How old is to OLD?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

robinhoods

How old is to OLD?

Post by robinhoods »

Hi
I'm 70 so I will never shoot competition but I have been through about four or five FWB 65's and 80"s. Stepped up to a morini 162 I think but my taste changed to boating and I got out of it but now the urge is back again.
Even though I'm the only one shooting on the third floor of my house
(Prarie style Colonial) huge with maybe 50' of clear space. There is still competition felt in trying to better my own groups.
My question is this.
Would I be stupid to go out and buy a top gun even though I will never be good enough to compete at meets.
I think at my age a Pardini or Steyr or Feinwerkbau would be all the same to me.
robinhoods
slofyr

Re: How old is to OLD?

Post by slofyr »

robinhoods wrote:I'm 70 so I will never shoot competition...Would I be stupid to go out and buy a top gun even though I will never be good enough to compete at meets...
You're alive and can get out of bed every morning. That, alone, justifies whatever you would like to do. Buy a nice pistol and enjoy it.... and you will.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

As a wise wise man once told me, "While we might never afford a Ferrari, we can afford the Ferrari of firearms." Slofyr was spot on with his response; buy whatever pistol you like the most and enjoy it!
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

You nor I will shoot Olympic level competition.
But a GOOD gun will eliminate "blame the gun" as a reason for a bad shot or not being able to shoot well.
It is also good psychology to shoot a GOOD gun. You are shooting the best, so you try to do your best, and even better.
I upgraded to a Walther CPM1 and shot my best scores. Will upgrading to a Styer LP-10 improve my scores. It very well might, because I would be trying harder to make use of the new gun.

Bottom line, if you can afford it...go for it.
I would.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I am 73 and just bought a new Pardini SP Bullseye, wish I had bought it when I was younger.
I'll keep shooting as long as I can pull the trigger.
robinhoods

old shooters

Post by robinhoods »

I might be wrong but I thought about a LP 10E but read somewhere that some were free firing or something but firing without touching the trigger.
is that true. Just wondering if anyone knew what gun has won the most medals-morini or steyr.
thanks
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Don't give up hope. Back in the 90's a young gent in his late 70's won an Eastern State championship with a score well over 2600. You just never know until you try it.
Chris
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

@RH
A suggestion.
Pick up the gun and FEEL it.
At the top level, all the guns will shoot better than 99.999% of the shooters out there.
What I found different is the feel.
Some guns will just fit you better than others. And my bet is that you will be able to shoot them better as well...because it fits you.
Example, I have a small hand, I was amazed at how well the Pardini K58 fit my hand, and how BIG the grip of the Walther CPM1 was. My Pardini needed very little work to fit my hand, and in fact it felt pretty good w/o any work on the grip. My Walther however, needed SIGNIFICANT work on the grip for my hand to fit, and even now it just barely fits me.
Misny

Post by Misny »

If you can afford it, buy the best gun that suits you. If you buy less, you will always wonder.
robinhoods

old gunner

Post by robinhoods »

I don't have the option of picking up a gun here for the feel.
I live in upper ny state. I am now considering getting either the LP 10E or the K12-one of the other.
Right now I am converting my third floor to a shooting range.
It's wide open with at least 50' of clear shooting-wood floors and dry walled sides and high ceiling.
I could even get a target retrieval system in there.
robinhoods
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If you have the means to do so, go ahead and shoot to your heart's content, you only live once.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Do it, why compromise? 70 is never too old. 2 persons won Olympic shooting medals past the age of 70. As long as you are alive, you can shoot. Do it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Nah, you won't see any difference in your scores and even if there were it won't matter because you're only shooting against yourself.

Piss the money away on booze and young women, then waste the rest.

BTW We have guys at my club that will make you ashamed for your sniveling about old age.

Do something! Go shoot some matches or at least a few postal matches to stimulate yourself. (Watch out for that stimulation, though.)
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Those shakey old guys are the ones that taught me how to shoot.

Get out there, have some fun, and pass your knowledge along.

And yes, buy you that Pardini .22, it shoots so good it feels like cheating....
Rover

Post by Rover »

I just got back from a match a few minutes ago. The 70+ shooter next to me shot a new Grand Senior NRA national record in slow fire.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:I just got back from a match a few minutes ago. The 70+ shooter next to me shot a new Grand Senior NRA national record in slow fire.
You are a spring chicken.

Post by Guest »

Fellas-believe me when I get what I want I will give it my best shot!
Robinhoods

I'm going to do the excersizes posted on the pilkgun site and start from the ground up
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

tomorrow I will make my decision.
thinking if the Pardini K12 is really worth $500 more than a morini Ei.
Looking at the 2014 top 25 in air pistol
13 are steyr LP
3 are pardini but two are K2
4 are morini
4 walther
the odd ball is the Match MG
the americn Wil Brown is ranked 7th and uses the LP-10

I'd like to show a little patronage and buy from Pilkguns
morini
robinhoods
conradin

Post by conradin »

PS. Do you have a club close by enough so you can try them all out?
conradin

Post by conradin »

I recall I once wrote to Vika Chaika and said that until she switched to LP10-E I will still stick with the mechanical version. If LP10 is good enough for her, its good enough for everyone.