Vostok MU 2-3 Info Needed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
red9

Vostok MU 2-3 Info Needed

Post by red9 »

I am considering purchase of a MU/MC 2-3 pistol as a collector, not shooter. I know that they were made in the early 1960s. Does anyone have documentation as to when the manufacture was discontinued? I am hoping it was prior to 1965 in order to transfer it on a C&R license. My TOZ-35 has some numbers in a circle on the left rear barrel. Are those a date code?

Thanks,
Bob
Lenny

Re: Vostok MU 2-3 Info Needed

Post by Lenny »

It is more commonly known as Margolin Pistol (Пистолет Марголина). The model designation is in Cyrillic "МЦ" (Margolin Target). Can't help you with manufacture dates. Interestingly Margolin was totally blind when he designed this pistol.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I believe that the Margolin was being manufactured into the late 70s maybe even the early 80s.

Someone who could probably give you a definitive answer is Joe Leiper on the GunBoards Forum:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... et-Pistols

Unfortunately, the original post predates a Forum upgrade when all the pictures were lost. However, Joe has been very helpful to me in the past on Margolin matters.

Bob
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

IZH / Baikal manufacture their target guns in batches (which is whenever they can be bothered to get around to it; the principles of supply and demand don't apply though the massive increase in Russian defence spending in the last five years means they probably have other things on their mind). A batch of Margolins was manufactured in the mid-2000s and they were being sold here new through gun shops for NZ $400 retail (= about US $300). My club bought four of them in around 2007 and have since fitted barrel weights to them. They are great pistols though the Soviet-era Margolin triggers were better than the recent ones (though that just could be because our USSR-made club Margolins have fired about a gazillion rounds each). I wouldn't be surprised if they produce another batch one day (though I'd much rather see the MP-438 go into full production) though this may have to wait until the political situation in Russia calms down a bit before anything is exported.
SAMARKSMAN PTN

Post by SAMARKSMAN PTN »

My first entry onto any blog so am still finding out how to use the site.
Manufactured in the mid to late 1950's the MU 2-3 is a very specific pistol used for the 50 meter Free Pistol competition and was used by a Russian competitor who won Silver medal in the 1960 Olympics.
The only confirmed MU 2-3 pistol pic and published description I have found is in the 1969 GUN DIGEST page 347.
Another pic shows a couple of MU rifles and the MU 2-3 Free Pistol.
It has a stainless steel rifle-type bolt action loading system.
Other similar references I have found mention an earlier model SARMCO MTs 2-1 match pistol but have not found any photos or diagrams.
In my opinion the MU 2-3 is not a Margolin design although it may be possible.
Vostok and Bailal are a couple of general Russian references mentioned on internet sites.
Until recently I have been using one for a number of years and it is extremely accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.
My reason for searching the internet for this model is because of a recent malfunction that appears to be caused by the Firing pin or the trigger action.
I would love to have a parts diagram for the MU 2-3.
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

SAMARKSMAN PTN

Post by SAMARKSMAN PTN »

Hi Cricman
Many thanks for your pics and diagram EXACTLY what I need to study.
It looks as if the pins, springs and levers of my MU 2-3 will take more than my knowledge can allow me to diamantle. I imagine that will need someone with engineering skills.
If I am going to do the work I will need a step by step guide for stripping, so if someone has stripped and repaired theirs I would love to be in touch.
Spare parts would also be highly appreciated.
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

Bumping an old thread.. just bought a Mu 2-3 and my quest for info about this piece brought me here.
Do someone still have the pictures posted earlier, or some other interesting facts about this pistol?
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
william

Post by william »

Igor's blog seems to have gone dormant. While active he posted a lot of valuable information on all manner of Russian target pistols. Don't be lazy. Do your homework. I'm guessing you'll find good stuff about your Em-Tse.

http://toz35.blogspot.com/
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

william wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:47 pm Igor's blog seems to have gone dormant. While active he posted a lot of valuable information on all manner of Russian target pistols. Don't be lazy. Do your homework. I'm guessing you'll find good stuff about your Em-Tse.

http://toz35.blogspot.com/
I dont usually have a problem researching for information but on this one Im really drawing a blank.
Thanks for the blog link, I will go through the archives.
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

Go to the following: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spmc2-3.htm
Scott Pilkington has set up and maintained the "10P Philes", which contains some / all of the information available on the pistol in question. There it is listed as the MC 2-3. We don't have a symbol in our alphabet for the "Ts" combination. If someone were more industrious, they would try the search in Russian (МЦ 2-3 ПИСТОЛЕТ). There were a small number of these guns made in the first place. There are not made when they feel like it, but when there is a need for it (for national team competitors), and as required in a command economy. The old Soviet pistol were quite expensive to make (in terms of equipment and man-hours of labour). Only those planned in advance are made, and not one more. For collectors, remember that the IZH-1, MTs-55-1, and TOZ-35M are other free pistols made in the USSR / Russia.
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

stephen_maly wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:53 am Go to the following: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spmc2-3.htm
Scott Pilkington has set up and maintained the "10P Philes", which contains some / all of the information available on the pistol in question. There it is listed as the MC 2-3. We don't have a symbol in our alphabet for the "Ts" combination. If someone were more industrious, they would try the search in Russian (МЦ 2-3 ПИСТОЛЕТ). There were a small number of these guns made in the first place. There are not made when they feel like it, but when there is a need for it (for national team competitors), and as required in a command economy. The old Soviet pistol were quite expensive to make (in terms of equipment and man-hours of labour). Only those planned in advance are made, and not one more. For collectors, remember that the IZH-1, MTs-55-1, and TOZ-35M are other free pistols made in the USSR / Russia.
Thank you, that is very helpful information!
I have no history on the actual pistol I have found, but a left hand original grip must be quite unusual
As you can see, it has been altered with some kind of glue like substance. I will see what to make of it once its in my possession.
I plan to use it.
Attachments
40591ACB-B6D5-4771-B889-B6BDDC29937B.jpeg
SAMARKSMAN PTN

Post by SAMARKSMAN PTN »

Hi VonKasta,
This is a Corrected entry. Previous entry was all supposed to be МЦ 2-3. (I also copied and pasted the МЦ 2-3 from Vadym).
The left-handed grips would be extremely rare because the "MU 2-3" was not manufactured for long.
The orthopedic grip's strange added fillers are probably a type of epoxy or "putty" which has been shaped to the previous owner's hand to give maximum support which is allowed for the Free Pistol event.
The MU 2-3 was manufactured for for only the Free Pistol event (50 Meter Olympic event) but what a pleasure it is to use. comes in a lovely fitted box with it's set of tools and other bits.
I have shot ISSF events since 1979 (previously called ISU events) and the Free Pistol event is a fantastic event if you want the ultimate challenge.
A couple of years ago my MU 2-3's seer seemed to be deteriorating (after sixty years something must eventually happen) but recently I persisted and after many hours of soaking in paraffin, vibrating bath, and "high"-pressure silicone lubrication into every nook and cranny, it is working perfectly once again. must have been a buildup of gremlins... manufactured about 1956. The persistent cleaning and pressurized fine silicon lubricant did the trick!!!!!!
I have only seen (and currently own) one MU 2-3 pistol. Reading through many year's of SA Marksman Magazines I have seen only two references to this model. The one that I own (Gavin Carson sold it to Bert Seago in 1975, and I inherited it from Bert Seago, 1998), and the other reference was in the 1979 February SA Marksman Magazine page 5. Quote: "SOUTH AFRICA vs UNITED STATES ARMY MARKSMAN TRAINING UNIT. On the week-end of the 22nd November, 1968, the shooters who had qualified for the final trial met at Kroonstad." Goes on to say "As a matter of interest, all but one of the 11 (South African competitors) used free pistols, 4 Russian M.U.2/3's, 2 Hämmerli's with mirror sights, and one home made free pistol. The other three pistols were the standard Hämmerli's. The shooters using mirror sights found difficulty with light reflection"...... Sorry but article does not mention the USA team's names!!!!! I would love to know more about that event. Probably a few days of great camaraderie.
Last edited by SAMARKSMAN PTN on Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

That is very interesting!
I still do not have the pistol at hand as Im still awaiting the permit to find its way to my mail box, but I am told the pistol itself is in working order and comes with the original fitted box, unfortunally tools and spares gone missing over the years.
Once it is in my possession I will try the grip for fitment and if the modifications does not suit me I will try to restore the grip and start over using clay instead.
Im looking forward to try my luck with 50m free pistol, as we will try to form a three man free pistol team for competition.
My ”colleagues” are shooting a Toz35 (bought in Russia before the Soviet Union fell) and a Hämmerli 106 and have both done over 540p in competition so I have quite a mountain to climb!
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

Someone sells pistol spare parts
23 Trigger assembly for МЦ 2-3
24 cocking lever for МЦ 2-2 (not for 2-3)
25 trigger blade for МЦ 2-3
26 crank for МЦ 2-3
Attachments
17565320.jpg
17565320.jpg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

Vadym wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 am Someone sells pistol spare parts
23 Trigger assembly for МЦ 2-3
24 cocking lever for МЦ 2-2 (not for 2-3)
25 trigger blade for МЦ 2-3
26 crank for МЦ 2-3
Very interesting! Is there a way to get in touch with this gentleman?
Vadym

Post by Vadym »

I’m not sure whether it is possible to provide links to third-party resources here, I hope this will not be perceived as advertising - after all, this is the only mention of this pistol all over the Internet

https://popgun.ru/viewtopic.php?t=810553
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

Vadym wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 pm I’m not sure whether it is possible to provide links to third-party resources here, I hope this will not be perceived as advertising - after all, this is the only mention of this pistol all over the Internet

https://popgun.ru/viewtopic.php?t=810553
Thank you for the link my good sir
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

Im sorry if Im hijacking this thread but IT IS HERE!! :o
One can only be humbled by the craftmanship put into one of thease pieces of art.
I will need to alter the grip as it is originally made for a gentleman with considerably larger paws than me, but before you rip my head off I can assure you I will only be using clay that will be fully removable and leave the original grip undamaged as I apply it.
As far as the modifications previous owners has done to it, I will see what can be done.
Sadly, most tools and spares are missing but at least the original case are intact and in good shape.
Attachments
A7229889-05A7-4CCF-8BA8-00B990E6FD90.jpeg
4AD19FB1-E77E-4330-98D5-8ABACB26EA2A.jpeg
0A4671C7-4FC9-4869-AAC0-B95BDB880D5C.jpeg
294C2EAE-EE16-4024-8C3B-38C267A2F96E.jpeg
SAMARKSMAN PTN

Post by SAMARKSMAN PTN »

Hi VonKasta, I have also been amazed by the fine workmanship of my MU 2-3. The wonderful dry-fire action must have been a very special detail in 1955/6 when these firearms were manufactured. Mine has saved me thousands of Rands (South African Currency) over these years, and then the joy of shooting it live-fire feels so perfect.
When this lovely piece of machinery was given to me, the generous size of the anatomical grip had already been modified in places for a previous owner's large hand but the thumb cavity was still not large enough for mine so I had to modify it more. During the process of giving me this MU 2-3, my friend Bert Seago explained how to set the lever-action of the trigger-guard for the "dry-fire" and the "live-load" but when I went to the range and tried to load my first bullet into the breech the bolt appeared to "catch" on the seer's release plate (that's what I call it). I was immediately extremely careful about inspecting the loading action and I must warn all of those lucky enough to use a MU 2-3, that Forcing the bolt forward off the seer release-plate will, sooner or later, cause catastrophic damage to whatever is the weakest part, so the solution for NOT causing damage to the action is... position the bullet in the loading plate, pushing the bullet forward with your finger as far as it goes, then gently push the release-plate down until you feel the plate "clip" into position. After the plate has clipped down, we can slide the bolt and bullet forwards and lock it into position, ready for final setting of the trigger release which is a downwards push of the lever on the front of the trigger guard.
Attachments
Copy of MU 2-3 boxed with tools.JPG
MTs Name Number.JPG