Five year old goodie!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

Five year old goodie!

Post by Rover »

rmca

Post by rmca »

Come on Rover...

You know that opinions on the ten year rule will spread like the plague...

And then we will come to the conclusion that although this is a silly and over protective rule, those who shoot at major events still have to comply with it...

How's your pellet testing endeavors? Add pictures... That's more exciting.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yeah, I know we'll choke on it.

I gave up pellet testing (at least to post here). I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the trouble to argue with guys who won't bother to do their own, but will tell me of the wonders of their untested pellets. Besides, I now agree with Pilk that it just doesn't matter.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Perhaps interesting that the new Morini tanks now have a 10 year 'certification'.

New long tank
Old short tank
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Breaking News

The reason for all this mess with the tanks is now well named. I have found a paper from the in Germany well known shooting equipment seller company Heinrich Allermann GmbH. In this paper the German testing organization TUV explains why they are not longer allowed to test these tanks for an other period of use.
Hierbei haben die Hersteller auf das Problem einer von Ihnen als „interstellaren Korrosion“ bezeichneten Schädigung hingewiesen.
Yeah, the real reason is "Interstellare Korrosion".

So true, our beloved shooting sport was ever a special kind from the outer space, sure!

Our mission: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Regards

Frank
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

It's an conspiracy, from the Aliens. they knew we would seek new life and worlds far from home. but they know it will take longer than ten years for us to get there. and our air tanks will be out of date when we arrive. but because we are all law abiding citizens we will be unable to shoot the evil aliens. The Aliens are smart they have planned this.

Glen Turner
David M

Post by David M »

FrankD wrote:
Hierbei haben die Hersteller auf das Problem einer von Ihnen als „interstellaren Korrosion“ bezeichneten Schädigung hingewiesen.
Yeah, the real reason is "Interstellare Korrosion".
I suspect the correct translation will refer to Intergranular Stress Corrosion Cracking (IGSCC)

Stress corrosion cracking (SCC) is the bane of aluminum alloys. SCC requires three simultaneous conditions, first a susceptible alloy, second a humid or water environment, and third a tensile stress which will open the crack and enable crack propagation. SCC can occur in two modes, intergranular stress corrosion cracking (IGSCC) which is the more common form, or transgranular SCC (TGSCC). In IGSCC, the crack follows the grain boundaries. In transgranular stress corrosion cracking (TGSCC), the cracks cut through the grains and are oblivious to the grain boundaries.

The only testing for this form of damage is by very expensive NDT eddy current, ultra sonic or xray examination.
Easier to buy a new tank.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

GTFS wrote:It's an conspiracy, from the Aliens. they knew we would seek new life and worlds far from home. but they know it will take longer than ten years for us to get there. and our air tanks will be out of date when we arrive. but because we are all law abiding citizens we will be unable to shoot the evil aliens. The Aliens are smart they have planned this.

Glen Turner
By 'aliens', do you mean Californians?
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

So the way to longevity for our tanks is to live in a dry climate and fill with dry nitrogen rather than breathable air? Guess I'm in good shape then ......