Anschutz vs FWB vs Walther vs Steyr

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

nzhills

Anschutz vs FWB vs Walther vs Steyr

Post by nzhills »

Hi
I am thinking about moving up from my Anschutz Super Air 2001 to a PCP. Either an Anschutz 8002 or FWB700 Alu or Walther LG400 Alutec or Steyr LG110. I'm 6 foot 5 and lanky. Mechanically they would all be indistinguishable, i.e. far more accurate than I. But is one better suited to tall people, does the Anschutz have the best trigger? Please tell me your thoughts.
Regards
Mark
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

The Walther LG400 is pretty light, and the 9003 Precise feels heavier. The trigger on the 8002/9003 is better than the match 54 trigger. The LG 400 trigger is also better than the current match 54 trigger, and maybe it is better than the 8002/9003, that is a close call. Both are almost perfect but I like the 9003 better.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I have to say I have been an Anschutz smallbore shooter, and fan, since I started shooting smallbore as an Air Cadet back in 1978. Apart from the first rifle I owned, a Valmet Finnish Lion which I had for about a year, I have shot an Anschutz 1813 ever since. I thought the trigger on that was as good as you could get. My daughter is now shooting with the 1813.

She also shoots Air Rifle and now has a Walther LG 400 Alutec. I thought the Anschutz 5018 trigger was good but the one on the Walther is much much better. I have also tried a couple of FWB 700's and the triggers IMO where not as good as the LG 400. The Steyr trigger is about as good as the FWB. I have not tried the Anschutz Air Rifle though. Also my daughter would like to get a Walther KK300 for smallbore to match the Air Rifle, the KK300 trigger being about as good as the LG400.

As you are as you say quite tall and lanky, I would suggest considering getting the Aluminium air cylinder over the steel one. Rosie has a steel one, and it dose move the CG forwards, requiring some weight to be added to the rear of the rifle. Of course it is quite a light rifle, so you would probably want to add weight anyway, but is is always nice to have the balance point close to where you want it before adding anything.

Alan
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

The Anschutz 2002CA used the 5018 trigger that is also shared by the smallbore match rifles. The 8002 and 9003 use a completely different trigger, the 5065. I owned a standard 9003 then traded it on a Precise 9003 to match my 1907 Precise smallbore. I have had many 1900 series rifles and the 5065 triggers are certainly better. Same with the LG400 trigger, absolutely amazing.
The Walther can also be filled to a higher pressure so the shot count is about 50% more than the Anschutz. That can save taking a spare cylinder or air bottle on a trip.
I changed out the Precise porcupine buttplate for same model MEC used on the LG400.
I also owned a Steyr LG110 and I really did not like the fit at all. I felt that trigger was inferior to the 5018 model. It also felt very small. I did not keep it long.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Pretty much a Ford, Chevy Dodge discussion. The preface to this is to try them all out, there are plus and minuses to all of them and nothing says it fits like actual trial.

I helped with the rifle EQ check at the Winter Airgun in December and one thing I noticed (especially on tall lanky men) the riser blocks required on some guns pushed the limits of the ISSF front sight maximums. The FWB 800's seemed to have been tooled to make sure they meet exactly the maximum height restrictions. Setting more riser blocks seems to be trending for a more erect head height position. So I'm not too sure what your posture preference is. FWIW I think the majority of the top air rifle shooters had FWB, followed by Walther, Anschutz and I think there was 1 Steyr. Just trending flavor of the day but I thought it was interesting. With that said though, I saw a shooters use a modified FWB 700 junior or Anschutz 8002 and clean house!

Triggers, I agree with others here, the Walther seems to have a really good trigger mechanism. My son likes the FWB but thats more a personal choice than technical.
Oklahoma Jim

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I'm about your size and my 8002 fits me very well. You can't go wrong with any of the guns you've mentioned.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I personally like my FWB trigger but that's just me. Breaks like glass and is incredibly consistent.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I think the best way to select is to try. If you have access to the different makes then its good to hold, compare, try out, then make a decision. Also what kind of back up do you have for the various brands.

JSB
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I actually looked for this thread because I was curious of the OP's decision.

I would agree with JSB. Living with one for a month or so really tells me a lot. I shoot higher scores with the Walther, but the 9003 feels heavier or maybe balanced better? This kinda funny because the LG400 has less wobble and less 3:00 drift- my big issue now. The loading on the Walther is much easier, and I like the loading indicator. I am shooing the 9003 Precise now and it probably rates a subjective 98 compared to the 100 Walther, but I want to keep the 9003 because I have a 1907 in the same Precise stock. I guess that is why I am dragging my feet about selling one, to fully concentrate on one model. In some sense I should go with the Walther but maybe the Anscuhtz will come around.

So hopefully you can buy both and keep one after 6 month of trial. I really need to commit to one, and just get the other out of the house. I am fortunate to have a 10M range at my house, and both look like they belong on the wall. Commentary on "feel" is so personal, but top brands are really close on mechanical attributes, it really comes down to feel. Financially you will take a 10% or higher financial loss by buying both, but that is nothing compared to the time most spend practicing. The cost of shooting is nothing compared to car racing, boating or horses.
nzhills

Post by nzhills »

Hi Terry et al
Background, I shot smallbore & fullbore, then discovered motorcycles, thought I'd be the next Kevin Schwantz, this ended when the scenery got in the way. 2 decades later I tried 10 meter standing air rifle. No real weight on my left elbow. Started with a Super Air 2001 of dubious / unknown history. Even so, love the event. Its a bugger taking the rifle out of the shoulder, charging it, then adopting the position again, especially cranking the neck down to the rear sight. This is not aiding the consistency I'm looking for, zero wanders, need to be more consistent with butt plate position, (need to get the rifle set up for my height, 6 foot 5, but have run out of adjustment). I live in New Zealand and there aren't many into 10 m standing air rifle. Additionally, I'm not as fiscal as I want so will be getting one rifle to replace the Super Air. My wife is Polish so I thought I could branch out on a trip with her to see her family and I could wander next door and pick up a rifle in Germany. I'm going to try and spend a bit of time with the MEC crowd in Dortmund and get some good instruction on the foundations. After saying all that it looks like the Walther LG400 has a few more features going for it than the others, 300 bar reservoir, better butt plate, the best trigger, (I think my Super Air has a better trigger than an FWB700, IMHO). Anyway I wanted others in a better position than I to get their opinions on where I should start looking, (will have to specify riser blocks on anything I buy).
Mark
ashlee52

Post by ashlee52 »

NZHills

I just made the transition from a Super Air 2002 SSP to the LG400. Like you I'm lanky (6'4") and no longer a kid. The LG400 is a huge improvement... I can lengthen it to fit perfectly, my heart rate stays lower without all the pumping, and the gun is lighter and more comfortable to hold. You will love it. I did buy sight risers, since they didn't come with the "Comp" model.

All the current 10 meter guns are probably equally wonderful. But I don't have a regret in the world about having chosen the LG400.

I live in a rural area far from any scuba shops. So I opted for a hand pump to fill the air tank. I find that pretty easy, and the gun seems to shoot forever on a 250 BAR fill up.

Ash