I'm fomenting trouble again

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

I'm fomenting trouble again

Post by Rover »

Nothing seems to start the ranters like pellet testing. Here's a little something to set them off; especially the cheap ones.

http://www.10pt9.com/Ammunition/Pellet- ... -p162.html

Are you going to go with the testing I have done, or do it yourself (as I recommend).

Will it matter?

Have fun!!!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Rover ... you're funny!

My opinion:
1) Yes, it matters ... score is in 10ths now.
2) You may not be able to determine the "best" pellet on any given day, I'm deferring to Rick's maniacal testing here, BUT you will certainly find the pellets your gun does not like and be able to stay away from them.
David M

Post by David M »

50 pellets to a packet........too many
Do they come in packs of 3 or 5 ?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Didn't when I cause up a storm when I WAS EVEN more IGNORANT then now about tests? Nowadays I shoot QY and RWS R-10 and I see no difference, but then again I am not good enough to shoot for a score that separate the 10 and the X.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

David M wrote:50 pellets to a packet........too many
Do they come in packs of 3 or 5 ?
Being serious now I have seen the math for ammunition testing, specifically for British millitary contract 7.62×51 NATO rounds made by RG, as this is the as issued ammo that the NRA (GB) used to use for TR. Essentially as you increase the number of rounds in the group the confidence that the group size will approach the size for the entire batch incrases. For a three round group that confidence is about 15%. Five rounds gets you to around 50% and ten rounds 75%. Fifteen rounds gets you to about 90% and 20 rounds will get you something like 98%. So a 20 round group is going to be very representative, and is what the MOD used for the 7.62×51 contract. Moving the group to fifty rounds will take you to well in to 99% teritory, and is why Eley use that number of rounds for final factory batch testing.

For smallbore I know that batch testing is useful, and if you can afford the cost it is well worth while. I have not tried batch testing for 10m match rifles, I am not sure just how useful it can be, even with decimal scoring. If there were big benefits to it I would be expecting the manufacturers to be offering it as a service in the same way they do for the smallbore ammunition. Easy access to a variety of batches/brands to test is always going to be an issue though, buying 500 when you only want 50 is very wasteful of pellets, at least for the ones you don't want to use, so this option to buy test packs is great. There have been a couple of retailers here in the UK offering test packs of different brands, but for the FT/hunting domed type pellets. But then FT shooters probably outnumber 10m match shooters 10 to 1 here.

Alan
Rover

Post by Rover »

Conradin, why aren't you shooting RWS Basic for highest scores?

DavidM, you're absolutely right!

JHMartin, you're absolutely right, too! (But ONLY on step 2.)

Does asparagus make your pee stink?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:Conradin, why aren't you shooting RWS Basic for highest scores?
Um, because I have three sleeves of R-10 already and they would last me a long time? I shoot far less now per practice; less is more.
Rover

Post by Rover »

As long as you have time on your hands, perhaps you and Gerard and the other musical types would care to work on THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQqJDB ... ture=share
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

jhmartin wrote:Rover ... you're funny!

My opinion:
1) Yes, it matters ... score is in 10ths now.
2) You may not be able to determine the "best" pellet on any given day, I'm deferring to Rick's maniacal testing here, BUT you will certainly find the pellets your gun does not like and be able to stay away from them.

I've got your number this time Joel! You're not pulling me in to a 6 page argument on pellet testing this time!! LOL!

All I'm going to say is if you want to win in the big matches.... testing matters!
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:As long as you have time on your hands, perhaps you and Gerard and the other musical types would care to work on THIS:

I think free pistol design rules do not prevent one putting a glass of vodka and on top of the grip...
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

conradin wrote:
Rover wrote:As long as you have time on your hands, perhaps you and Gerard and the other musical types would care to work on THIS:

I think free pistol design rules do not prevent one putting a glass of vodka and on top of the grip...
8.4.1.3 Sights
a) Only open sights are allowed. Optical, mirror, telescope, laser-beam, electronically projected dot sights etc., are prohibited;

Would the glass be an optical sight?
Through a glass darkly?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Well considering blatant disregard for a traditional weapon safety rule which has a number of competitors looking right into their pistol barrels to feed a weedwacker line into the muzzle... I suppose one could just make a slightly fatter barrel shroud and fill that with vodka. Shouldn't be too tricky to machine a pretty cap with a centre hole to seal this twin walled cylindrical shroud. The cap could even offer the secondary function of being an air stripper with a bit of ingenuity in the machining. Simply unscrew the compensator to sip some now and then as the match progresses. Call it a timed gradual reduction in front end mass compensating (pun intended) for fatigue.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I thought this was about words that start with "P", such as pellets, pivo, pee, Podunk, and eleemosynary.

And Big Al, buying whole tins of pellets for testing isn't wasteful....you can save them for use in important matches (if even just for an excuse).
conradin

Post by conradin »

Yes it does. It is called Россия (Russia). It starts with a P..