Setting up a SCATT for fullbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

higginsdj

Setting up a SCATT for fullbore

Post by higginsdj »

Hi all,

Got my SCATT yesterday and set it up for 300yd and then 1000yd Fullbore. It works and produces traces and i'impact' points consistant with how I shoot in real life. However, some of the plots (ie co-ordination) do not display with a vertical scale so are a little hard to interpet.

So, I'm open to suggestions on how best to set the SCATT up to concentrate solely on my triggering and aim/hold behaviour surrounding triggering.

Cheers

David
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

For triggering look for movement in the coordination graph at the 0.3s point before shot release. The trace should move the same before triggering as during. For hold look at the likes of 10a and 10.5a - or the equivalents on a fullbore target. 10.5a is amount of time spend in the inner ten ring (typically 50m prone - also any other discipline with an inner 10 ring). Also look at trace length as an indicator of good hold.

As outputs from your training you're looking to reduce those factors (numbers) as well as correcting any errors in shot technique, triggering, aiming and follow through - to name a few.

Rob.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Yeah - thats where using a 5/5.1 scoring ring system doesn't seem to gel well with the graphs and other advanced features. For example, my trace shows I hold inside the 5 ring 100% of the time (there is no trace outside the 5 ring) but the 10a options shows only 62%.

On the coordination and other graphs the manual shows Y axis scales 8-9-10 etc in its samples. On my output there is no scale at all. By the way, my co-ordination graph looks like a heartbeat in fibrillation...

I think I will try setting up as if for 50m prone or the like to see if a 10 ring target produces proper results.

Cheers

David
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

higginsdj wrote:Yeah - thats where using a 5/5.1 scoring ring system doesn't seem to gel well with the graphs and other advanced features. For example, my trace shows I hold inside the 5 ring 100% of the time (there is no trace outside the 5 ring) but the 10a options shows only 62%.

On the coordination and other graphs the manual shows Y axis scales 8-9-10 etc in its samples. On my output there is no scale at all. By the way, my co-ordination graph looks like a heartbeat in fibrillation...

I think I will try setting up as if for 50m prone or the like to see if a 10 ring target produces proper results.

Cheers

David
You should still get things like trace length which you can benchmark to see how it changes, as well as the 10a value of 62%. You also have a whole picture of your trace which you can look for consistency (approach, aiming time and position, and then follow through). Also in 50m prone the angle of approach should be very close to vertical and of course consistent from shot to shot. All of that you can interogate just looking at a series of traces.

Going then onto the front page of the scatt results you also have amongst other things the elliptical factor, this can start to identify where errors may be coming from.

Another thing to consider as well is to video your self shooting on scatt - showing your head and more importantly your trigger finger. When I was coaching quite high level 50M prone shooters it was very obvious how bad an awful lot of their triggering was. They were able to 'get away with it' a lot of the time, but of course not always, and the margins between the winners and the also-rans is not very large.

Rob.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

David,
one important thing is to set the "F coefficient" to a value and be aware that altering it will alter the percentage times for 10.0, 10.5, 10a0 & 10a5.

If you're looking for triggering errors or heartbeat, set the "F coefficient" high - 65 upwards.
If you're looking at aiming then set the "F coefficient" lower - less than 25 say.

It's interesting to look at the "Speed Graph" with a control time of 5 seconds too. That can show if you're releasing ON the pulse or BETWEEN the pulses. I think that is the cause of many unexpected flyers that people attribute to wind/light/mirage/ammunition etc..

Ken.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I knew my GoPro camera would come in useful one day :)

Regarding the speed graph, I cannot see a pulse. I see reasonably regular peaks and troughs at roughly 0.1 second intervals (I don't think my heart is beating at 600bmp) ranging in speed from very low (maybe 5mm/sec) up to 180mm/sec (setup as 50m Prone 5.56mm rifle). My average over 30 shots is releasing at 80mm/sec which seems to be about the average speed.

I must say that the SCATT has given me some confidence in my shot calls (aiming errors) but I still can't see/feel my poor triggering (impact point 1 ring away from the point of initiation (in various rather than a consistant direction) Hopefully the camera will help.

BTW - what is the elliptical factor - what should I be aiming for 1 and 1?(mine say for group 0.71 for tracings 0.93)

Anyone care to comment on my trigger errors (plot is distance from initiation point). Really interested in those with a value in any direction >10 at this point.

Cheers

David
Attachments
I would be interested in any comments regarding my Trigger Errors
I would be interested in any comments regarding my Trigger Errors
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I quote from a training document I use re elliptical factor

"This attempts to portray a ratio of movement between the mean point of aim in the final second for each shot and the point at which the shot is predicted to fall. It does this in both X and Y planes. We are ideally looking for two numbers that are below 1.0 and as similar as possible. Numbers significantly larger than 1.0 can suggest a generally poor hold. Numbers that are different by more than a ratio of 2 to 1 indicate a likely problem with triggering."

So yours looks quite good.

Rob.