1911 Slide Mount Red Dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

matchguy

1911 Slide Mount Red Dot

Post by matchguy »

My other post about the recoil spring for a slide mount red dot made me revisit what I want to do. I have inexpensive red dots that may fly apart being mounted to the slide of a 45. I have several as does a couple friends and haven't had any problems but they are all mounted on a frame or grip mount.

I really like the single side mount I saw in the pictures but that system costs well over $400 for just the mount & install and requires the frame to be refinished.

I noticed the small reflex red dots from Burris & others that mount in the 1911 dovetail on the slide. My older gold cup doesn't have a dovetail and I don't think I can make a mount that would fit the recess from the Colt Elison sight that only has a roll pin hole and 6-82 screw.

What if I installed the slide mount w/weaver rail and mounted one of these on it? It's made to handle the recoil of being mounted to a slide. Anyone using these lightweight red dots?
ImageImage
Isabel1130

Re: 1911 Slide Mount Red Dot

Post by Isabel1130 »

Yes, I have seen people using them successfully. The only problem with them is that they are hard to adjust quickly, at least the older models are, and since bullseye is a precision sport, many shooters are uncomfortable with a a red dot that cannot be quickly adjusted on the line during slow fire.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

And one other issue, in the bright sunlight, on an uncovered outdoor firing point, the dot may be tough to see.

The ultradots have tubes and polarizing filters which make them the economical choice for most outdoor bullseye shooters.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

those are ok but really not good for bullsye cause like said they are not made to be quickly or repeatedly adjusted for 25 to 50 yards, they don't have click adjustments and use a allen wrench, so its just not a good setup, you would be better off with a ultradot or orher click adjustable dot
sobakavitch

Re:

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

sobakavitch wrote:Above comments are true.

If you shoot in matches with a covered firing line, there is no problem. Open matches could cause some problems, as they do with other red dots. Wearing sunglasses helps a great deal in such instances.

Another thing that helps is high quality fresh batteries in your scope. If you think most are too expensive, you are correct.

I have had really good luck with these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AT21R2/ref ... 32+battery
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

sobakavitch wrote:Above comments are true.

However, the Burris FastFire III and the latest UltraDot are both click-adjustable allowing the same quick adjustment as other popular red dot scopes with click-adjustable azimuth and elevation capabilities.

Didn't know Ultradot had a reflex sight. That looks great. I have an idea for a Gold Cup mount that would work with this. Glad I posted my question.
6string

Post by 6string »

Yes,
The Docter is nice. Have hear the Burris is click adjustable.
What I really like about these sights is that they help retain the weight and balance that was initially designed into these pistols, and keep the sight line more on par with iron sights! Aimpoints and the like throw off the ergonomics, such as they are. The 1911 does not need to be made any more of an unnatural "pointer", at least not for me.
And for outdoor use, I find wind to be much more of an annoyance when the pistol has a large tube sitting on top of a bulky mount.

Jim
sobakavitch

Re: . . . .

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FredB

Post by FredB »

sobakavitch wrote:The Docter, Optima, and Burris sights all have the same mounting pattern.
So you're saying that all three sights can use the same gun-specific mounts directly and the mounting holes are spaced and threaded the same? I didn't know that, and it's very useful information.

Thanks,
FredB
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Just wanted to mention that several years ago, I tried an Aimpoint micro mounted on the slide under the theory that is was a light little scope, and would be no different than iron sights, or a frame mount.

I was dead wrong. I had to drop my mainspring weight by six pounds to even get the gun to function with the light loads I was using at the short line.

I sincerely believe that there is an advantage to a heavier gun especially in the recoil management aspect of bullseye.

The reason the non tube red dot sights are not popular in bullseye, is because we don't need the open field of view that you get with something like the Doctor, or the fast fire, and for most of us who shoot bullseye, the open field red dots offer no advantages over a tube sights. They have a number of negatives, especially for outdoor shooting, that usually makes a traditional iron sight a better choice.

You don't see many of the open field red dots on the line, for these reasons.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

"I was dead wrong. I had to drop my mainspring weight by six pounds to even get the gun to function with the light loads I was using at the short line."

Isabel1130,

I think you meant to say that the RECOIL SPRING weight had to be dropped by six pounds for proper gun function. The

MAINSPRING weight was not the issue, correct? Picky, picky, picky? Yes, guilty as charged. Me, an accuracy nut? Sure, just

like the rest of you Bullseye Shooters out there!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

You are correct Sir. :-).