Centra "high end" glass aperture or adjustable?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

adrianS

Centra "high end" glass aperture or adjustable?

Post by adrianS »

I'm still using acrylic apertures in my 18mm front sight. I also haven't seen the movie "Titanic" yet. So It's pretty clear I'm still living in the dark ages.

In my quest to upgrade my equipment into finer and finer detail, Ive heard a few people mentioning they've reverted from an adjustable front aperture to a Centra "High end" glass aperture..

For anyone who's had experience with Centra's "sharpest aperture ever" as quoted by 10pt9.com, should I get these instead of an adjustable one? For those who run adjustable ones, please school me on the best, most sharpest ones.

thanks,
Adrian
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hi-end inserts are very good. You get the clear, unobstructed effect of Perspex elements, but the metal ring won't fade in strong light unlike bevelled plastic. A further advantage is that you have a choice of ring thicknesses (1.2mm, 1.4mm, and 1.6mm IIRC).

The disadvantage is that it's slightly less easy to change hi-ends on the firing point than an iris, particularly if you have an anti-glare tube or filter screwed into the inset, and you have to remember to take the spare insets in the first place. Also if you need more than a few hi-ends (say for prone with a tube, and standing w/o), the cost can add up, and an iris may be more economical.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobinC

elements

Post by RobinC »

Or use metal elements, no perspex, acrylic, or glass to obstruct the view, no reflection off the glass, simple, cheap.
I'm told the boat sank.
Good shooting
Robin
Jordan1s

Re: elements

Post by Jordan1s »

Or use the vario swing front iris if you got the money.
RobinC wrote: I'm told the boat sank.
Good shooting
Robin
Hey! Don't spoil the ending for the poor fellow :)
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Hi End and don't look back. They are the best picture you can get.
Ed
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've decided to get the high end glass.
I'm only using 2 sizes currently, 1 for prone and 1 for kneeling/standing, so getting 2 pieces won't be too bad
. And I like the fact that the glass and screw on holder are one piece, so I don't have to fumble with tiny plastic apertures that get dirty from finger prints.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I am in the same "boat" as you. Until my right eye went to hell I used the Anschutz double adjustable so I could change both the inside and outside diameter. That worked well for me.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Just to remind you that the Centra High end glass is available in at least 2 ring thicknesses, I use 1.4mm as the others are too small for my eye sight.
AHG make a polycarbonate [plastic] insert of optical quality with a black insert in the centre, Check their web site.
peashooter

Post by peashooter »

Is the Centra duo-glas adjustable less clear/bright/defined than the high end insert? Is it the glass or does the way the circle is created somehow affect the definition?