Tired of Explaining.....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Brian Lafferty

Tired of Explaining.....

Post by Brian Lafferty »

....why I shoot to those who either do not shoot and/or are hostile to shooting/guns. So I was playing around on the Cafe Press web site with making a tee shirt that reads on the front and back "Shooting, Archery, Zen" with a seated Buddha below the words. Thoughts, additions? I will have one made up soon. The design I did has green ink on a black shirt.
Good shooting,
Brian
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

As one who shoots firearms and practices Kyudo, Japanese Zen archery, I appreciate your efforts. I would love one if they become available. Questions; will the green ink show up well enough on black ?
And will they be available for purchase ?

Thanks again for effort,

Dr. Lee
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Dr.Lee wrote:As one who shoots firearms and practices Kyudo, Japanese Zen archery, I appreciate your efforts. I would love one if they become available. Questions; will the green ink show up well enough on black ?
And will they be available for purchase ?

Thanks again for effort,

Dr. Lee
I think so. When I order one, I'll post a photo. It's easy enough to make them up online. The fellow who fills my scuba tank is an archer and we discuss the Zen of our sports all the time.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

I have spent some time in Barnet, VT at the Karme Choling meditation center doing zen archery.
They should have Free pistol and Air Pistol as Zen activities there.
I have always enjoyed the zen aspects of Free and Air. Good stuff.

Dr.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Of course it's a matter of taste and perception, but from my perspective the choice of black for the shirt might be slightly on the heavy metal side of things for what you're after. Might I suggest a sort of creamy off-white? And the text and Buddha in a very non-controversial brown? Green on black could look like camo on black ops if viewed from an anti's perspective. Hard to point a finger at something as neutral as brown on cream.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

Gerard, you may have a point. Softer look. Brian, can there be choices in the colors ?
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Gerard wrote:Of course it's a matter of taste and perception, but from my perspective the choice of black for the shirt might be slightly on the heavy metal side of things for what you're after. Might I suggest a sort of creamy off-white? And the text and Buddha in a very non-controversial brown? Green on black could look like camo on black ops if viewed from an anti's perspective. Hard to point a finger at something as neutral as brown on cream.
Black for me. I think red could be a problem, but the green is quite peaceful looking--especially the seated Buddha. The text font is a rounded type so there is nothing jarring about it. Maybe it needs a pot plant too?? Or a Xanax logo? ;-)

You can order them in a variety of color shirt material and ink is quite variable. Lots of choices. Just go to Cafe Press and play around with their design software.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I want a black background version. Thanks. Show me the design please?
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

You may want to look into how Buddhists feel about the imagery. Consider the response if you substituted another icon.

Zen Buddhism gets silly and too many worry about appearances and trappings. Just shoot.
v76

Post by v76 »

Thoughts: If it makes you feel less self-conscious about your own involvement in the sport, OK - but I don't think it will have much impact beyond feeding your own and/or other people's frustrations. I think a way to go about achieving what you're after is to let the people who are interested come to you and learn rather than bury yourself in an endless vortex of rhetoric. In short: being zen rather than describe what you perceive as a state of zen.
ZenShooting

Re: Tired of Explaining.....

Post by ZenShooting »

Brian Lafferty wrote:....why I shoot to those who either do not shoot and/or are hostile to shooting/guns. So I was playing around on the Cafe Press web site with making a tee shirt that reads on the front and back "Shooting, Archery, Zen" with a seated Buddha below the words. Thoughts, additions? I will have one made up soon. The design I did has green ink on a black shirt.
Good shooting,
Brian

If you are indeed zen about your ways, then you shouldn't feel the need to perform the unselfish act of trying to change others' viewpoints.

See people's questions at face value and respond with answers as practical as possible. If you are then met with either understanding or perplexion, you are on the right track. Carry on.

:)
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

"Skill-at-arms is a social duty" invariably confuses and silences the lefties, at least for a while.

My answer to the question "do you do any martial arts" - "yes, shooting, and I used to do a little fencing" is invariably met with "no but I meant do you do any martial arts".

Its strange that Asian martial arts are seen as worthy pursuits of fitness, strength and zen, but western martial arts are the preserve of kooks.
It also seems odd that its OK to learn to maim or kill people with your bare hands, but carrying a small sharp instrument can earn you prison time.
spektr

My New Shirt...

Post by spektr »

BULLSEYE, Like Bowling, only louder
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I don't think he's trying to change anyones ways. I also don't think that we should have to appologize to anyone for enjoying the perfectly legal sport that we do just because some people find guns repulsive. Personally I find basketball and soccer repulsive but I don't think less of people who do like the gun haters do of us. And I definately wouldn't go for the "non-controversial" color scheme.

Scott
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Still playing with designs. Will likely decide and order toward the end of the month. It will say Shooting, Archery, Zen. Still looking at logos to put on with the words.
Good shooting,
Brian
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Here is what I ordered. So much for waiting. lol
Brian
Attachments
tshirt.jpg
tshirt.jpg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Shirt arrived. Looks good. Fits well. CafePress strikes again.