.22 Revolver Questions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orpanaut

.22 Revolver Questions

Post by Orpanaut »

I've been thinking about getting a .22 LR revolver so I can shoot an entire 2700 with wheelguns. I'd also like to be able to practice my revolver technique with a .22.

I have a few questions for those who have been down this path...

1) What is a realistic accuracy goal for a .22 revolver (probably a S&W Model 17) at 50 yards? I know that rotating 5 or more chambers into place is a handicap, so I'm not expecting anything under an inch, but what about 2"?

2) Will a stock Model 17 reliably ignite most .22 ammo in double action mode? I've had .22 revolvers in the past that worked fine when thumb-cocking the hammer but would have a few light strikes per cylinder when shooting double action. If there is an issue, can it be fixed without making the trigger pull difficult to manage?

3) Is there a way to mill the barrel to allow direct mounting of small red dot sight? I know that there are lots of mounts that replace the rear sight, but what I want is a way to pop a dot on and off while leaving the rear sight in place. Is it possible to cut a dovetail mount into the rib on top of the barrel?
6string

Post by 6string »

The right revolver can be quite competitive. I have found through extensive experience that the pre-war Colt Officer's model Target, Police Positive Target, and pre-war Smith & Wesson K22 Masterpiece and Bekeart model are superbly accurate. The factories put a lot of time and effort in fitting and timing the cylinders for great accuracy. I never machine rested any of these, but I suspect 1-1.5" @ 50 yds. is realistic with the right ammo. I used to shoot the old 20 yd course of fire at a revolver club and often managed sub 1" groups off hand slow fire.
If you want to mount a red dot to one of these grand old timers, you may want to find one that is non-original. It's not too hard to find one with a King's Guns full length rib. I'm sure fitting a red dot would be little trouble.
The triggers on these old revolvers are usually smooth as butter. Good Double action timed and rapid shooting is a reasonable goal.
As for newer guns, a Korth or Manhurin Sport would be fine choices. As for recent domestic products, I've been unimpressed with the fitting, timing and tuning. Basically, the new stuff are plinkers compared to the older guns. But, you may get lucky with an exception, maybe a Colt Officer's Match?

I wish you the very best in your admirable effort to go "all wheelgun"!

Jim
kle

Post by kle »

I made Master shooting revolvers (a Model 617 for .22 and a Model 625 for CF/.45) both indoors and outdoors. The .22 was plenty accurate.

Aimtech makes a mount that uses the sideplate screw-holes for older S&Ws (the ones without the captive spring-loaded plunger to retain the cylinder) and clamps over the top-strap of the frame to provide a weaver base for optics; the rear sight stays in place (and can actually be used - the rail is high enough and the clamping screws are low enough that the rear sight can be used as a back-up).

I used one on a Model 17 for a little while, and a 1930's .32-20 Hand Ejector:

They also make them for L-frames and N-frames (i.e. the Model 25).

There can be issues with using the mount and certain grips.
Ttgoods

Are K-22's really that expensive

Post by Ttgoods »

I have never seen one priced under $1000 if at all

Seems a little out of whack when I can buy a K-38 for $600 to $1200

Is there another alternative that shoots well?
6string

Post by 6string »

One caveat for the K22 is to be on the lookout for peened bolt notches in the cylinder. K22s have always been in demand amongst a certain faction of the shooting public as a trainer for rapid double action shooting. As such the notches around the cylinder are often deformed.
This would be another reason to look for a Colt Officer's Model Target or Match 22.

Best regards,
Jim
Ttgoods

22revolver

Post by Ttgoods »

Is a colt diamond back a good alternative to a K22?
kle

Re: Are K-22's really that expensive

Post by kle »

Ttgoods wrote:I have never seen one priced under $1000 if at all

Seems a little out of whack when I can buy a K-38 for $600 to $1200

Is there another alternative that shoots well?
A used Model 17/K-22 Masterpiece in decent condition should be about $600-$700 in today's market.
Ttgoods wrote:Is a colt diamond back a good alternative to a K22?
Sure. Generally, the Colt Diamondback revolvers are more expensive than the K22/Model 17s. Grips may not be as varied or available for the Diamondback, however (plenty of different grips available for the S&W K-frame).
Gwelo

Re: .22 Revolver Questions

Post by Gwelo »

I have found the Colt Officers Model Match to be a much more accurate revolver than the Diamondback, both in .22 and .38 spl. Better trigger, lockwork, etc, not to mention much less $$$. The DB is way prettier with the vented rib, much like the Python, which drives the cost.
conradin

Re: .22 Revolver Questions

Post by conradin »

I learn something today. I don't even know that .22 can be a competitive sporting revolver..