Sling Selection

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dave IRL

Sling Selection

Post by Dave IRL »

I'm currently thinking of changing my sling. I've been using one of the MEC/Centra ones for a few years. Currently on my second in fact as it's been replaced before, but the replacement has been beset by precisely the same problems as the original, in that the grub screw which goes through one of the knurled wheels and onto the threaded column which controls the length of the fine adjustment mechanism has gone missing, allowing the mechanism to either unwind or simply to strip off the rather shallow thread. The sling has broken apart and required a repair a number of times in training and competition as a result, and I'm losing faith in it.

As such, I'm considering a replacement. The first thing is to ask: Is there a good way to fix this so that it ceases to be a problem. In terms of function, I've had no problems at all with the sling and consider it a great bit of kit, but in terms of reliability, it's been poor. If I could fix that, it would be an agreeable, and significantly cheaper, alternative.

If a replacement seems like a better idea, I've narrowed the list down to some of the following. This isn't to say I'm not open to other suggestions, but these are comparatively easily available to me and meet my requirements for sturdiness of construction. Any experiences with these or alternatives to consider will be greatly appreciated.

Sauer Exact III Synthetic/Leather
Kurt Thune ATL
Akah Logic

All of these seem to have a pretty decent presence in international competition as well (as does the MEC), so they seem to have something going for them. The Akah seems to be quite popular, but I don't think I've ever gotten to handle one up close. What are they like? Soft or very stiff? Prone to stretching at all? The fine adjust system looks good.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

I have the Sauer Exact III in Synthetic and I love it. The micro adjustment piece is very strong and the material it is made of is very strong also. It doesn't stretch at all like my previous leather slings. I have heard good things about the KT sling but have never seen or used the Akah.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I would suggest something simple like the Hata slings. Or something like a Anschutz constant. Less things to break.
Matt
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

I use the Sauer Exact III, and love it.

My buddy uses the KT sling, and likes it.

I'm not familiar with the Akah, or the Hata versions.

I think it just comes down to personal preference at this point. It appears that the newer Sauer Exact IV version has relocated the buckle, so that it's away from the shooters hand/wrist, which is an issue on mine.

Good luck!
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I'm in the same KISS school of thought as Matt when it comes to slings: fewer things to break, and fewer things for me to fiddle with even though I know I shouldn't.

Hata slings (http://www.hataservices.com/precision-- ... lings.html) are very similar to a Kurt Thune double-buckle, but they're made by Mr. Yuji Hata, a competitive shooter in Hawaii. When and if my current sling wears out, I will likely replace it with a Hata sling.
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

Now that Sauer came out with an Exact IV, I wish I had waited and gotten that instead of the III. I think the single strap design is a great idea, but the Hata slings look very good too.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

"Maximum sling width is 40 mm. The sling must be worn only on the upper part of the left arm and from there be connected to the forend of the rifle stock. Slings may be attached to the forend of the rifle at a single point only. The sling must pass along one side of the hand or wrist only. No part of the rifle may touch the sling or any of its attachments except at the sling swivel and hand stop."

Is this the extent of sling rules? I have cut and pasted a right hand sling to make it left handed for my second daughter, and want to stay in the rules. At one place there are three layers of material riveted together. That is my concern.
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Hi Dave IRL
Have you tried loctite on the grub screw? or even super glue.
Much cheaper than a new sling. I have the same sling as you and like it very much but have also lost some screws as well, but all my replacements are glued in.

Both loctite and super glue can be undone as well.

hope this helps

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking?

Glen Turner
DLS

Post by DLS »

Nail polish works too, and the ladies always seem to have a color they don't want anymore.