Hi everyone. New member from Michigan...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bountybuddy

Hi everyone. New member from Michigan...

Post by bountybuddy »

I hope I'm putting this is the right location. New member here from the Philippines and Michigan. My wife and I spend about 8 months a year in the Philippines and about 4 months a year in Michigan. This looks like a really great site and I'm very pleased I found it. I'm trying to decide between the Daisy Avanti 753C and the Avanti 753CM. Please let me know if any of you have opinions on which I should buy. I'm retired so I have plenty of time to practice. Shoot well my friends.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

What are you going for?
Casual shooting or competitions.

The Daisy 753 series are considered junior "Sporter" Air Rifles and are pretty much used only in competitions for juniors.

For casual practice, either are OK
bountybuddy

I hope both casual and competition...

Post by bountybuddy »

I hope to do both casual and competition shooting. I found one match but it was a three hour drive one way from my home. I hope to find something closer if I can, because of my age. I might be asking for to much, but I hope not. I found one other competition that was a one hour drive from my home which is better. They only have these shoots once a year. I was hoping for much more.

I'm about 5'9 1/2" tall. I know I can add spacers to lengthen the stock on a Daisy 853C. I was hoping this would give me the right stock length. Do you feel the Daisy 853C would be to small for me. I was under the impression many grown ups shoot them. Am I wrong about this?

Thank you very much for your help.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

Sounds like your frame is such that the 853 will fit you. I am 6'4", and the three spacers just weren't quite enough for me to shoot it comforatably. I had/wanted to make my own spacer out of wood. It is a bit longer than the three spacers that come with the gun. However, my arms are very long. In dress shirt I have 36 inch sleeves. Trying to find a pistol grip to fit is even more fun due to long fingers. Based upon your size, you should have not problems with the stock extensions.

The 853 is a good rifle for practice and fun shooting. Not sure it is something that you would want to take to a serious competition. Our local club has shoots on weeknights during the winter. Most of the retired adults ended up buying the 853's to shoot. The kids also mostly shoot the 853. Of course there are a few that shoot the expensive FWB, or Anschutz. They shoot circles around the rest of us.

The 853 is a great gun, but you will most definitely want to do the trigger modification. Our host has some good information about that. They are also great for standing position, but are about impossible to shoot from prone due to the pumping mechanism being on the bottom.

Enjoy, they are a lot of fun. You may want to get the model with the 5 shot clip. It makes it a lot easier to load. I wish I would have gotten that model when I bought mine.

Also saw your thoughts on the other page about the IZH-46M. They are a good starter pistol as well. A lot cheaper than the PCP, and shoot as well.

Enjoy.
bountybuddy

bam86, are you talking about the 853 or the 853C?

Post by bountybuddy »

I'm not sure if you are talking about the Daisy 853 or the 853C. I was talking about the 853C.

The next step up from the 853C is the 853CM which is what the ROTC units use all over America. People that have used the 853CM rave about it. Never a bad thing to say about it. Maybe I would be better off buying the Daisy 853 CM. I think I'm talking about what they call the Daisy Avanti 853CM. Weight 6.4 pounds. Cocking effort is 25 pounds. In a 60 shot match that would be 1500 pounds of pumping. That might be to much for me.

The nest step up is the Daisy Avanti 753. Weight is the same, 6.4 pounds. Cocking effort is 20% less at 20 pounds. A 60 shot match would be 1200 pounds of pumping. I won't know if it will be to much until I try it. I'm amazed they don't have a good review on youtube of this air rifle.

It looks like the PCP's have almost pushed the pumpers out of the picture. I'll have to lose some weight, exercise and toughen up. At one time I could climb a 50' rope all the way up and back down with my legs never touching the rope. Yes, that was back in the dark ages. The only other option is to have them increase my Social Security. No, I don't think they would do that even for such a noble cause. Shot well my friend. I have to think about it.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

pistol weight is 6.4 pounds? I'm either reading this wrong or you have to be getting wrong info. That is what your average hunting rifle weights. PCP air pistols weight around 2.3 pounds and a fully loaded double stack 45 still weighs less than 3 pounds