Cheap ammo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Cheap ammo

Post by conradin »

Since I started to learn how to use my Hämmerli-Walther Olympia 203 for Bullseye and STP, I find I have used a lot of cartridges. I am primary an FP shooter, I do not shoot that many during training or in a match, so I always buy the best which cost a lot of money (Eley Tenex and Lapua Xact). I do a lot of dry firing so I seldom shoot more than 30 rounds in a training session.

I have a box of Winchester cyclone, one of those 555 or 333 box full of .22lr. Quality is marginal. I have to go through each one of them to make sure it is OK even when I use them for a cheap pistol. I wonder if I use them for training, would it damage or compromise my 203 in the long run?
slofyr

Re: Cheap ammo

Post by slofyr »

conradin wrote:...I have a box of Winchester cyclone, one of those 555 or 333 box full of .22lr.... I wonder if I use them for training, would it damage or compromise my 203 in the long run?
I think Cyclone is hi-vel at around 1280fps. It will likely be too hot for the recoil spring in the 203 and could damage the slide and frame. If it were my 203, it would only get standard velocity.