difference between 10 click and 20 click Anschutz sights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

difference between 10 click and 20 click Anschutz sights

Post by Ltdave »

other than the money of course...

are the 20 click more precise? i.e. 1/2 minute vs 1/4 minute (using a high power analogy)

more adjustment? i.e. better for long distance (200yd shooting)

an ego thing? IVE got 20 click sights, the "lesser" competitor only has 10 click sights

Anschutz really isnt too good at putting out definitive information and most of the supplier sites dont spend any energy on expounding on the differences in gear either...
mtncwru

Re: difference between 10 click and 20 click Anschutz sights

Post by mtncwru »

10-click vs. 20-click refers to how many clicks per rotation of the adjustment knob. 20-click sights are twice as fine as 10-click; it works out to around 1/12th MOA vs. 1/6th MOA on a standard length barrel.

In terms of money, I suspect you're referring to the difference between a 7002 rear sight and a 6805 rear sight. In that case, in addition to the clicks, the 7002 is adjustable for cant, so you can set it up so the vertical adjustment is vertical, even if you tilt the gun while you're in position. That's the primary source of the massive price hike, rather than the fine-ness of the clicking. I've heard rumors of a 10-click variant of the 7002, but you can actually change a 20-click into a 10-click by removing/locking down one extra ball-bearing. I have no idea whether one has more adjustment than the other, but if you're taking your .22LR out to 200 yards I don't know that many sights on the market have enough adjustment anyway. You would probably have a better time making the move by lowering your front sight, since changing your rear sight that much is going to play havoc with your head position, anyway.

One major downside of the 7002 is that it's pretty chunky, which can limit your view of wind flags.

One major upside of the 7002 is that it is a super fine click, especially when you have a full length barrel plus a bloop tube; handy when you're shooting international prone where 10ths count.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I have both types of sights; I have the ten click 7020 sight for my air rifle, and the 20 click sight for my smallbore. Aside from the 1/4 vs half minute click, from a target standpoint the 10 click per rotation equates to about 30 clicks per ring on a USA 50 smallbore type target, assuming a standard length sight plane. Since I use it on my air rifle on the 10m target, it is about 5 clicks per ring, which is plenty for me. My 20 click per sight equates to 6 clicks per ring, although it is closer to ten now with my newly added bloop tube. However, the question you are asking is whether or not their are any benifits with a finer site. As for the benefits I think that is a manner of opinion. Personally, I enjoyed the finer sensitivity when u got my new Anschutz 4 years ago, esp since I could now click my sights halfway between rings. However, on windy days I missed my older sight. I think there is a limit where finer sensitivity helps. Having said that, I love the 7020 sight, and I don't think it is a mistake that many competitors are using it. I would recommend the 20 click rotation, and I do enjoy the canting feature, as you can set your sights on a level plane if you cant your rifle.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Just to add that IMHO - the 6805 sights are 6 clicks per MOA, the 10 click 7020 is more like 8 clicks per MOA and the 20 click 7020 is double that (depending on your sightbase).
(10 clicks on the 6805 moves the sight 0.4mm, 20 clicks on the 7020 moves the sight 0.32mm according to my dial gauge).

The upside is that a 20 click sight allows you to set your zero more precisely - good for ISSF decimal scoring.
The downside is that if you want to make sight changes for wind, you will be shifting by (say) 5 click increments - I do anyway - which makes keeping track of your zero more of a challenge.

Both the 6805 and the 7020 measure very well in terms of "no backlash" and consistency of travel.

That's my experience anyway...

K.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Lt Dave,

if you are looking to shoot at 200 yards, it's probably easier to put a thin (4mm raiser block) under the rearsight. Anschutz rearsights should have enough elevation for 100 yards, but may not for 200yd.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

thanks everyone...

i DOUBT my daughter will do much 200yd shooting with her anschutz (she does PLENTY with her AR-15 along with 300 and 600 yards)...

just curious what the big factor was in the price difference. sounds like the canting feature is probably it. i know for my juniors, ive got them set up with 1/2 moa sights on their ARs because its just a bit simpler to not have to count so many clicks when theyre dealing with switching wind (in High Power)...

sounds like the 10 click sights are probably more than suitable at this point and they can always be upgraded...
Andre

Post by Andre »

I had 10c sights on my rifle for a bit, then swapped them to the 20c version. It seemed I was either on one side or the other of the bull. 20c put the shots right in the middle.
The 20c also has the ability to cant and seems much more robust.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ltdave wrote:sounds like the 10 click sights are probably more than suitable at this point and they can always be upgraded...
That would be sensible. It can be useful anyway to have a spare rearsight, in case or breakages/damage, or to save time changing over between positions in a 3-P final, or to have a dedicated 100yd prone sight. Also if upgrading rifles in the future, should you buy Anschutz, the rearsight isn't included.

As an aside, the upgrade doesn't have to be Anschutz. Centra and Gehmann both make a variety of 20 click sights, all compatible with Anschutz dovetails.
Erud

Post by Erud »

From my experience coming from a HP background and dabbling in SB, I found the 20 click sights to be way too fine for my liking. I painted a mark on the sight for my 50 yd zero, and found that I could be a full revolution off in either direction and not really be able to tell if it was on "zero" or not. I ended up having Gary LaValley make me a 1/8 MOA Phoenix sight for my smallbore rifle that is just about perfect for me. It is still 3 MOA per revolution like any other HP sight, but has the extra clicks in between for when I really feel like I need the finer adjustments.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

I appreciate this is a VERY old post. The information is still valid today and I had hoped I could get some wisdom.

I have an Anschutz sight on a 2002SSP. Works great. I have a second 2002SSP I use with a scope. From a period I used to train. Anyway, I wanted to set up the scoped with a second Anschutz a similar micrometer sight for 10m indoor air rifle this winter, so others might get hooked.

In looking at eBay, phew. 10 or 20 click, is that the only difference between SB and Air? Or are all of them pretty interchangeable? Net net, looking for an affordable, hobby level sight system for my spare 2002SSP.

Thanks.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Smallbore shooters use 20-click too.

As far as I'm aware Anschutz use the same width/angle dovetail on air and smallbore. Most smallbores, bar the 20xx and 54.30, have a round topped dovetail if that matters.

There's more variation in foresight fitting, but if your 2002 has the same dovetail at the muzzle and receiver, any new foresight Anschutz-type tunnel should fit; you have to specify the older 14-18xx 3/8in dovetail.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Any Anschutz rear sight no matter the age should fit your 2002 SSP: they haven't changed that standard in decades and the rounded/curved top has never mattered that I know of. For the front, the easiest way to check is to just see if the rear sight will clamp onto the front dovetail: if it does, you need an 11mm front sight (I'm about 90% sure the 2002 SSP uses the 11mm front, but worth verifying before you buy). The other way to check is to hold your current rear sight up to your current front: the older 3/8" front dovetail is noticeably smaller when you hold an 11mm next to it.

10-click vs. 20-click is just a matter of preference; were it me I'd probably try to setup both rifles with the same rear sight for personal sanity reasons, but either one will work fine.
jhmIII

Post by jhmIII »

Some comments here - I may be FOS, but wth - here goes:
Back in the day of integer scoring for air rifle I think 10 click sights were just fine ... a 10.2 was as good as a 10.9.
Now ... not even close ... with decimal scoring I think a 20 click sight is the way to go... way easier to creep up on the higher tens and not zing past to the other side of that 10.9
High Left

Post by High Left »

Number of clicks doesn't mean much if the backlash in the screw/knobs exceeds 'X' number of clicks. General consensus being the (mostly) German made sights are metric threads... and not particularly repeatable in comparison to a 'Warner' with ground threads and lapped nuts ...

But considering the MOA of scoring ring to ring ... maybe a problem.... "lost in the noise"
High Left

Post by High Left »

Something rattling around stirring up dust in the back of my brain suggests a 20 could be converted to a 10 by removing one of the detents. Generally spring loaded balls. Pull the knob, and cuss for hours trying to find one of the 2 balls that fell on the floor.