History of shooting technique from different countries

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Sa-tevo

History of shooting technique from different countries

Post by Sa-tevo »

I wanted to start a thread on the topic of different schools of shooting that developed in different countries. It sounds like the Soviet Union had a institute for researching shooting sports, Germany and other countries had/have a strong shooting sports programs, and the United States had military and civilian shooting sports groups, all working on parallel ideas and practices.

I'd like to learn more about the programs from each country, styles and developments.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I believe it was the Russian shooting schools and shooting research that led to the back bend and twist technique for the standing position. The theory which has been recommended by sports sciences and coaches for as long as I can remember was to use as much of the human skeleton to support the rifle and the minimum of muscle. Before this people held the rifle like a shot gun or hunting rifle and muscle spasm was the big problem. I can remember in the very early days of air gun shooting comps, there was a mixture of the 2 holds on the range.