Pistol mods

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David W. Johnson

Pistol mods

Post by David W. Johnson »

Used the instamorph and black coloring to modify the grip. It fits very well, but I don't have the support at the heel of my hand that I wanted. I have to do it over tomorrow anyhow. The black sand I ordered to mix into the instamorph is waiting at the post office.

That went faster than expected, so I grabbed one of the polymer rods I ordered so I could imitate Groot's trigger stick shoe. The dremel made it go quickly. It also helps that I'm not as demanding as Groot. I'm sure my craftsmanship is not up to his standards.

I'll play with this one to see what I think of the feel. I need to add the mid-length recess for trigger weight testing.

David
Rover

Re: Pistol mods

Post by Rover »

Mmm, sticky fingers. I ain't touching this one
David W. Johnson

Not sticky. Even when it is soft, it isn't sticky. Once it cools, it is like any other plastic.

David
therider

Post by therider »

And no more sweating than sprint.
And you just need an hair dryer in yor bag to make instant changes
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

David W. Johnson wrote:Used the instamorph and black coloring to modify the grip. It fits very well, but I don't have the support at the heel of my hand that I wanted. I have to do it over tomorrow anyhow. The black sand I ordered to mix into the instamorph is waiting at the post office.
David
Hi David
how did the black sand in the instamorph go?
Peter
David W. Johnson

It did well. It gave a nice, uniform texture. It wasn't as dramatic as I had hoped / expected because pressing my hand into it pushed the sand down some, but it was definitely an improvement.

David
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

Thanks David

Still waiting for my instamorph to arrive.

Did you mix the sand in as you kneaded the pellets and re did the grip, or reheated and just sprinkled on top then re-gripped?

Peter
David W. Johnson

I mixed in the sand and the coloring at the same time. Next time, I'm going to sprinkle the sand on top. I think that will give me more of the texture I was hoping for. I was toying with the idea of getting my hand wet, placing it in the sand, then gripping.

David
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

If you warm it up can you remove it entirely (or does it hang on in all the pores and stippling)?
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

It may not be a good idea putting the sand on the top.

I have heard about someone who did a similar thing, not using polymorph, and the sand came off and got in the action and caused all sorts of issues.

Just a heads up :)
David W. Johnson

Tom, I've never warmed it up, but that could certainly help. I just get under an edge and pop it off. It comes off clean in one piece with no residue left behind. You can re-heat it and do it all over again until it's the way you want.

Mark, good point. I envisioned it being pressed in far enough to prevent that, but care would have to be taken that it was pressed in everywhere. Any that attached but was not pressed in would be a potential hazard to a precision instrument. Perhaps a vigorous rub-down the finished product might cause it to release in a controlled fashion.

David
Linecutter

Post by Linecutter »

You could cover it in coarse salt while it's still soft. Let it harden & then give it a wash - the salt disappears & you get a nice rough surface left behind.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Linecutter wrote:You could cover it in coarse salt while it's still soft. Let it harden & then give it a wash - the salt disappears & you get a nice rough surface left behind.
The salt idea is a good one. I use salt (sodium) in my blaster for cleaning delicate items (carburetor bodies, distributors etc.). Then simply awh in warm water. No residue left behind. If you used it on the grip while still pliable, then the the molded material harden, and finally wash off the salt. Should look pretty nice.