Pardini SP Extractor Falling Out Issue

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mass Shooter

Pardini SP Extractor Falling Out Issue

Post by Mass Shooter »

Hi,
for some reason on my Pardini SP the extractor has fallen out of the bolt assembly TWICE! ... This SP pistol barely has a 3/4 case of standard velocity ammo through it.
When I observe the bolt assembly I can see that the small dowel pin is still in place but has shifted upward, subsequently allowing enough room for the extractor to fall out of the slot and out from the pistol. ... I lost (2) extractors already! ... Darn extractors to replace is $23 each!
It's a simple process to replace and reinstall a new extractor, however am perplexed why this is occurring.
The pin measures .0786" dia. x .304" length. Pin dia. was measured on a laser micrometer for accuracy at my workplace.
A .0795" gage pin slides easily into the extractor hole and it swivels freely. ... So now I'm attempted to install my new extractor with the .0795" diameter pin.

I'll check the diameter of dowel hole in my bolt assembly later this evening, ... just my thoughts while at work are getting the best of me.

I'm hoping Pardini will see this and let me know what the factory dowel hole size specification should be in the bolt assembly.

Any other ideas I should look into correct this problem? ...
Rover

Re: Pardini SP Extractor Falling Out Issue

Post by Rover »

I dab of Loc-Tite on the pin would probably solve the problem. I've sometimes used nail polish in similar situations.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

+1 regarding loctite or nail polish.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Upon close inspection of the bolt dowel hole I can clearly see that the previous owner must have attempted to remove the extractor by punching the dowel pin out from the machine grooved end and while doing so staked inward two heavy burrs into the hole. Looks like the punch used was too big in diameter for the task. ... This being said I can understand that when inserting a new dowel pin from the opposite machined flatted surface, (the correct way) the pin really never had a chance to be pressed all the way into & thru the dowel hole to secure the pin.
With repetitive extractions after firing a couple boxes of rounds the pin worked its way upward thus releasing the extractor and having it fall out.
I'll re-drill the hole to clear away the burrs and check for a proper press-fit size between the dowel and hole diameter. I'm thinking only .0002"/ .0003" should be enough interference fit to secure the pin.
I like the idea of Loctite for security measure. ... Thanks!
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

dont do like I would do... I would hammer the pin untils until it gets flatten and grips in place :D

It's better to use loctite!!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Funny, that was going to be my first suggestion, but I figured the Loc-Tite would do as well.
David M

Post by David M »

Loc-Tite is available in different grades, if you don't want it to come out then
Green Stud-Loc is the go.
Use a very small amount on the loose end only.
To remove later heat the pin with a soldering iron till the Stud-Lock just smokes
and tap out.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Mass Shooter wrote:I'll re-drill the hole to clear away the burrs and check for a proper press-fit size between the dowel and hole diameter.
If you haven't drilled it yet, try to bump those burs back into their original place using a punch and a small hammer. Even if it looks a bit messed up it could be sufficient to secure the pin the proper way.
Otherwise, drill a larger hole and make a larger pin for it. Don't forget that the hole in the extractor may have to be enlarged also.
If you use loctite make sure that it doesn't stuck the extractor. Remember that it should move freely but must have some tension.

After that check if the extractor holds an unfired case while you gently shake the bolt. The unfired case should stay in place.

Hope this helps