Olympic quality firearms/air guns manufactured in the USA?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Shooterer

Olympic quality firearms/air guns manufactured in the USA?

Post by Shooterer »

I was asked that question at leagues this week and all I could do was give them a blank stare and look down at my German rifle.

I did a quick search on the forum and didn't come up with anything, so I am now asking the combined brain trust of the site.

Who am I not thinking about?
ShootWithStyle

Re: Olympic quality firearms/air guns manufactured in the US

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Shooterer wrote:I was asked that question at leagues this week and all I could do was give them a blank stare and look down at my German rifle.

I did a quick search on the forum and didn't come up with anything, so I am now asking the combined brain trust of the site.

Who am I not thinking about?
Turbo Rifle by DiOrio Mfg in Virginia.

http://www.turboaction.net/our-products ... 3p-builds/

It's being used with great success by some members of the US National Team. Lucas Kozeneiesky won the 3x40 National Championship last year using his Turbo.
Dan Ide

Post by Dan Ide »

The Green free pistol had a very short life years ago. Back in the late 1980s, there was a push to make American equipment to use in the Olympics, Crossman made the Crossman / Skannaker air pistol, Federal made .22 ammo equal to or better than Eley 10X. The late Don Nygord won a world cup with it, the air pistol that is. However, it did not last as the top level shooting group is to small a market. Yes, there is some rifles and shotguns made that could be used at the Olympics, but no pistols at present, or ammo either.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

In years gone by,
Winchester 52, 70 and Remington 40X, made rifles that many used in the Olympics.
6string

Post by 6string »

Here's a link to the patent info for the Green FP:

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis. ... 738043.pdf

Here's a link to the similar High Standard FP, in an article from Shooting Times:

http://www.histandard.info/EFP/ST1960Y04-5M200R.pdf

When's the last time you saw any support or interest in this sort of thing anywhere in the "Pop Culture Gun Press"?
No, just "spray n pray" polymer stuff, etc...
There's a difference between rifle and pistol in the US.
We're a nation of handgun owners and we can't get our **** together
See my post elsewhere in the Lounge regarding "can I save my club? "

Best Regards,
Jim
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Shooterer wrote:I was asked that question ("Olympic quality firearms/air guns manufactured in the USA?") at leagues this week ...
Trooperjake wrote:In years gone by,
Winchester 52, 70 and Remington 40X, made rifles that many used in the Olympics.
In years gone by, yes. At present, regarding pistols? Probably not, regrettably. Same for .22 RF ammo made in the US at present, -that is regrettable too.

"In years gone by", a CO2-powered pistol for 10-metre competitions was made by Crossman, - Ragnar Skanaaker was consultant. Faily well made, but I recon it was never used in the Olympics:
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/03 ... have-seen/

At that time, Crossman made a CO2-powered match style rifle, with a digital pressure gauge(!) Rumors claimed it was used once in a major international competition, - but not in the Olympics. I fired a couple of shot with that rifle back then. I could have been sort of a prototype, though.

There may be custom maufacturers making Olympic class firearm in the US, in addition to the "Turbo-small-bore rifle", but I don`t know for sure.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

I used to shoot smallbore in the late 90's. The Winchester 52 was very accurate with the right ammo. When the CMP sold the H&R M12 I bought one, that was a stellar gun. Federal Gold Medal UMB, the old stuff with the dimple in the back, shot one hole groups in that rifle. If that rifle was put in a good stock it would be competitive. I also had a 40X bedded in a McMillan Anschutz stock with a custom stainless barrel that was a great shooter. I never got to shoot the 40X much before having to sell my smallbore rifles.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

As long as precision pistol shooting in the USA is focused on accurizing and creating $3k 45 ACP 1911's what chance does a startup or existing company have trying to make a market for Olympic style firearms?

Not many examples of truly innovative pistols for Bullseye. Perhaps the Wilson Match .45ACP Pistol and it's revival/copy the Revol Arms DL45.

Unfortunately, the DL45 seems to have been put together by someone who loved the Wilson pistol but failed to look into the state of Bullseye/Pistol competition and what modern competitors want in a match pistol. Heck, even all the videos showing it being fired show it being used with a two-handed grip. Not single handed.

But it seems (in my limited market knowledge) that even in international run and gun and action style shooting the USA still lacks domestically designed hardware. Although many of the foreign companies manufacture for the American market in the USA.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Folks:
The original post is about USA RIFLES manufactured in the USA
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Trooperjake wrote:Folks:
Mea culpa.
Rifle or pistol the North American focus is simply not Olympic style shooting, and what focus there is on other precision competition shooting seems limited. IMO it's limited to a size where the only way to make a firearm successful commercially means selling to the rest of the world.
Might be more guns in North America, but probably not enough precision shooters to make a self sufficient market.

If anyone wants to answer my previous post, quote it and take it to a new thread.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

Trooperjake wrote:Folks:
Huh?? Where did you get that from?

Look at the topic of this post and reread the first

Post by northpaw »

SlartyBartFast wrote: Rifle or pistol the North American focus is simply not Olympic style shooting, and what focus there is on other precision competition shooting seems limited.
The sportshooting movement is heading in that same "degenerating..." direction in other countries, too, also in Europe.
Let me briefly refer to one of Rovers "serivces" regarding that topic:
Rover wrote:I have to chuckle. At the Desert Midwinter we had a couple of "taktikools" wander in to see what the fuss was about. We started the 2700 at the 50 yard line. They were completely boggled at the scores.
The "taktikools" are "takin`ova`" (hip-hop term). That is in my opinion tragic. More bangs, less accuracy.
TomAmlie wrote:An additional problem is that the "tactitools" can also drive away the precision shooters as well as the parents of aspiring junior shooters. If I'm shooting free pistol at my local range, I pretty much pack it up and leave when the spray-and-pray crowd shows up. I've seen parents of juniors look a little taken aback when the "tactitool" comes in with his pistol slung low in a holster on his hip, or when guys start dumping 20 round magazines downrange.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Yup. The problem I've had at my club is that the "Tactikewl Tommies" want more and more resources. Hell, they put a berm across the 50 yard pistol range to make a seventh pit for their use. Which took a dump all over my 50 meter revolver scores (and if you think FP is tough, try it with a percussion revolver and center-of-impact scoring).

The Really Big Irony being that the more advanced defensive shooting schools (Suarez being a good example) are rediscovering the power of the precision disciplines. Precision disciplines are to shooting what ballet is to dance...it lays a rock-solid foundation of fundamentals. All else builds on that.