long, which I love. Recently I acquired the 32ACP conversion for my Pardini, I already had the 32 long. I really like the round, not sure yet if I like it better than 32 long, but they are not mutually exclusive. I do have one of Dave Wilson’s barrel on the GSP, the ACP is at least as accurate at 50 yards in my RR.

Using the 2 stage M style powder thru expander on my Dillon 550, I find reloading is easy. So far, I reload just the T&B lead SWCs, they are accurate and inexpensive. I bought the conversion used, the magazine had already had the 22 springs installed, and they work perfectly.

The T&B bullets are available in many sizes, which make them ‘easier” than the 32 long bullets, which I need to “bump’. I also have a Hammerli SP20 in 32 ACP, but with a tighter barrel than the Pardini. Travis at T&B just made me some bullets a bit smaller, .312. Great customer service. I am currently using VV n310, which meters and works well.

I am currently working on converting a Matchgun MG4 and perhaps Benelli MP90 to ACP. I don’t view the ACP as better than the Wadcutter, but definitely fun to have both.
gwpotte

Post by gwpotte »

I have a Pardini 32 ACP and use T&B 62 SWC bullets in it. I find it to be quite accurate at 50 yards and very mild recoil. Once I made the magazine modifications (use 22 springs and pinch lips) and put in a 22 recoil spring, the reliability is near 100%, but you do have to clean the gun about every 400 rounds to keep it that way.

From purely a recoil perspective, if you calculate the recoil in gr feet per second (bullet weight times muzzle velocity) and use the approximate velocity needed for 50 yard accuracy
bullet bullet muzzle recoil % increase
gun type weight(gr) velocity (gr feet / sec) over 22
22 Std Velocity 40 1050 42,000
32 ACP T&B 62 800 49,600 18%
32 ACP Hornady XTP 62 1000 60,000 43%
32 S&W Lead WC 98 700? 68,600 63%
45 ACP SWC 175 800? 140,000 333%

you can see 32 ACP using T&B bullets has by far the least recoil in CF and less than 20% more than a 22.

Comparing the use of T&B bullets to Hornady XTP, I see the following advantages / disadvantages

T&B Bullets
Advantages
Bullets are significantly cheaper to reload (7 cents versus 17 cents for just the bullet portion)
Less recoil
Accuracy at 50 yards is not as good, but good enough (will hold well within 10 ring using sand bag rest)
Using lead bullets you won't wear barrel out

Disadvantages
Need to modify gun and magazine for reliability
Need oversized sizing die and custom expander plug / die (although UniqueTek now sells one for Dillon presses)

Hornady XTP 62 grain
Advantages
Best accuracy at 50 yards (will hold 10 ring using sandbag rest) with factory or reloaded ammo
Works reliably without modifying gun and magazines
Can use standard Hornady loading dies including their expander

Disadvantages
Higher cost for reloading
More recoil
Being a jacketed bullet their is more wear on barrel (custom Bullseye gunsmith friend of mine claims you may notice a loss in accuracy at 50 yards after 20,000 rounds of jacketed bullets in a pistol)

Bottom line, I like my Pardini 32 ACP, use it for Bullseye, and highly recommend it. If you don't like to make modifications for reliability, don't mind spending more for ammo, and want the very best accuracy, then use the Hornady XTP bullets. But if you want to minimize recoil, reduce cost, don't mind making some relatively easy modifications, and are okay with good enough accuracy, then go with the T&B bullets.
gwpotte

Post by gwpotte »

I should add a correction. The Hornady XTP bullets will hold the "X" ring at 50 yards which is better than the 10 ring I mistakenly put in my previous post.
James Hensler

Post by James Hensler »

At Camp Perry I shot a 867 with my Pardini 32ACP. I am an expert and it was neat seeing my name 6th out of 776 shooters! So I kinda like mine!
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

James Hensler wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 am At Camp Perry I shot a 867 with my Pardini 32ACP. I am an expert and it was neat seeing my name 6th out of 776 shooters! So I kinda like mine!
well, where did you place in the 45 match or the NTI/P100?
6string

Post by 6string »

RMinUT wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:32 pm
James Hensler wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 am At Camp Perry I shot a 867 with my Pardini 32ACP. I am an expert and it was neat seeing my name 6th out of 776 shooters! So I kinda like mine!
well, where did you place in the 45 match or the NTI/P100?
What's the point of this question?

The title of the thread is "Tell me about your 32 ACP experience".
Sounds to me like James had a pretty good 32 ACP experience!
James Hensler

Post by James Hensler »

Well I shot a 2533 in the pressure of the Nationals and finished 3rd
James Hensler

Post by James Hensler »

846 22
867 CF
820 45. Double alibi ate 20 points
2533 3rd

77 out of 776
Did not stay the extra day to shoot P 100
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Looks like the 32ACP bullet heads for reloading is getting hard to find. What are your sources for 32 ACP bullet heads that are still in stock, reliable and acceptable accuracy?