How old is to OLD?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Instead of thinking about how much money each pistol costs, is there a local club or match you can attend? The informtion you can pick up from the club members or competitors and their pistols would be helpful to you in narrowing down your choices. In my opinion, this would be a worthwhile step as it would be expensive to purchase a pistol you may not be happy with.
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

conradin wrote:If LP10 is good enough for her, its good enough for everyone.
I wouldn't assume to think a top competitor who uses a specific product would make that product ideal for everyone else too.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Guest 2 wrote:
conradin wrote:If LP10 is good enough for her, its good enough for everyone.
I wouldn't assume to think a top competitor who uses a specific product would make that product ideal for everyone else too.
What I really meant was, there was a massive switch from these athletes from LP-10 to Lp-10E. People who used older pistols switch to the E version, people who are new to the scene use the E. I found it rather shocking that suddenly a lot of people dumped their LP-10 for LP-10E. When I asked Vika what she used, she said it was still the LP-10. This was when the field we have all these LP-10E for everyone else (I think Nino is the other one who still used the LP-10). Here we stated that people should not change pistols because it matters little, yet right before our eyes all the top class athletes switch to LP-10E, as if the LP-10 is completely obsolete.

On the other hand, you can hardly find ANYONE using LP400, most still stick with LP300XT.
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

I went with the LP-10 here from our sponsor.
It's important to support those who help us. Those my age can attest to the fact that there were a great many places including MOM and POP stores that went the wayside swallowed by big competition. Sometimes you get a great deal and sometimes you don't but the fact is they are here when you need them. You will miss them when they are gone someday. Look at best buy who is struggling saying the internet is killing them and Circuit city has really gone down the tubes.
any way-I made up my mind so the stress of making the right decision is gone now and I can start shooting.
robinhoods
izzyjim

Post by izzyjim »

Good choice robbinhoods. I don't think a LP10 will hold you back at all.

As a 72 year old, ex bullseye shooter, with a 20 year period of NO shooting, and who has been shooting air pistol for less than a year, I really look forward to reading about your progress.

I guess I'm hoping that one of your AHAA moments will break through my my stubborn determination to focus on the target, and jerk the trigger at the opportune moment...Jim
mark e

Post by mark e »

Good for you robinhoods, enjoy your new toy
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gargle that Kool-Ade!!!
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

Gargle,gargle,Glug,glug!
Hey I just found out the Jason Turner lives right here in Rochester ny.
I hear he is a bartender downtown.
I should go in and order a pardini K12 and see what he gives me.
He won Bronse at the 2008 olympics by default.
The winner was DQ'ed so he went from 4th to 3rd.
robinhoods
mark e

Post by mark e »

when you get your range done, invite him over to get his butt handed to him. LOL
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

I'm 64 and have been shooting 10 meter air pistol for a little over a year. I do postal matches and just did my first live competition. Great fun and the beauty of the sport, like running or bicycle time trialing, is that you can go for personal bests and also compete in age groups. You're as young as you allow yourself to feel. Feel young and you will have a blast. My personal best in 40 shots is now 361 and for 60 shots a 529. My goals are to hit 550 and 370.
BTW, check out Target Shooting Canada for a great, easy to enter postal match every month.
http://www.targetshooting.ca/

Good shooting,
Brian
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

Still thinking about the Benelli Kite.
I know if I set up the range on the 3rd floor My son will be over a lot to shoot. I might get the benelli kite pistol after all. The only thing that bothers me is that Tom Gaylord did not rank it that high.
He has the Steyr,feinwerkbau and anschutz as the best and the kite was not a bargain even at $1200 at that time.He did like the grip trigger and sight but said it was just a good no frills gun.
anyway I have to think about it.
robinhoods

Hey two guns is better than one.
I'll clamp them both to the bench and shoot ten rounds and see which has the tighter group
When I get my gun and everything set up I will shoot my forst target and take a picture of it with the dat and do that evey month and store it on disk.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I know of a local smokin' deal on a FWB C20 I can hook you up with.

Want to bet it will outshoot your new toy. Conradin wasn't man enough to handle it.
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

I don't think I want to get in to CO2-Have to get a tank etc etc
robinhoods.
If I did it would probably be the FWB model 2
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

Rover
I don't know the first thing about CO2 pistols.
The tau and others can run off cartridges-(simple enough) but what do you need for the C20.
I like the looks of it.
robinhoods.

I have to buy a tank right?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:I know of a local smokin' deal on a FWB C20 I can hook you up with.

Want to bet it will outshoot your new toy. Conradin wasn't man enough to handle it.
I have plenty of ladies friends. I think I am man enough and do not require any pistol for compensation, although for reasons unknown I do like having extremely long free pistols.
Last edited by conradin on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Stick with Steyr LP-1 LP-10 or LP-10E. For one thing most people have them. Parts are easy to find. Buck is a great gunsmith so repair is no problem. Plenty of older cylinders you can get.

You cannot go wrong.
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

I already bought the LP-10 from Pilkguns and should be on it's way but thinking of another for when my son comes over.
I know he will stop after work and shoot for awhile.

Robinhoods

Just don't know for a second gun-could be anything
conradin

Post by conradin »

You can always buy another Steyr LP-10. :)
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

conradin wrote:You can always buy another Steyr LP-10. :)
Or a nice 64M to make him lust for your Styer. But, I'm just being naughty.
Good shooting,
Briain
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, 'Hood, what happened to your famous FWB 65 and Pardini 58?

Gettin' too old to pump anymore?