The real Cesare Morini and his grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Please educate me on the function of extending the upper lip tail.

The fulcrums of pistol grip are three areas. From ISSF pistol academy picture on grip support. 1) upper part of middle finger middle phalanx 2) thumb/ index finger web space 3) wrist support at back of palm shelf.

You can loosen up all fingers. As long as those three areas are supported, pistol will be bolstered by gravity.

There is little recoil in AP, so why this extreme extension of upper lip tail??
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

seamaster wrote:Please educate me on the function of extending the upper lip tail.

Going out on a limb I think the extension is necessary to make the grip fit the hand.
Quite often there is a gap present even with an otherwise good fitting grip (palmshelf wise).

This is, at least, my experience. With the Morini I shoot, I have filled the same spot with foam tape as otherwise there is a bit of slop.

I should probably get some epoxy filler sooner or later.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

seamaster wrote:Please educate me on the function of extending the upper lip tail.

The fulcrums of pistol grip are three areas. From ISSF pistol academy picture on grip support. 1) upper part of middle finger middle phalanx 2) thumb/ index finger web space 3) wrist support at back of palm shelf.

You can loosen up all fingers. As long as those three areas are supported, pistol will be bolstered by gravity.

There is little recoil in AP, so why this extreme extension of upper lip tail??
You are correct, but I think it just helps give a better and more snug fit. Which I would also guess is why the ISSF legislated that part of the grip with regards both shape and size.

Rob.
therider

Post by therider »

Going by logic, that extension should work against the upward movement of the muzzle associated to recoil. If so it should not be necessary for a lupi. Can this be the reason why ISSF only limit the length for 25m pistol?

However the moment he filled that space with epoxy, the feeling of stability was greatly enhanced.
therider

Post by therider »

Update
I have now used the LP10E 6 times. 4 with standard grip, 2 with Cesare Morini's grip.
The best without grip was 90/100. Now I managed to shoot my first 94/100.
However I need real strength training, as I get my best scores always with the first series and then they deteriorates to 89 -90/100 and I get random scores such as 7.
I was in Munich last week at the opening of the season. I was surprised to see how many people from all other the planet came for a non official competition.
By the way I had the opportunity to see some of the athletes getting their first custom made grip, and this from Cesare Morini. The expression of amazement on their face when they tried the final product , told me that I have done the right thing!
I need now to get consistency.... Hopefully :-(
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

seamaster wrote:Did you shoot better with this grip?

Comfort and aesthetic vs. score might not correlate linearly. There is an old adage from an old Russian champ that he shoots best when grip is not TOO comfortable.

Very interest in your description of the careful application of material to the third finger support. Could you explain it in more detail what he was trying to do?
I also found this a little interesting. rounded edges are comfortable and easy to make a grip feel Like it fits well, they also dont allow you to pick up when you have small grip changes. My father use tob be a grip maker and Im hoping to learn the art. He learnt off Don Nygord and learnt to have sharp edges and sharp contours of the grip. if they fit your hand exactly they they arent uncomfortable but you can feel them. if you move your hand even a few mm from your normal position then the points and lines become uncomfortable and you are aware instantly before you even raise the pistol
therider

Post by therider »

Muffo
Do learn....then we will all fly to beautiful Au to get our grips!
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

therider wrote:Muffo
Do learn....then we will all fly to beautiful Au to get our grips!
Just at a guess Im thinking most people shooting now will be retired before im that good
Chris

Post by Chris »

I replaced the screws on the bottom of my LP10 with longer ones so I could increase the grip angle and keep the top tail of the grip from hitting the bottom of the rear sight.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I replaced the screws on the bottom of my LP10 with longer ones so I could increase the grip angle and keep the top tail of the grip from hitting the bottom of the rear sight.
FredB

question

Post by FredB »

Muffo wrote: I also found this a little interesting. rounded edges are comfortable and easy to make a grip feel Like it fits well, they also dont allow you to pick up when you have small grip changes. My father use tob be a grip maker and Im hoping to learn the art. He learnt off Don Nygord and learnt to have sharp edges and sharp contours of the grip. if they fit your hand exactly they they arent uncomfortable but you can feel them. if you move your hand even a few mm from your normal position then the points and lines become uncomfortable and you are aware instantly before you even raise the pistol
What about when your hand changes due to cold or hot temperatures, or humidity, or just because hands don't stay exactly the same? Did your father explain how that works with the sharp edges? I'm really curious.
therider

Post by therider »

FredB
I guess the good thing about the sharp edge is that the bones do not change their length with temperature! So fixing the hand position with an edge which sits exactly in the distal joint is good!
I heard Cesare Morini explaining an athlete in Munich last week, who at the end of the grip fitting was describing that he did not have a perfect contact in the web and that would have liked to have more filler there, that it was very cold and that he preferred to leave a bit of room for expansion when shooting it more normal temperatures.
Jack OAT

Post by Jack OAT »

therider wrote: The filler is 2 components wood epoxy filler, from Industria Chimica Reggiana
Hello therider,
just curious: did he apply something on your hand before making you mold the epoxy with it? Or did he make you grip it with your bare hand? Thanks.
therider

Post by therider »

Hi Jack,
He gave me just hand cream, and nothing sticked on the skin.
However I was recently checking the filler. It was polyester base, not epoxy as I previously wrote.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

It's "stucco per legno", for wood repairs. The same stuff Morini SA sells, except that Morini has a different label and triples the price.
therider

Post by therider »

Tycho is right.
Industria Chimica Reggiana, sprint s30/s32/s33. Polyester 2 component with wood fibers. As far as I have seen one of the few products which contains wood fibers. It costs a few euros in a colour shop in Italy.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Tycho

Post by Tycho »

If somebody can point me to an online shop that stocks that stuff, for the Italian street price, AND exports it in smaller units than truckloads, I'm giving out a beer!
therider

Post by therider »

Tycho
I have been searching the net a lot for that. I could not find any. Then I decided that I will go to a paint shop and buy it there, as I need it for repairing some furniture. Ghostrip called ICR and was referred to a Greek dealer, but he only distributed products for boats and yatch.
therider

GOT IT!!!!

Post by therider »

Guys,
after hours and hours spent on what sometimes is a useless net, I have found an online seller of ICR sprint.
It is the ebay seller : compralosubito2013
he has 100% positive feedback, with other 10,000 transaction.
He is based in Venice
link: http://www.ebay.it/itm/STUCCO-per-LEGNO ... 0908197985
Cost: 5 euros for 125ml!!!!!!!!

I have also found a big shop in parma:
http://www.comatparma.it
I have sent them a mail asking if they can ship the product.

Hope this helps.