KK300 and ammo rim thickness..

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

adrianS

KK300 and ammo rim thickness..

Post by adrianS »

In the Bleiker thread, there was some implication that Bleiker carries different bolt lengths for either Lapua/RWS or Eley. I didn't realize there was a difference in rim thickness between Eley and Lapua, but upon a google search it appears that Eley runs thin, while Lapua runs thicker. It just so happens with a scope, off bags and off my shoulder, in general Lapua runs better through my KK300. Darrell down at Lapua Test center says that he finds that Walthers tend to test well with many of the lots they have...

For those with KK300s- do you find your rifle shoots better with Lapua vs Eley? Do these actions headspace a bit longer than others?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Adrian,

as I understand it Bleiker offer a "Lapua" bolt, as they set headspace as standard to .0039in (ish), which is a tad tight for Lapua and RWS. I haven't measured the headspace on a KK300, but I would be surprised if it's as tight as a Bleiker. I'd expect it to be not very different to an Anschutz.

I think there is more to accuracy than just the headspace, so long as it is within normal spec. It's likely that Walther rifles test well at the Lapua range because they are good rifles.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

Tim S wrote:as I understand it Bleiker offer a "Lapua" bolt
Yes, or you can get just the part that differs between the Lapua and Eley bolts and switch over as-needed yourself. That's what I did, since it was substantially cheaper than buying a whole extra bolt.
Tim S wrote:It's likely that Walther rifles test well at the Lapua range because they are good rifles.
This. If it tests well, it doesn't matter what the headspace tolerances are.
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

Of course. Correlation does not imply causation. :)

Still would be interesting(as in, still probably not enough to draw any conclusions) to see a database of rifle/ammo combinations.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Adrian,

I think that would be of academic interest only. If you look over the medal winners from the world cups over the last few years you will see that just about every combination of rifle and ammo can be successful.

I don't doubt that there are rifles out there that will only shoot a particular brand well, but many will shoot well with all, when paired with a batch that suits the barrel. I think the factors that affect ammunition choice are largely brand loyalty, cost, and availability. To draw reference to the world cups again, many shooters have been successful with the same rifle, but different brands of ammunition.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

adrianS wrote:Still would be interesting(as in, still probably not enough to draw any conclusions) to see a database of rifle/ammo combinations.
Yup. I know that both Eley and Lapua recorded the details of my rifle when testing with them, so I imagine they're keeping some sort of records.

It wouldn't be in their best interest to publish the results I suspect. :(