Tube extension

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Orfao

Tube extension

Post by Orfao »

Hey,

I m praticing .22 (all 3 positions) and my main tube has 66 cm. I think i will benefit greatly in increasing the distances between sights so i will build a tube extension for it.

What is the recomended (or usual) extension used?
What is the maximum tube extension allowed?
What would be the special cares while building that extension?

Thanks
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Orfao,

the majority extension tubes are between 4- 12 inches long (10-30cm). For 50m rifle there is no maximum length, although tubes over 12in/30cm are not common, unless fitted to a barrel that is shorter than standard (like the 50cm barrel found on some Anschutz 2013 rifles).

Generally the more steady your hold, the longer the tube you can use, as the extension exagerates any wobble in your aim. Typically you can use a longer extension for prone than for kneeling or standing. Often shooters will position the foresight much closer to the muzzzle when standing, or will remove the tube entirely.

Special recommnedations when building? The tube must be a good fit onto the muzzle, and the attachment must allow easy removal and installation without loss of zero. Most tubes are two-part contruction; one part stays on the barrel as a locator, and the tube itself can be removed.

I would also recommned that the tube has full length grooves, so the foresight can be positioned at any point along the tube.
artandscience

Post by artandscience »

Any recommendations on specific brands/makes?

I have a 1970 SuperMatch 54 with the original barrel. Don't know what will fit it - or fit it best.

Stefan
Seattle
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

If I may be so bold as to ask, what makes you think you will benefit from a sight extension? Not saying that you won't (I know I certainly did), just more curious than anything. Know that, as Tim points out, any wiggle in your hold will be magnified. Also know that your sight clicks will be slightly finer than you expect, and that it will take more of them to go from 50 to 100 yards.

As for brands and types, Champion's Choice has one that's OK, but my favorites right now are the ones made by Eric Uptagrafft. They are expertly machined and anodized, and have a full-length rail for getting your sight in multiple positions. They also come with a tuner, if you prefer, though that version is significantly heavier than without, due to the tuner weights.

I should point out that you will need a new front sight if you decide to go the rail route. As you're shooting 3P, I definitely recommend this, as you will likely not want your front sight all the way out on the end in standing!

If you prefer to stick with the front sight you have, Champion's Choice has one that comes drilled and tapped for a front sight base. They also come with a rail, but that tends to be REALLY tight in my experience. The Upta tube has a nicer attachment method that allows for more repeatable sight settings, and easier cleaning of your crown. The Champion's Choice tube/clamp is significantly cheaper, however, and will not require the purchase of a new front sight.

In either case, you will need to accurately (read: to within a few thousandths of an inch) measure your barrel diameter. Use a set of dial calipers for this, as a ruler will not be anywhere near accurate enough. Barrel diameter varies greatly, so don't trust what someone tells you; just measure it yourself.
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

mtncwru wrote:As for brands and types, Champion's Choice has one that's OK, but my favorites right now are the ones made by Eric Uptagrafft. They are expertly machined and anodized, and have a full-length rail for getting your sight in multiple positions. They also come with a tuner, if you prefer, though that version is significantly heavier than without, due to the tuner weights.

I should point out that you will need a new front sight if you decide to go the rail route. As you're shooting 3P, I definitely recommend this, as you will likely not want your front sight all the way out on the end in standing!

If you prefer to stick with the front sight you have, Champion's Choice has one that comes drilled and tapped for a front sight base. They also come with a rail, but that tends to be REALLY tight in my experience. The Upta tube has a nicer attachment method that allows for more repeatable sight settings, and easier cleaning of your crown. The Champion's Choice tube/clamp is significantly cheaper, however, and will not require the purchase of a new front sight.
I would agree with all of this and add that after getting the Champions Choice one, I was pretty disappointed with the quality. I had the same problem of it being extremely tight, both the tube going onto the collar, and the front sight on the rail. The Uptagrafft tuner is very well made and I have seen many in use, both with and without the tuner. Another problem is that all tubes in general should be cleaned after you shoot to retain accuracy. Don't assume you need a tuner of extension to do well in prone or any other positions though. Many people have done well without them. Just my 2 cents though.
artandscience

Post by artandscience »

I'm actually just shooting prone these days, hovering around 592/593. Not sure how much (if any improvement) I'll see from a bloop tube but it has occurred to me that it would be desirable if my sight radius matched that of my fullbore rifle (currently about 33.5").

I don't find it particularly onerous to shoot the shorter barrel/sight radius right now and can probably gain more improvement by fitting my new Gemini free rifle plate than by fitting the bloop tube.