Legality of firearm purchase for club-owned target rifle

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Cesspool

Legality of firearm purchase for club-owned target rifle

Post by Cesspool »

I recently took over operation of a long-standing junior rifle club where all the rifles are owned by the Club. I don't have access to the prior coaches, so I'm not sure how they acquired the firearms, although several of them are CMP / DCM rifles so I'm sure at least some came by that route. We are looking to purchase some new firearms for the juniors as the older full-sized models are just too heavy for some of the smaller shooters. The question has come up regarding how to purchase these rifles. I know with CMP a club officer has to sign indicating an individual is authorized to purchase on behalf of the Club, but my LGS hasn't heard of this. Could someone with better Google skills than I have, or experience with this, provide guidance and where to find answers? I do realize someone has to stand for the paperwork and NICS, which isn't a problem, just not sure how to deal with actual ownership / transfers so it doesn't appear to be some sort of straw man, or appear that the guns are owned by an individual.

Thanks!
Pat McCoy

Re: Legality of firearm purchase for club-owned target rifle

Post by Pat McCoy »

An officer of the business (corp, association, LLC, etc) may sign the form as long as a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, is attached to the 4473. See the instructions for line 11A on the back of the form 4473.
Cesspool

Post by Cesspool »

Thanks, Pat, not sure how we missed that. That clears up everything.
aggshooter

Post by aggshooter »

Pat McCoy wrote:An officer of the business (corp, association, LLC, etc) may sign the form as long as a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, is attached to the 4473. See the instructions for line 11A on the back of the form 4473.
Yup, that's how our 4H club does it. Each year I get an updated letter from their office authorizing me to pick up a firearm on their behalf, with the understanding that the club is the owner. Letter gets attached to 4473 as described above.