New Walther KK500???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

patriot

Re: New Walther KK500???

Post by patriot »

Prone 1600 matches. Still shoot offhand silhouette but kneeling is a bit painful after a knee replacement.

Mark
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

ShootWithStyle wrote:So far the only 54.30 I have seen in competition was at ISAS Dortmund in Germany recently. But it was in the hands of one of the junior shooters, so not much can be ascertained about its performance.
One of my GB teammates was using HER new 54.30 at Dortmund - she finished 9th (in prone) but she's only had it a couple of weeks...

K.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

For this, please refer back a page to the main photo kindly supplied by Shootwithstyle (i.e. to The Girl with the Pearl Earring), and apologies for two questions a bit off topic. Is she using a Centra Duplex on her rearsight, and if so are Duplexes common at international level? And is her very considerable eye relief peculiar to her or is it something required just for kneeling or, if neither, should I be revising the amount of eye relief I use for prone (currently about 20mm I would estimate)?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Cumbrian wrote:For this, please refer back a page to the main photo kindly supplied by Shootwithstyle (i.e. to The Girl with the Pearl Earring), and apologies for two questions a bit off topic. Is she using a Centra Duplex on her rearsight, and if so are Duplexes common at international level? And is her very considerable eye relief peculiar to her or is it something required just for kneeling or, if neither, should I be revising the amount of eye relief I use for prone (currently about 20mm I would estimate)?
Roger,

No, the girl in the photo does not have a duplex on her rearsight. It appears to be a Centra Spy with a short anti-glare tube. Ken would be able to tell you what he saw at Dortmund, but some International shooters use a duplex (Torben Grimmel, Lionel Cox, and Ivana Maksimovic spring to mind) and some don't. I think more finallists don't use one than do.

The eye-relief doesn't look unusual to me. It's not super short, but not excessively long. Whether a longer eye-relief would be better for you is something that can only be determined by testing.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim,

Thank you. My mistake about the Duplex, but interesting that some top shooters do find it useful. What would you estimate her eye relief to amount to? Difficult I know from the angle of the camera. I would put it at 1 1/2 to 2 inches, but that could be badly wrong. Certainly quite a bit more than I employ, which makes me wonder about my distance when you suggest that her eye relief is somewhere in the middle of the range. Would having a 22mm foresight, like mine, make a difference?

Roger
yana

Post by yana »

I dont see any more Universals on the Walther website. Are these discontinued?
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Cumbrian wrote:For this, please refer back a page to the main photo kindly supplied by Shootwithstyle (i.e. to The Girl with the Pearl Earring), and apologies for two questions a bit off topic. Is she using a Centra Duplex on her rearsight, and if so are Duplexes common at international level? And is her very considerable eye relief peculiar to her or is it something required just for kneeling or, if neither, should I be revising the amount of eye relief I use for prone (currently about 20mm I would estimate)?
Come to think of it Cumbrian.....I seem to recall a Girl with a Dragon Tattoo as well at Dortmund. No joke! :-)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Roger,

Yep, I'd say about 2in, maybe a little more. However that's really not excessive. If you want to try a longer eye relief, go ahead, but don't expect an epiphany. A 22mm foresight might make a difference, but it might not. In the same way that one shooter does best with a 3.6mm foresght aperture, and the next a 4.1mm, so preference for more or less space around the foresight tunnel varies too.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim, thank you for your wise words. I reckon that you need to be something of a philosopher to survive the ups and downs of small bore shooting and to learn to respect its mysterious ways.

Roger
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

5430 from the Anschutz custom shop by S. lightened for Jr. shooter. Shilen barrel. No tuner. 50m
5 shots top, 10 shots bottom;
Lot204.JPG
Lot204.JPG (54.4 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Repeated outdoors, ~7mm, 5 shot group. It was windy 5-15mph
Can't control the world, just my aim, well most of the time.....