Red line (pistol safe) - ISSF specification?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Zeddsded

Red line (pistol safe) - ISSF specification?

Post by Zeddsded »

Does anyone know if there's an ISSF specification for the red material that's threaded through the barrel of an unaccompanied pistol to demonstrate that it is safe?

We have some red plastic line at the club, but it is quite thin and is extremely fiddly to thread through the barrel as I assume it keeps catching the rifling.

I've watched YouTube videos of World Cup events and the line they use seems much thicker and threads through the pistol with ease.

Any information on this material would be most welcome.
Steyr LP10 E
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ISSF rule 6.2.2.2 says:-

Safety flags constructed of fluorescent orange or a similar bright material must be inserted in all rifles, pistols and semi-automatic shotguns at all times except when safety flag removal is authorized by these rules. To demonstrate that air guns are unloaded, safety flags (safety lines) must be long enough to extend through the full length of the barrel. Safety flags for all other guns must have a part that inserts into the chamber (breech end of barrel) to demonstrate that the chamber is empty. Actions must be open (broken) to demonstrate that double barrel shotguns are unloaded.

I think that the operative words are "fluorescent orange or a similar bright material".

Red? I certainly don't like it on my range as, for many people, it negates the "see clear from a distance" reason for flags.
David Levene

Re: Red line (pistol safe) - ISSF specification?

Post by David Levene »

Zeddsded wrote:Any information on this material would be most welcome.
2.5mm or 3mm yellow strimmer line will usually do the job.

On some pistols you might have to straighten and chamfer the end.
Gwhite

Re: Red line (pistol safe) - ISSF specification?

Post by Gwhite »

Zeddsded wrote:Any information on this material would be most welcome.
I had to make up a while bunch of lines for a team, and the material I found that works best is 0.080" diameter "Echo" brand, part #310080062. This is bright red, round, stiff, and nice & smooth so it won't pick up dirt very quickly.

http://echopower.ca/catalog/pictures/ca ... 0/3000.jpg
http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail.asp?id=310080062

Depending on your pistol, the natural curve of a lot of line material can be a pain. I made an annealing oven to straighten the line out:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=39

I eventually made a frame that would hold ten lines at once, and keep them under tension. That way when they shrink, they come out very straight. For one or two, a heat gun & a weight works OK.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You can buy 'strimmer cord' of all shapes and sizes (and colours) on Amazon, ebay etc, and they cost very little for 10M. I bought bright orange because it was what was available in the right sort of thickness and as mentioned that's what the ISSF suggest. If you get thin red line, it wont be easy to thread or be visible, so suggest you fork out a few dollars and buy a bulk spool.

Rob.
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

Thanks guys, trimmer line it is!

Thinking about it I've got a spare spool of orange line for my own strimmer in the garage. I'll try that for size before looking for something heavier.

Cheers, Jon
Steyr LP10 E
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

[quote="David LeveneI think that the operative words are "fluorescent orange or a similar bright material".

Red? I certainly don't like it on my range as, for many people, it negates the "see clear from a distance" reason for flags.[/quote]

Can not understand that one.
Please explain.
May all your shots be "10's"
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

xtreme wrote:[quote="David LeveneI think that the operative words are "fluorescent orange or a similar bright material".

Red? I certainly don't like it on my range as, for many people, it negates the "see clear from a distance" reason for flags.
Can not understand that one.
Please explain.[/quote]

Quite simply, for many with even mild colour blindness, red tends to get lost into dark backgrounds at anything over a few feet distance.

Brighter colours are easier to see from a distance and that visible demonstration of a clear gun makes it easier to declare a range as safe.