SCATT MX-02 Review Available on AccurateShooter.com

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bluetentacle

SCATT MX-02 Review Available on AccurateShooter.com

Post by bluetentacle »

This is the new SCATT model capable of outdoor use.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ng-system/

We welcome constructive feedback!

(Link fixed.)
guidolastra

scatt mx-02

Post by guidolastra »

I just got this expensive piece of equipment. I use it mostly indoors for air rifle and 3 P training at a distance of 10 meters. I have to say it is wonderful for air rifle training, you just point, it calibrates and you are done. No frame, no cables for the most part and works wonderful.
The issue comes when you go to the smallbore 3P at the same distance (10 meters, simulating 50), I do not get the sensor to show me the cross hair and register the calibration shot. It seems to pick it up intermittently and does not allow the calibration.
I am just surprised that it does not have any problem for the 10 meters air rifle, air pistol and even for 50 meters pistol (i have tested all those). but it just does not work for smallbore rifle and big bore (300 meters simulated distance).
My target seems to be well lit, since the problem is only for the 50/300 meters rifle, so I am not sure what is going on.
From the review mentioned in this thread it seems like there is a parallax error going on, however I cannot explain why it works for some distances and not the others.
Any help will be appreciated. I did send a message to scatt.com, but so far I have had no answer.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Are you using the correct target, scaled to the correct distance? I had this issue when the size of the target dot was off.
guidolastra

scatt mx-02

Post by guidolastra »

bluetentacle wrote:Are you using the correct target, scaled to the correct distance? I had this issue when the size of the target dot was off.
Thanks. Yes, I use the 10 meters air rifle target as I used to do with my previous scatt solution.
bluetentacle

Re: scatt mx-02

Post by bluetentacle »

guidolastra wrote:
bluetentacle wrote:Are you using the correct target, scaled to the correct distance? I had this issue when the size of the target dot was off.
Thanks. Yes, I use the 10 meters air rifle target as I used to do with my previous scatt solution.
Uh, you need to use the scatt software to print out a 50m target scaled down to 10m. Unlike IR SCATT, MX-02 is sensitive to the apparent size of the bullseye. The 10m bullseye is angularly bigger than the 50m bullseye.
Bruno Almeida

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Is it possible to use this equipament for the distance of 2,5 metres with air rifle ?

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Bruno Almeida wrote:Is it possible to use this equipament for the distance of 2,5 metres with air rifle ?

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
yes according to the instructions. Just need to select the distance on the sensor.
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

bluetentacle wrote:
guidolastra wrote:
Uh, you need to use the scatt software to print out a 50m target scaled down to 10m. Unlike IR SCATT, MX-02 is sensitive to the apparent size of the bullseye. The 10m bullseye is angularly bigger than the 50m bullseye.
This is correct you must print a target using the SCATT software. Obviously on good white paper so the contrast from black to white is the best it can be.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

HWN1011 wrote:
bluetentacle wrote:
guidolastra wrote:
This is correct you must print a target using the SCATT software. Obviously on good white paper so the contrast from black to white is the best it can be.
I did try to adjust the brass screws last night and did not really work. I will certainly try printing new targets today as recommended by you and will let you know.
Still no answer from Scatt...
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

HWN1011 wrote:
bluetentacle wrote:
guidolastra wrote:
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

guidolastra wrote:
HWN1011 wrote:
bluetentacle wrote:
guidolastra wrote:
It actually worked. I did print a scaled 50 meters smallbore rifle on a white background. I also noticed the target is way smaller than a 10 meters air rifle target. Image attached.
thanks a lot !
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

The problem with that Air rifle target is probably not the size for the Scatt but the colour of the paper not being white and also the other text and logos on the target. The size would have been more of an issue for your sights than the scatt.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

It's the size. In my experience, the size difference between a target printed for 6.5 meters and one printed for 6 meters is enough to throw off the sensor.
Erud

Post by Erud »

Tony,
Thanks a lot for the review. I have a few questions for you about the MX-02, if you don't mind:

Since it doesn't work with multi-bull targets, do you know if it will work on a Highpower range with multiple targets up at once? Just wondering how much separation is required to a kind he unit being "confused". I wouldn't imagine doing a ton of work with it during live-fire practice, but I do have access to a range with electronic target system and found your actual targets vs SCATT trace targets to be very interesting.

Looking at your pictures in the article, it appears that you have hardwood or similarly shiny-ish flooring. Did you have any difficulty with reflection from the floor between the rifle and target? I had some issues with this with a regular SCATT USB that I tried out and had to place a box on the floor at he mid point to break up reflection. It never seemed to work quite right, so I am wondering if the new unit may have similar difficulty.

Do you have any idea if it will work with an Apple computer running Windows 7? Windows runs perfectly on the Mac and I use it for several Windows-only applications that I need to use for work. I was not able to get the SCATT USB to work on it and could not figure out why. Any other hardware I plug into it lets me select if I want to use it with Mac OS or Windows, but not the SCATT.

Again, thanks for the well-written review. If you are able to answer any of my questions, it will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Erik
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Hi Erud, here are my answers:

1) I don't know if it works with High Power targets at 600 yards and beyond, where the targets are close together. I'm pretty certain that it will work with 200 and 300 yard targets. But that's something I've yet to find out, hopefully soon.

2) Reflection from the floor is not a problem. It wasn't an issue with USB SCATT for me either.

3) I have a MacBook Pro with Windows 7 running in Parallels VM. The sensor is successfully detected by Windows and the SCATT application. I don't dual boot between Windows and OS X however, and therefore can't tell you if it works with straight-up Windows 7 on a Mac.
Erud

Post by Erud »

Tony, thanks for the reply. I am also running windows 7 on parallels desktop, so it sounds like it would work for me.

Thanks!
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

I picked up a MX2 in Germany at Bavarian Airgun. We have been using it for a little over a week now. It works great, very little difference from the scatt USB we were using. As has been pointed out, it is sensitive to the size of the bull. If you are using at some non standard distance you will need to measure the range and print the proper scaled target. Also, there is a dial on the front lense that must be set to the proper range. Failure to do either on or both of these will result erroneous readings or (more likely) it will not work at all.

So far we have just used the unit for 10m air rifle, dry and live fire and 50ft smallbore, dry and live fire. I now have it married up to an Asus t100 tablet computer. Scatt and tablet combined make a very compact solution.
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

Hi

Anyone having USB connection problems with the Scatt MX-02??

Henry
hardhit

Post by hardhit »

No issues with connection. It does require good lighting conditions. In my club I can only shoot on 2 ranges, they have enough light, the others cause problems.

Note: Since Friday there is a new version of the software available. In this new version you can now see the image of the camera as a preview to better calibrate the sensor.
PhilipM

Post by PhilipM »

Is the Scatt MX-02 also useful as a replacement of electronic targets such as Meyton on a 10 meter airrifle range ?

I'm not looking for the same accuracy as a Meyton device, but if the MX-02 can reliably show hits with e.g. a 0.2 point error margin than its function for shot analysis can be extended with use as an electronic target for practice. The distance would be 10 meters which would reduce the parallax effect.

Has anyone tried this ?